Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Even though you are 50+, Bicycling and Fit, are you still Snow Shovelling?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Even though you are 50+, Bicycling and Fit, are you still Snow Shovelling?

Old 02-02-21, 12:22 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I'm 69 this winter and it's my fourth in North Idaho. At the beginning of this winter, I sold my snow blower to a neighbor because I didn't use it since that first winter here. Found it was faster and simpler to just use a shovel to get the snow off the driveway and sidewalk. My driveway isn't terribly long, so it's no big effort to clear it.
Old 02-02-21, 08:49 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 165 Posts
No. I live in San Clemente.
Old 02-02-21, 09:40 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
I haven't owned a car since 2012; I haven't lived in a residence that didn't have staff to clear sidewalks since 2004. And when I visit my parents, they live in the desert.
So no snow shoveling for me in ages. Which is as it should be...
Old 02-02-21, 10:40 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Snowblower with the shovel to clean up some small areas. I have 100' of sidewalk and a 100' driveway, first 20' on a steep pitch. Add the back patio plus I do the sidewalk for the next door neighbor. That is too much for me to do by shovel.
Old 02-02-21, 02:10 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I am 65, (numerous health issues), I love shoveling snow I guess because of my ADD/OCD.

I will shovel for hours and have no problem shoveling the entire street. Yeah, I'm that guy.

It's all about the shovel and how it works for you, I used to make 'Frankenstein' shovels. Swapping longer lightweight metal shafts and D handles to small plastic scoopers(?).

About 8 years ago I found a cheap grocery store model that I loved, but it was cheap and it broke. My wife found a store in Utah selling on eBay that had fifteen of them, she bought them all.

I have about 6 left, I keep them hidden in the attic. Like a miser's gold.

Going out to shovel now.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 02-02-21, 03:44 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Nope, not anymore. Moved into over 55 community in March...they do all that stuff now. Gave my shovels to son.
Old 02-02-21, 07:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
I am 65, (numerous health issues), I love shoveling snow I guess because of my ADD/OCD.

I will shovel for hours and have no problem shoveling the entire street. Yeah, I'm that guy.

It's all about the shovel and how it works for you, I used to make 'Frankenstein' shovels. Swapping longer lightweight metal shafts and D handles to small plastic scoopers(?).

About 8 years ago I found a cheap grocery store model that I loved, but it was cheap and it broke. My wife found a store in Utah selling on eBay that had fifteen of them, she bought them all.

Going out to shovel now.
My Hero!

I go through 2-3 shovels a year, usually grabbing the cheapest/lightest units I can find. I recently noticed my present favorite is starting to crack. I've never considered buying them in bulk, good idea! Much cheaper than motorized snow removing machines and gas... and a good workout to boot.
Old 02-02-21, 08:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
Nope.....and I am glad I am not being in Florida.

Old 02-03-21, 07:11 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
My son has his own house on a private road. Luckily his neighbor has a plow and clears the area for him.

I have a rather steep driveway that's not very long so a snow blower would never get traction.

I've dug out many a driveway.
Prior to moving 3 years ago, my previous house has a fairly long driveway that went downhill to the garages. The slope wasn’t onerous but was certainly considered steep. It was much longer and steeper than the driveway in your photo. I never had any issues getting my Ariens snowblower going up/down the driveway, and in the Boston area we get some major snowfalls.

As far as I know, all snowblowers are self-propelled and have multiple speeds in forward and reverse. I almost always used the slowest forward speed and never had traction problems, even in snow higher than I care to remember.
Old 02-03-21, 08:35 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I just dug out a 14" snowfall on Monday. I did my house and my 82 year old neighbor's house.

All by hand.
Old 02-03-21, 08:37 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I just dug out a 14" snowfall on Monday. I did my house and my 82 year old neighbor's house.

All by hand.
That’s your choice. I would opt for an easier solution. Stay healthy & safe!
Old 02-03-21, 08:41 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
That’s your choice. I would opt for an easier solution. Stay healthy & safe!
There's always the option to pay someone else.

I also cut my lawn, clean my house, do interior painting and oil changes on my cars. I also ride 5000 miles a year.

I guess if I had a 100' double wide driveway and a 2 car garage to store a snow plow I might reconsider.

I could also get a e-bike

We each do what works for us.
Old 02-03-21, 09:15 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Snow Shovelling is supposed to be the Bane of our age group.
I'm close to 60. We don't get a lot of snow in the Pacific Northwest. Two years ago however we had some heavy snowfall. I dug our cars out, and helped the lady across the street. It wasn't strenuous.

My take on Snow Shovelling, which could be wrong, is that it involves a different type of fitness that Bicycling gives you. It's more like Cross Fit, with intense sudden muscular movements using large amounts of strength rather than the rhythmic steady state exercise we get.
Actually I'm sticking this out there as an open question .
Anyone got any thoughts?
I’m 72 and have to admit I haven’t shoveled snow, other than to dig out my car a few times, in almost 50 years. First, my teen aged step son did it in order to get driving lessons/privileges. Then I moved to NYC apartment buildings that had a staff for that. Now I live in a suburban condo where we contract for snow removal.

So for me, snow shoveling does require different muscles. It requires the ones that write a check.
Old 02-03-21, 10:23 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Do I snow shovel? Yeah, a little!

To the workshop

Raking the workshop roof

Gotta get a route to the hot tub!
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 02-03-21, 01:48 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
When I find the time I'll post a video of a hill I climb with my SS bike. I dont see many over 60 try it, even with the small chain ring. Most dismount and walk.
Most here will do it easily, more easily than me but is it worth the 170 HR I get the last segment?
I did bicycling and cross country skiing up to 30yr old (no official racing but at a pretty high level, did some 50-80km long distance cross country races (those open to public), then for twenty yrs not much of anything and when I picked up bicycling again @50+, I soon figured I might as well dismount and walk some more serious or longer hills. On longer hills, I do it the 'Indian way', walk a bit and ride a bit till my legs freeze up, then walk again... Mind you, I have 40x23 lightest gear. I figured it is pointless at this age to torture oneself since the training/health gains from such strenuous activity are pretty well none, mostly can only have negative effects. That said, sometimes when another bicylist is around, I feel ashamed and dig in and make it And feel quite healthy all around still at 63 but why push it.

I shovel snow and when it is a foot deep or more, I take breaks in between to look around and generally take it slower (my brother would take smoke breaks, I don't have that excuse ). I can see how snow shoveling is hazardous for many, as we all hear about it. It is the sudden heavy load, we all have memories how when young we handled it and try to go at it the same way still.

Last edited by vane171; 02-03-21 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 07:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I shovel snow, as we have it here so infrequently in northern VA. I have a snowblower, but haven't fired it up in the last 4 years or so. I'd rather shovel. Like others here, I take breaks (or brakes) and make certain that my heart rate and breathing are within normal limits. I also don't dress my core too warmly, allowing my body to dump the heat I'm generating. Again, no lifting from the back, etc.
Old 02-05-21, 12:05 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Yes, and quite frequently lately, 6” of the stuff this evening. Then again I’m only 65.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 02-05-21 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 08:18 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
8” with drifting and lake effect snow all day and tomorrow. I’m plowing snow, shovelling snow, brushing snow...
Old 02-05-21, 12:13 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
One spring, after a particularly snowy winter that had 5 foot piles of snow next to my driveway, the wife and I did a bicycle tour on the eastern side of Switzerland hitting Germany, Austria, and Liechtenstein. After the cycling was done we spent a few days touring around including a day tour to Mount Titlis. Our bus was mostly full of tourists from Pakistan and India with a handful of Canadians. Long story short it takes 3 gondola rides to get to the highest spot but the last gondola was down for repairs. The second spot was pretty high up and it was snowing hard. The Pakistani and Indian folks were running around like crazy people with their tongues out and making little snowmen and generally enjoying themselves having never seen snow before. The Canadians, and us (Minnesotans) were, of course, bummed. The tour guide was all "Look! Snow! Isn't this the greatest?" and I'm like, "Dude, I had 5 feet of this in my yard last month." The Canadians were upset and complained enough that we got refunds!
Old 02-11-21, 11:26 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Ah ... this is a better pix of what snow shoveling can be for me. Ugh. Good luck with that ...

Old 02-17-21, 07:50 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi

Going out to shovel now.
My son gave me a Snow Joe shovel a couple weeks ago - it is an amazing shovel for $20. I will never be without one now!
Old 02-18-21, 08:51 AM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
70 here and just came in from throwing snow for two hours.

As a near livelong and daily cyclist and general endurance yob, I feel like I have a realistic handle on "perceived effort" and pacing.

I'm not under the delusion that blokes like me don't fall dead every day. It goes with 70. Maybe that's ok.

Ok or not, I'm back out throwing snow in an hour..
Old 02-20-21, 02:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We got the largest snowfall in several years earlier this week and had the opportunity to snovel some show.
Reminded myself to bend at the knees. Kinda enjoyed it - a bit of stiffness in lower back a day or two later but no real discomfort. Worked pretty hard but no heavy breathing or fast heart rate that I could tell. Lots of snow but fairly fluffy.
Due to several days of cold weather and then the snow, haven't been on a bike for a week. Now that hurts!

Old 02-21-21, 08:45 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Not this year we were sharing a house/garage with my brother and he has COPD badly so I volunteered to shovel the snow but we now live in a 2nd. story one bedroom apartment so the only shoveling I still do is to get the snow off of and out of our old Ford Rangers bed so I can get the bikes in it if I need to!

Old 02-23-21, 04:16 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I finally found an older (2017) picture I've been meaning to find and post since this thread started.

Does anyone else have a matching bicycle and snow shovel?

Likes For Squeeze:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.