Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Any board game fans out there?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Any board game fans out there?

Old 08-09-17, 12:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,444 Posts
I've lost some friends playing cutthroat Monopoly. Most folks think Monopoly -- like life -- is purely luck and a roll of the dice. They think they'll win because they're cute, have blonde hair and blue eyes, or they'll eventually win because "It's my turn to win and it's all just random chance anyway."

Cutthroat Monopoly, the way it's meant to be played, allows for a lot of wheeling and dealing, trades and special favors. Exactly like real life and business.

And it's also rigged by the order of play -- who gets to go first, and the mathematical odds of landing first on certain properties to buy them, as well as the odds of subsequent players landing on those properties and paying rent.

IOW, it's a great example of how privilege works without the baggage of gender or race. Each new game reshuffles the privilege opportunities.

Needless to say, hardly anyone in my family or friends ever wanted to play me twice in cutthroat Monopoly. They'd immediately suggest spades, which I usually won too because it adds the same elements of poker -- reading opponents' tells.

If I behaved in life the way I do playing Monopoly, I'd be wealthy and despised. I'm neither. Not sure what to make of that lesson.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-10-17, 04:43 AM
sacrephies

Bikes: Peugeot PL 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Munchkin is a nice game to play. Tho, you gotta set a timer on move if there's a lot of people participating in the game
Old 08-14-17, 08:59 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,418 Times in 1,045 Posts
We got Munchkin, my kids enjoy it, I don't really get the appeal of that sort of game (or MtG, or Pokemon, or dungeons&dragons, etc), but at least Munchkins makes it funny.

Picked up Fluxx (5.0), and played a bunch of rounds of that. Fantastic game, so glad I got it! After a while I'll get the Holy Grail edition to spice things up.
Old 08-14-17, 11:10 PM
bwilli88 

Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have quite a few in Lancaster, PA

Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse dingle speed, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 78 Raleigh Supercourse, 83 Centurion Pro-Tour, 82 Raleigh RRA.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 254 Posts
I like to play Monopoly with two boards. Any 3 way Monopoly can happen and work, you might have 2 park places and then you have a monopoly, gets real exciting with all of a color set. Play starts on one board and goes around and the goes to the second board start and then goes around it and then continued back to the first board. I have also played double board Risk as a extra large planet or as 2 where a person develops space flight upon achieving a full continent allowing then to start placing armies on the new planet 1 per turn.
Old 10-08-17, 02:44 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
My son has just gotten into this boardless game called Star Wars Armada where you move ships around the table top (but not outside the defined playing area) and try to shoot each other down.
Old 10-08-17, 07:22 PM
1989Pre
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
A chess rule I would change is the check and checkmate procedure. Taking the king should be done without declaring check.
Physically removing the King is unnecessary. Calling checkmate is sufficient and proper chess etiquette.
Old 10-08-17, 07:44 PM
dynodonn 
Out on Parole

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
I have fond memories of playing Sorry along side the highway with a group of adolescent children, waiting for repair parts to fix our broke down car.
Old 10-09-17, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
One of our local 'sports bars' has a stack of different board games to use, there, a no cost borrow .
Old 03-18-21, 01:31 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 5093 Post(s)
Liked 1,804 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Love love love Carcassonne, including Builders&Traders and Inns&Cathedrals extensions (and River I and II). Got the game as a Kindle app as well, that's pretty fun, to be able to play with other humans online. Also bought a bunch of meeples (meeplesource.com) so we can play as astronauts, aliens, monsters, zombies, pirates, or ninjas)

Like Settlers of Catan pretty well, but never as much as Carcassonne.

I've played Ticket to Ride, that's really fun, last week I got to play the European edition, I don't think the tunnels&ferries really add much to the game.
We have and play these three. Lately not as much

Top games over the past year for my family of three have been:
Wingspan - heavily lately and getting the Euro expansion today
Azule - quite a bit too
Tsuro - when a quick game is wanted
Go - with my son when we need a two player

Originally Posted by jadi View Post
You can also try the Pandemic. I liked it.
Me? Not so much.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 03-18-21, 10:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,418 Times in 1,045 Posts
Got into Dominion through my son, started with the 'big box' of Dominion+Intrigue, then got him Prosperity, then we discovered the online dominion.games and there's no going back. Not having to shuffle or keep meticulous track of extra actions/buys/coins is like playing Risk and not having to make change with the armies.
Old 03-19-21, 12:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 791 Posts
Funny you should mention that. Today I came across our stack of dominion boxes from about five years ago when we used to play. I don’t know what to do with them or if my wife would let me get rid of them at all. Our most recent acquisition has been Sagrada. Given the kids and our time to play, bite sized is how it has to be.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-19-21, 10:01 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 411 Posts
This is most (mostly up to date) current collection:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Wylann

I have 3 on kickstarter right now. That seems to be more or less a floating average these days.
Old 03-21-21, 09:11 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
This is most (mostly up to date) current collection:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Wylann
Saboteur is such a fun game with friends, I miss playing that one. Similarly, the resistance Avalon is still one of my favorite group games and Roll for the Galaxy is one of my overall favorites. Wanted to jump and get Archipelago back when it came out, but man that game is a whopper to learn.
Likes For EJ123:
Old 03-22-21, 08:11 AM
Notso_fastLane

I don't own Archipelago, but a gamer friend when I lived in Savannah had it and it was one of his favorite games, so we played it a lot. I enjoyed it, but not enough to want to get a copy. One that I've been thinking about getting that I played a lot there was ethnos, but until it looks like gaming is going to be a thing again (you know, that pandemic issue) I will stick to the occasional kickstarter, and getting a couple more solo games.

I actually started the local game group when I moved here to Layton a few years ago. We had consistently had 5-8 people show up every week when the pandemic hit.
Old 03-22-21, 08:19 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
How is the area out there? Was looking at jobs in Ogden the other day ironically.
Old 03-22-21, 09:29 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 109 Posts
This one was a favorite in my youth, it hit closer to home as time went on, and more water passed under my bridge.

Last edited by roundypndr; 03-22-21 at 09:42 PM.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 03-23-21, 09:48 AM
Notso_fastLane

Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
How is the area out there? Was looking at jobs in Ogden the other day ironically.
Depends on what you want.

My wife and I aren't really fans of the area. The geography is gorgeous, lots of hiking and outdoor stuff, but the people... Also, if you enjoy alcoholic beverages, be prepared to have a hard time finding what you like, and spending ~3x anywhere else in the country. I'm not a big drinker (maybe 2-3 beverages/week) but the liquor laws here drive me to drink.

Also, housing is ridiculously expensive (and very hard to find). They are building like crazy, but the housing market is a good 10 years behind the growth.

We are hoping to move out of the area soon.
Old 03-23-21, 10:35 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10713 Post(s)
Liked 2,733 Times in 1,876 Posts
Someone mention bored games?

OK we used to do all sorts of variants of Monopoly... and of course Scrabble was always a good one. And I certainly remember "Mouse Trap" in my youth, as well as 3D Chess.

But honestly, have not played any of those in about 10 years... And Scrabble didn't even take up much room.
Old 03-24-21, 08:06 AM
Notso_fastLane

I just backed the Stellaris game on kickstarter. It looks like a good adaptation of the video game to the table top format, with a legacy system. I legacy system for those not familiar is where the game has a way of 'saving' the results of the last play, and it affects the setup for the next. This allows an epic game that could span 10+ sessions to be played in successive ~2 hr sessions. I'm really interested in seeing how this will work.
Old 03-24-21, 08:44 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4113 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Got into Dominion through my son, started with the 'big box' of Dominion+Intrigue, then got him Prosperity, then we discovered the online dominion.games and there's no going back. Not having to shuffle or keep meticulous track of extra actions/buys/coins is like playing Risk and not having to make change with the armies.
When I still played Risk from time to time we used to play it without dice. Simply take an army for an army so you need 2 armies more to invade a neighbouring country. For every turn with a conquest you get a card, and if you have or have conquered the country on a card you have, you can place the number of armies corresponding to the image on the card on that country and use them for the next move in the same turn. Of course the card has to go back in the neutral stack. A card of a country can also be played in defense. Players keep their cards blind for the other players.

This makes the game much quicker of course, because simply taking the same number of armies off is much faster. But it also makes it more strategic because the luck factor is smaller and more forseeable as the player know which cards he has and can remember which cards have been played recently. In general there will be more armies on the board and conquests will be a lot bigger, so it gets much more dynamic per turn and not only faster. There are still gambles to take though, because you don't know which cards the defender has, including the Jokers, but it's more 'educated gambles'. Of course the heigth of another player's stack of cards is something to watch.

Anyway, I haven't played it with dice since unless forced to by the other players at the table. .
Old 03-24-21, 09:07 AM
majmt

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
Go is the best board game, hands down. This is a quote from a classic novel, it may not be true, but it's worth repeating..

"Life is a simplified paradigm of Go."

The way I like to describe the learning process is that your brain melts and flows out your ears. It really did feel like my brain was on fire, I've never thought so hard, before or since.

What Is Go? | American Go Association

Another quote (probably from the same novel): “Go is to Western chess what philosophy is to double-entry accounting”
Old 03-27-21, 03:42 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 290 Posts
Board games but so much but dungeons and dragons and other RPGs yes. Also tabletop miniatures games of the fantasy variety (warhammer, frostgrave etc)
Old 08-05-21, 03:32 PM
soap94

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had a meeting with my friends and we decided to spice up our time together. Long story short, we decided to play Honestly, I was surprised how good and well-designed modern games are. Lucky, my friend also had a VR and it made our experience even better. I know it is more a “board game” related thread, but guys Try new things, i would never even though about games like these.
Likes For soap94:
Old 08-05-21, 10:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2461 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 996 Posts
I absolutely love Puerto Rico. There is an online version on Board Game Arena which is fantastic it makes playing way easier, less fun because you aren't together in the same room but with Zoom these days you can still have a good time. I also Ticket to Ride but haven't had a chance to play that in a while.
Old 08-08-21, 08:01 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
I have been rediscovering some games from my youth while playing with my wife and 4 year old son. He likes games like Trouble, Candyland, a kids version of Bingo (red sliding thing with yellow chips with images to place on your card) and eeBoo Butterflies Square Matching Game. He also plays some games and abcmouse.com on the ipad. Let me know if you can recommend some games for kids at kindergarten level.
Mancala?

Originally Posted by late View Post
Go is the best board game, hands down. This is a quote from a classic novel, it may not be true, but it's worth repeating..

"Life is a simplified paradigm of Go."

The way I like to describe the learning process is that your brain melts and flows out your ears. It really did feel like my brain was on fire, I've never thought so hard, before or since.

What Is Go? | American Go Association
I want to like Go... but man, it's complex! (Then again, it would probably make a big difference to learn from someone rather than just reading online. Not having ADHD might also help greatly.)

I don't really have anyone to play board games with, unfortunately (and I think these days, most people would think it was "weird" if I were like, "Hey, let's play a board game!". And, I'm not "hip" on games in the last 20 years, so what I play is largely things like mancala (I keep trying to figure out solitaire mancala), reversi, etc. I do have a small Go set and keep meaning to set up small problems for myself (there's no way I'd probably ever play well enough to actually play, let alone be able to explain to someone else how to play) but frankly I like the "play against the computer" versions because when I can't see a move, it can see it for me and I'll know why I went wrong or if I missed something without realizing it.

I do enjoy Monopoly, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, etc. Always wanted to play Life as a kid but never did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.