Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

About electric vehicles

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

About electric vehicles

Old 05-19-21, 11:12 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I would have guessed that the bulk of air travel is for business. Is that not the case? Or maybe that's within-country, but international travel is more tourism?
I don't know actually, I was reacting to 'see the world'. What I do know is that the US is different in the sense that national air travel makes sense and Amercans don't go outside the country much. What I do know is that most people here fly two or even three times a year for vacation, but many also for a weekend citytrip or even daytrip. Especially within the EU flying is ridiculously cheap and that's EU policy. The Dutch have always been the most fanatic travellers, but the difference with the rest of Europe isn't that big, except for the French who all drive to the south of France at the same day over the same highway. Intercontinental flight used to be something to save for, but now is simply another option. Anecdotes of passengers complaining about the length of their trip to Isla Margarita because normally Spain would only take a few hours are already 15 years old, people simply not realizing they booked a trip to Venezuela instead of Spain.

Chinese and other Asian tourism has also exploded, There's a tiny village here called Giethoorn, it has waterways instead of roads, it's kind of cute but as a teen I doubted it was worth the one hour drive. But a women from there went to China to promote it about 10 years ago, just like Isla Margerita once got promoter here, and now it has more than half a million Chinese visitors each year. So it's not a lifelong fascination, but just as indifferent as European air travel tourism. In Austria all chocolate is halal these days because of the many Middle-Eastern tourists. Tourism to Europe is has something like doubled the past 10 years. The growth of business air travel is probably not so much a trend in itself as just following further globalization. But of course the whole indifference and taking it for granted is mutually amplifying. Anyway, if the trend continues it will make all the automotive efforts futile.