Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What Do You Remember About Woodstock?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

What Do You Remember About Woodstock?

Old 05-23-21, 01:50 AM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I can still take only small doses of Neil Young.
I'll take the doses you don't want, especially any and all those from 1974 thru 1979 ... when I believe the creator of the universe was speaking directly through him.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-23-21, 02:59 AM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
I'll take the doses you don't want, especially any and all those from 1974 thru 1979 ... when I believe the creator of the universe was speaking directly through him.
Maybe this is an example of what was meant by, "Better living through chemistry."
Likes For TCollen:
Old 05-23-21, 03:10 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 97 Posts
The Grateful Dead played at Woodstock but didn't make it into the movie because they played so badly. Supposedly the stage was wet and the grounding was poor and they were getting shocked when touching their strings.
Old 05-23-21, 03:46 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs)

I like the Grateful Dead (69, 72, 77 ​​​​​​YES!) so I hope I can get away with this old joke ->
Q: What did the Deadhead say when the drugs wore off?
A: This music sucks!
Likes For TCollen:
Old 05-23-21, 04:23 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tcollen View Post
i like the grateful dead (69, 72, 77 ​​​​​​yes!) so i hope i can get away with this old joke ->
q: What did the deadhead say when the drugs wore off?
A: This music sucks!
St. Stephen!!
St. Stephen!!

Wow, won't let me use all caps?

Last edited by cranky old road; 05-23-21 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Trying to shout...
Old 05-23-21, 07:40 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Oh yes, St Stephen, and also The Wheel, Dark Star, The Other One, Playin', etc, etc. Actually I like anything by the Grateful Dead except any version of 'Keep Your Day Job' or Pigpen's awful 'Hey Jude' on 02/11/69.
Old 05-23-21, 07:47 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 166 Posts
Brown Acid???? ****!!!!

No I was not there...

Duh... Yes I was not there..

Oh Dam It... Now I'm confused again...

Was Not There... How's that?
Old 05-23-21, 11:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,444 Posts
Fortunately I saw the Grateful Dead in summer '73 during their peak, just coming off their outstanding '72 European tour that produced that classic 3-disc album. So the snippet of Jerry Garcia firing up in a tent in the Woodstock movie will suffice.

The only downside to that June '73 concert was the Dead and Allman Brothers were sharing a bill at RFK stadium and the Allmans sounded a bit hollow and dispirited after the loss of Duane and Berry. But their jams with the Dead were good. I could almost overlook Donna Goodchaux's caterwauling. I shouldn't be so critical. She was okay sometimes and the band were having fun.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-24-21, 06:55 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 401 Posts
I never could get into Grateful Dead, so I was never a Dead-Head. I never could get into Jimmy Buffet, so I was never a Parrot-Head. I guess I was kind of a d*ck-head.
Old 05-24-21, 01:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 379 Posts
man, the dead got old to me after a couple/few years of lots of listening. as did much of the psychedelic and prog rock of the 60's and 70's. any of it's very occasional, anymore. in college, as soon as i got turned on to jazz (chick corea, the marsalis bro's, miles davis, john coltrane, vince guaraldi etc. etc) i just kinda dropped a lot of "hippy" music. still had/have favorites...zappa, bowie, marc bolan, zappa...hehe, and such, but jazz just does it more for me. i really like a lot the ethno jazz and classical...ie. afro cuban, brazilian, etc. the music just gets so diverse it's always kinda new no matter what
Likes For thook:
Old 05-24-21, 01:47 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
the increasingly insufferable David Crosby (who's burned every possible bridge with the other members because he's a raging jackass)..
I wrote this not too long ago in another forum while discussing David Crosby:

>>There was a recent documentary about Crosby that I saw on cable TV, and he comes across as a genuinely sincere and passionate person who is incredibly self-aware of his personal flaws. And of how many personal flaws he has. He seems amazingly able to maintain a sense of humor about a life lived hard, with all its (mostly self-imposed) tragedies. And the music he's making now -- or whenever this documentary was made, sometime in the last ~10 years I think -- I found surprisingly engaging...and I say "surprisingly" because none of the typical music that comes out of the CSN&Y orbit is my usual cup of tea.

Yeah, he's still a dick who writes lame-o Southern California folk-rock for yacht owners and is stoned 100% of the time ...but he's an entertaining dick. I'd hang with him for a short tour.<<
Old 05-24-21, 09:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I wrote this not too long ago in another forum while discussing David Crosby:

>>There was a recent documentary about Crosby that I saw on cable TV, and he comes across as a genuinely sincere and passionate person who is incredibly self-aware of his personal flaws. And of how many personal flaws he has. He seems amazingly able to maintain a sense of humor about a life lived hard, with all its (mostly self-imposed) tragedies. And the music he's making now -- or whenever this documentary was made, sometime in the last ~10 years I think -- I found surprisingly engaging...and I say "surprisingly" because none of the typical music that comes out of the CSN&Y orbit is my usual cup of tea.

Yeah, he's still a dick who writes lame-o Southern California folk-rock for yacht owners and is stoned 100% of the time ...but he's an entertaining dick. I'd hang with him for a short tour.<<
I've listened to and watched interviews with David Crosby over the years. He can come across as superficially charming. But that's the nature of narcissistic psychopaths.

I know a musician who's a lot like Crosby, even looks like him. Same characteristics. Genuinely decent guy in many respects, but also a raging narcissist with psychopathic tendencies. Depends on whether you catch him online or in real life, or whether he's been drinking.

Same with David Lee Roth. The tricky bit to reunions is whether the narcissists can restrain themselves long enough to finish the tour, or even one show, before reminding the other bandmates why they broke up all the other times.
Old 05-24-21, 10:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
I never could get into Grateful Dead, so I was never a Dead-Head. I never could get into Jimmy Buffet, so I was never a Parrot-Head. I guess I was kind of a d*ck-head.
Try the Dead's Europe '72 tour triple album. If that doesn't make a fan of listeners, nothing will. It was their peak in every way, from songwriting to studio recordings to live performances. And the engineer(s) spent a lot of time slicing, dicing and splicing the live recordings to get the best possible results, sometimes overdubbing parts later. But it all sounds authentically live -- but better than the Dead usually sounded live, since they tended to be very loosey goosey. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes meh, sometimes terrible.

I discovered soundboard recordings of the RFK stadium concert I attended in June '73 on the Internet Archives. It was just as good as I remembered from my teenage haze. Not quite as good as the Europe '72 album, but not bad at all.

TBH, I can hardly bear to listen to some Grateful Dead studio albums. They sound thin and sterile. But that Europe '72 triple album is permanently etched into my mind. It's still on my jogging/walking playlist. "Jack Straw" and "Morning Dew" are the highlights for me. I was such a fan of that album, in the 1980s I gave it to a college school buddy who wanted to be a rock music journalist but never really listened to the Dead. I hope it made a convert of him.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-25-21, 03:28 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 332 Posts
The movie.
Likes For Caretaker:
Old 05-25-21, 11:54 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
There was a recent documentary about Crosby that I saw on cable TV, and he comes across as a genuinely sincere and passionate person who is incredibly self-aware of his personal flaws.
I saw that. Great flick.

The vocal track on "Almost cut my hair" is without equal. The dissonant, beautiful guitar tunings that brought a completely different, ethereal element to CS&N, like in "Deja vu," that's David.
Old 05-26-21, 05:07 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 145 Posts
Nobody ever mentions Sha Na Na opening for Jimi.
The only reason I remember them is they came to Indy a couple times booked for the free concerts on the green at Butler University, which I always attended.
Old 05-26-21, 01:13 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 363 Posts
Over the decades I've cooled a bit on Hendrix, mostly because I was so saturated in his music in my teens that I don't need to hear it again.
I've cooled a bit on Hendrix too, since my teens but also my twenties. But I go through these phases once every few others that I genuinely wonder what the point of listening to other music is and why I ever tried.
Old 05-26-21, 02:23 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB View Post
Nobody ever mentions Sha Na Na opening for Jimi.
The only reason I remember them is they came to Indy a couple times booked for the free concerts on the green at Butler University, which I always attended.
Right?! At, like, 7:00 in the morning or something?! Maybe it's an urban legend, but I seem to remember something about a guy waking up, and seeing the Sha Na Na lead singer in gold lame pants, playing 50's R&R, and he could not figure out what was going on.

They may be the best part of the movie
Old 05-27-21, 08:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13764 Post(s)
Liked 6,710 Times in 3,381 Posts
Saw about a dozen Dead shows in the 80s through maybe '91. One memorable one was Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and the Dead at RFK in D.C. during the summer of '86. One afternoon I was leaving work and saw Phil outside The Philadelphia Four Seasons, which was right next to my office building.
Old 05-27-21, 11:40 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 790 Posts
Woodstock is the music they used to sell mutual funds to my mom’s cohort
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-28-21, 02:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Woodstock is the music they used to sell mutual funds to my mom’s cohort
Yeah, if rock ever had any integrity it died when Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" was used on TV ads for a car and a cruise ship line in the early 2000s. But, hey, now everybody's had it in the ear.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-31-21 at 05:53 PM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-28-21, 04:11 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 279 Posts
I wasn't quite 2 years old yet but even if I had wanted to go, which I wouldn't, I'd have probably been a volunteer in the jungle at that time anyway.
Old 05-28-21, 07:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 5,163 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I saw Buddy Guy with Junior Wells at a smallish club in Boston, 1973. Being a harp player, I was there to see Junior Wells. That night, he was on fire. I didn't notice a single note Buddy Guy played. Wells beingf so on fire meant that the band behind him had to be A1 first class. I just oblivious. The most intense set of music I've ever experienced.

The jaw dropping guitar show I got to witness was one of the last of Luther Allison's life. (He came up through the southern Chicago blues scene with Buddy Guy but spent decades in Europe where he was respected, loved and paid.)
I never understood how Buddy Guy became the bigger star, when Junior Wells was so much more talented.

Each time I've seen Buddy, his short attention span was a detriment. He would often start a song, and then just sort of trail off before finishing it.

I agree completely on Luther Allison. I got to see him a year or two before his death, and wondered "Where the hell has this guy been?" Fiery and charismatic -- the whole package. I recall that his second guitarist was Jim Solberg, who owned a little bar/venue in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, when I had lived there years earlier.

Another great one who never became that famous was Son Seals - I saw him a bunch of times, both in Colorado and at one of his regular weekly gigs in Chicago - can't remember which club.
Old 05-28-21, 07:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
I never understood how Buddy Guy became the bigger star, when Junior Wells was so much more talented.
Popularity of guitar vice harmonica/"harp" might have something to do with it. Palling around with the Rolling Stones probably didn't hurt.
Old 05-28-21, 08:57 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 166 Posts
I remember the massive crowds of 220,000 fans frolicking in the mud; me doing mushrooms for the first (and only time) causing me and my buddy to just stare and giggle for hours at the grossly oversize sandals of the guy sitting in front of us; sending one of us to the concessions for four bottles of water costing about 3 hours of pay, every hour or two - for 48 hrs straight; sleeping in tents surrounded by trash and filth and overflowing restroom; leaving a bit early during the last set to avoid the crowds and watching the crowds turn lawless and literally burning the place down while the band played on (Chili Peppers). I went to Woodstock '99, and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Riveting; 05-28-21 at 09:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.