Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Who Owns What - Behind the Brands we buy

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Who Owns What - Behind the Brands we buy

Old 07-09-21, 08:38 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I prefer healthier food and drinks than the ones on that chart..with the exception of Badoit which i’ve had with dinner most of my life.

I’d say it’s disturbing that we have so many who only listen to media, critics and a politicization that relies on disinformation that plays on fear, insecurities, anger, resentment, and/or especially hatred…..but then i prefer emotionally positive, well balanced and intelligent friends, co-workers and others that i socialize/work with….and especially the community/state i choose to live in…..all of which i happily do have and enjoy.
Are you talking about the state that was terrified to let children on playgrounds?
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-10-21, 12:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10703 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Are you talking about the state that was terrified to let children on playgrounds?
Hey, when I grew up, playgrounds were dirt and gravel, slides were hot metal, and the "toys" were made of metal bars that you could climb and fall several feet from... If you survived you could grow up and go to war... playgrounds prepared you for that.
Old 07-10-21, 02:24 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 1,862 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
If we want to get to a big investment company their money is so spread out that there's too much to boycot for any effect.

So it's not good news for consumer power.
If you looked into it you’d see there are some very good examples of….if a boycott or divesting reflects a positive movement it can definitely have an effect on the engaging in negative behavior, especially the sourcing of material, and a companies need to cultivate a consumer positive brand identity.

i prefer emotionally positive, well balanced and intelligent friends, co-workers and others that i socialize/work with….

we both know that doesn’t describe you ....and since you have the same attitude as the others on my 'ignore' i do hope you now enjoy being with them!!
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 07-10-21, 02:36 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked 2,301 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Hey, when I grew up, playgrounds were dirt and gravel, slides were hot metal, and the "toys" were made of metal bars that you could climb and fall several feet from... If you survived you could grow up and go to war... playgrounds prepared you for that.
Yup it was a badge of honor to get all bloody on the playground Whoever got the most monkey blood applied was the man or in some cases the woman was the hero. That monkey blood would burn lol. Injuries were common and expected it was a cruel jungle out there but damn it was fun. Getting your butt kicked by a girl was common because at that stage the girls could compete with the boys in playground combat games.

The other day this lady asked me if I remembered her? . I said like how could I forget you use to beat the hell out the boys. She started she now has 4 grown sons now and she being the only girl in her family she had to deal with her older brothers. I mean she beat the daylights out of us.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 07-10-21 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Playground Trauma lol
Old 07-10-21, 03:26 PM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Hey, when I grew up
We saw an even bigger need for child community parks with their outdoor exercise in dense urban areas during covid last year. Thankfully we have many well designed ones and with proper precautionary measures they were a blessing for many children and parents!!
Old 07-10-21, 03:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 790 Posts
There are a lot of small deluxe carbon mountain bike brands right now and I’m genuinely curious which VC owns what. I’m guessing there’s a lot fewer owners than brands, especially since they mostly seem to have stopped suing each other over subtle differences in their rear suspension linkages, and their websites are all the same. But it’s hard to tell. Their websites all just say “we are a bunch of mountain bikers here in CO/Santa Cruz /the Alps who make mountain bikes for mountain bikers.” Maybe to the people who have subscriptions to the bike business magazine it’s old news. We get a little of the business news here but most of it is “enthusiast press” advertising.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-10-21, 04:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Yeti sued Arctic for cloning their ice chests. A buddy of mine bought an Arctic for half the price of a Yeti and we compared the two and they were exactly the same so I got hosed again! They settled by Arctic making the handles slightly different lol. Still the same cooler. Ordering a Coke at KFC, Taco Bell or Pizza Hut and they always replied No Coke, Pepsi? I don’t FRIKIN care it tastes the same! I guess Pepsi own those franchises back then. I know healthy food choices
Old 07-10-21, 05:34 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10703 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,872 Posts
We saw an even bigger need for child community parks with their outdoor exercise in dense urban areas during covid last year. Thankfully we have many well designed ones and with proper precautionary measures they were a blessing for many children and parents!!
I still see a need for parks and green space in dense urban areas. To my mind, there should be a park or green area within short walking distance of every urban home. Besides the mental relief such parks provide, there is also the reduction of the urban heat island by such green spaces.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-10-21, 05:50 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 288 Posts
If you really want to see brand consolidation then investigate who-owns-what in the worldwide automotive industry. China bought Volvo a few years ago, Fiat-Chrysler is partnered with Peugot (and maybe Renault?) and also owns Lambourgini and Maserati, G.M. sold off Opel and Vauxhaull (do they still own Australia's Holden?), V.W. owns Porsche, Skoda, and who knows what else (they've always had Audi, their luxury brand), Tata Motors (India) owns Rover/Landrover and Jaguar, BMW owns Rolls Royce (and Bentley?), and Cooper (the 'Mini'), and who knows what else is merging/divesting somewhere in the auto world. Crazy!
Likes For skidder:
Old 07-10-21, 07:51 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

If you looked into it you’d see there are some very good examples of….if a boycott or divesting reflects a positive movement it can definitely have an effect on the engaging in negative behavior, especially the sourcing of material, and a companies need to cultivate a consumer positive brand identity.

we both know that doesn’t describe you ....and since you have the same attitude as the others on my 'ignore' i do hope you now enjoy being with them!!
Ha! That’s the open mindedness I’ve come to know and love.

I’ll resume tearing caution tape from playgrounds so kids can play.
Old 07-10-21, 08:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

I don’t ignore anybody I love to hear what everybody has to say. Even if I don’t agree I don’t care. Believe me attend a Texas redneck beer party and listen to the spew and you will develop a thick hide. In Hondo it will be,Redneck/Hispanic party and or Country Music / Hard Rock Heavy Metal. We are all Catholics and drunk seriously all races live here and we all get along and I’m proud of that. S Texas is a good example on how to coexist and behave and learn from each other. I have enough soap to build a mountain lol.
Old 07-10-21, 09:34 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Raleigh Elkhorn, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 62 Posts
for example BlackRock
Read an interesting article recently, which was referenced by another;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ersity-in-2021

Advertising sells more than product sometimes. People never give a thought to why the colour cerulean blue is "in" all of a sudden let alone who decided upon it's popularity in advance.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 07-10-21 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-11-21, 01:53 AM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I don’t ignore anybody I love to hear what everybody has to say.
When i see someone on the net who has a hard time contributing in a positive way, are closed to complexities and possibilities that take even a little brain work and especially can’t seem to think outside of a binary mode.... i’ll ignore them after seeing that in too many of their posts. This site has an ignore function for a good reason….
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 07-11-21, 09:19 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Yeti sued Arctic for cloning their ice chests. A buddy of mine bought an Arctic for half the price of a Yeti and we compared the two and they were exactly the same so I got hosed again! They settled by Arctic making the handles slightly different lol. Still the same cooler. Ordering a Coke at KFC, Taco Bell or Pizza Hut and they always replied No Coke, Pepsi? I don’t FRIKIN care it tastes the same! I guess Pepsi own those franchises back then. I know healthy food choices
I think a lot of everyday products have had any relevant patents long expired. So the changes made wouldn’t be highly related to function.

Last edited by SkinGriz; 07-11-21 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-11-21, 09:33 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Probably more concerning is that behind these corporations there's much bigger concentration of money that is spread out over all these corporations and brands. I suspect when they want power that money operates as one or as a few, but when we want to get to them it's too diffuse. If we the citizens/consumers decide that for example BlackRock or Quaker is doing something very bad and should be punished, how do we figure out what to boycot? If we boycot Quaker the shareholders will get their money from another cereal brand, or even through another holding company. If we want to get to a big investment company their money is so spread out that there's too much to boycot for any effect.

So it's not good news for consumer power.
I wouldn’t be surprised if mortgage moratorium end date somehow coincides with Blackrock getting balance sheet together to buy more houses.

Reminds me of Apollo Education losing ability to get student aid. Stock tanks. Marty Nesbitt buys. Apollo Education allowed to get student aid. Instant multi billion windfall with no value add to society or students.

History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
Old 07-11-21, 09:37 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9227 Post(s)
Liked 2,815 Times in 1,624 Posts
Be nice and no politics

Please and thank you.

Old 07-11-21, 11:10 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Read an interesting article recently, which was referenced by another;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ersity-in-2021

Advertising sells more than product sometimes. People never give a thought to why the colour cerulean blue is "in" all of a sudden let alone who decided upon it's popularity in advance.
I'd like to react to that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if mortgage moratorium end date somehow coincides with Blackrock getting balance sheet together to buy more houses.

Reminds me of Apollo Education losing ability to get student aid. Stock tanks. Marty Nesbitt buys. Apollo Education allowed to get student aid. Instant multi billion windfall with no value add to society or students.

History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
Something to say about that too. But LAJ makes a fair point.

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Be nice and no politics

Please and thank you.
Anyone else interested in a spin off topic in P&R?
Old 07-11-21, 11:35 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 286 Posts
Yup it was a badge of honor to get all bloody on the playground Whoever got the most monkey blood applied was the man or in some cases the woman was the hero. That monkey blood would burn lol. Injuries were common and expected it was a cruel jungle out there but damn it was fun. Getting your butt kicked by a girl was common because at that stage the girls could compete with the boys in playground combat games.

The other day this lady asked me if I remembered her? . I said like how could I forget you use to beat the hell out the boys. She started she now has 4 grown sons now and she being the only girl in her family she had to deal with her older brothers. I mean she beat the daylights out of us.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/9ap3...of-tura-satana
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 07-11-21, 12:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
That is what she did to us! That might even be her! It sure looks like her. Today she is a nice lady but there is no doubt she can still whoop my butt lol. I carried her groceries to her SUV just in case she decided I needed a playground style butt whoopin. I wasn’t going to chance it.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-11-21, 06:38 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Thank you for posting.
Seems like a good article. Read later.
Old 07-11-21, 08:44 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Read it. Good article.
Old 07-12-21, 04:59 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,875 Posts
Agree, not news, and I am pleased to see that we virtually never buy the garbage those brands sell. I did own some Mondelez until a few years ago until we dumped it for sustainability, governance, and ethics reasons.
Old 07-12-21, 10:19 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,408 Times in 1,040 Posts
No way man, Pepsi is gross and way too sweet, Coke is much better. I heard there's a litmus test, a little paper strip with some chemical on it, if you can taste it or not you prefer Coke vs Pepsi or the other way around.

I thought it was interesting to see how much 'food' Pepsico owns, but Coke only drinks. Also the chart leaves out restaurant chains, doesn't Pepsico own KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut?
Old 07-12-21, 10:46 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Old 07-12-21, 10:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked 1,397 Times in 820 Posts
I think Pepsi sold their portion of Yum! brands a while back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.