Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2021 Randonnees

Old 06-30-21, 01:53 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan and I aren't doing the longer randonnees this year for obvious reasons but for the first time since Rowan's accident in 2018, we are attempting a 50 km each month or in the Audax Australia world a Petit Year Round Randonneur.

We are 6 months into it which is actually better than I originally thought we might achieve!

And in May, there were a few days when I thought the attempt was over ... Rowan had a heart attack right at the end of our May 50K. However, he had recovered enough to ride the June 50 so we're celebrating 6 months!

We'll see how the next 6 months go. Each one is an accomplishment for us.
An MI? Did they put a stent(s) in? Bypass? Hope he is getting back better.

I'll tell you, it messes with my head. I don't have a plumbing issue, no blockages but I have an electrical issue. My heart stops many times per night when sleeping for up to 8 seconds. They say there is nothing they can do. Some night, my heart just isn't going to start back up and suddenly dead. They all say to keep exercising. The practical problem is getting woken so often and the sympathetic nervous system getting wacked means I am often ready to sleep anywhere. I don't know anything about Rowan's situation but I can just say, I hope he recovers and is ok
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-30-21, 10:05 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
An MI? Did they put a stent(s) in? Bypass? Hope he is getting back better.

I'll tell you, it messes with my head. I don't have a plumbing issue, no blockages but I have an electrical issue. My heart stops many times per night when sleeping for up to 8 seconds. They say there is nothing they can do. Some night, my heart just isn't going to start back up and suddenly dead. They all say to keep exercising. The practical problem is getting woken so often and the sympathetic nervous system getting wacked means I am often ready to sleep anywhere. I don't know anything about Rowan's situation but I can just say, I hope he recovers and is ok
If you can see my signature line, the first link is entitled 'Rowan' ... that's about his accident 3 years ago which resulted in a severe traumatic brain injury. So there's that.

Then in May he had an NSTEMI (https://www.healthline.com/health/nstemi) which is a mild, partial blockage heart attack. It looks like a clot lodged against the wall of an artery and he was fine while doing "normal" stuff, but when exercising, there wasn't enough blood flow to handle it.

He's on meds for now but may need a stent at some point. The cardiologist said to get on the bicycle again and keep riding. Exercise is good. And he seems to have a bit more energy since he's been on the meds.
Old 07-01-21, 04:22 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Machka
If you can see my signature line, the first link is entitled 'Rowan' ... that's about his accident 3 years ago which resulted in a severe traumatic brain injury. So there's that.

Then in May he had an NSTEMI (https://www.healthline.com/health/nstemi) which is a mild, partial blockage heart attack. It looks like a clot lodged against the wall of an artery and he was fine while doing "normal" stuff, but when exercising, there wasn't enough blood flow to handle it.

He's on meds for now but may need a stent at some point. The cardiologist said to get on the bicycle again and keep riding. Exercise is good. And he seems to have a bit more energy since he's been on the meds.
My closest family member had a TBI, the years of doctors and therapy and anguish were brutally exhausting. It was impossible for me to work.

I cannot imagine what you went thru. Sorry to read and hear that.
Old 07-06-21, 08:22 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Congratuations to you and Rowan! That's awesome.
Old 07-06-21, 07:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I'm sitting at R 11, which is a most stressful place in the R12 pursuit. Next weekend I'll either ride a permanent or drive up to Seattle for a brevet, and get it over with.
Old 07-07-21, 06:14 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm sitting at R 11, which is a most stressful place in the R12 pursuit. Next weekend I'll either ride a permanent or drive up to Seattle for a brevet, and get it over with.
I find it very interesting the use of words.....stressful and get it over with.

One year I was close enough to K-hund that it would have been easy and since I was going to do the miles anyway, I gave it serious contemplation but in the end doing all those permanents and all the paperwork just seemed too unenjoyable. Too many controls nowadays. For me, it just ruins a ride to be frank. Too many controls 10-20 miles apart. I do one flat 200k with 5 controls in the first 70 miles. Has anyone ever heard of or saw some cheating?

I am wondering why the stressfulness? Is it the paperwork that gets you, like me?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-07-21, 09:24 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts

One year I was close enough to K-hund that it would have been easy and since I was going to do the miles anyway, I gave it serious contemplation but in the end doing all those permanents and all the paperwork just seemed too unenjoyable. Too many controls nowadays. For me, it just ruins a ride to be frank. Too many controls 10-20 miles apart. I do one flat 200k with 5 controls in the first 70 miles. Has anyone ever heard of or saw some cheating?

I am wondering why the stressfulness? Is it the paperwork that gets you, like me?
For me the stressfulness associated with attaining an R-12 was due to the fact that I live in northern Illinois. Winter weather can be fickle. The year that I did mine, I rode a 200K brevet (R-11) December 2018 that started in 19 degree weather. It never got over freezing that day. That was also the month when RUSA had suspended the permanents program due to the insurance issue. R-12 was a 200K perm in January 2019 (RUSA had secured a different insurance provider). That was the only day in January that was suitable for riding as it ended up being 55 degrees in the afternoon. Then we spent the rest of the month in the deep freeze.
Likes For GadgetGirlIL:
Old 07-07-21, 10:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Yeah, I won't do another R12 because either the driving or the riding turns out to be too dangerous. I was on R35 or something like that when I fell on ice because it had rained on a day that was supposed to be clear and never get down to freezing temperatures.

There essentially are no controls on perms nowadays if you use electronic proof of passage.
Old 07-07-21, 09:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Not the paperwork; these days it's all electronic anyway.

The stress is about not wanting to screw up and somehow miss a month. Either injury, illness, or skipping a bad weather weekend only to leave a worse weather weekend. Monday I did a MTB ride and tonight I raced a criterium, and the main thought on my mind both days was, don't crash and break a bone, because that would end my R-12 at 11.

I ended my string at R-60 a couple years ago, just because I needed a break. I have a little regret about not continuing, but it was a nice relief. Now I'm all in again.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-08-21, 05:26 AM
GhostRider62

Not the paperwork; these days it's all electronic anyway.

The stress is about not wanting to screw up and somehow miss a month. Either injury, illness, or skipping a bad weather weekend only to leave a worse weather weekend. Monday I did a MTB ride and tonight I raced a criterium, and the main thought on my mind both days was, don't crash and break a bone, because that would end my R-12 at 11.

I ended my string at R-60 a couple years ago, just because I needed a break. I have a little regret about not continuing, but it was a nice relief. Now I'm all in again.
I have only done one brevet since covid and have another coming up, those two are sort of a hybrid combination of paper recipts, photo, or GPS tracker like SPOT if I understand correctly

I did an accidental R12. R11 and R12 were in December and January. It snowed a bit on R11 but I cheated on R12 in January, I did it in Florida as is my custom of going to Florida for a 200 and 300K weekend. But I think I get it now. We are lucky here, there are so many brevets within a few hours drive. GL....I am sure you will get it done.
Old 07-11-21, 01:44 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Got my first official 200k of the season done, it's one of my favourite routes... about 1800m of elevation. Weather was almost perfect, not too hot or humid, sun was out for a change too. We've had so much rain this year... a complete opposite of last year. Should be able to get a full SR in this year too.
Likes For clasher:
Old 07-17-21, 11:45 PM
downtube42

R12 completed!

Actually last weekend, with a 200k perm. Ridgefield-Etna-Silverstar starts/ends in Portland but most of the miles are across the river in Washington state. The ride crosses the I-5 bridge, goes through Vancouver, makes a big clockwise loop, then returns over the 205 bridge. There's an out-and-back bit to accumulate miles, but the focus of this ride is the gravel ascent/descent. Twelve miles of gravel from mile 79 to 91, climbing up from 1130 ft to 2380 ft over the first 5 miles, then descending to 800 ft at the end of the gravel. "Gravel" is a generous term; it was pretty chunky stuff. My 32mm tires survived, but I was dodging the bigger and sharper stuff.

The route
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34579368
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-18-21, 06:21 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
I have only done one brevet since covid and have another coming up, those two are sort of a hybrid combination of paper recipts, photo, or GPS tracker like SPOT if I understand correctly

I did an accidental R12. R11 and R12 were in December and January. It snowed a bit on R11 but I cheated on R12 in January, I did it in Florida as is my custom of going to Florida for a 200 and 300K weekend. But I think I get it now. We are lucky here, there are so many brevets within a few hours drive. GL....I am sure you will get it done.
What's this r-11 / r12 stuff?
Old 07-18-21, 06:47 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
What's this r-11 / r12 stuff?
R12 means you do a 200K brevet every month for 12 straight month. You pay some money to RUSA and they send your participation patch award. It is an incentive program
Old 07-18-21, 09:26 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

R12 means you do a 200K brevet every month for 12 straight month. You pay some money to RUSA and they send your participation patch award. It is an incentive program
Cool! I'm guessing a 300 or 600 would count in lieu as well ?

That's an impressive accomplishment, especially in the cold states...
Old 07-18-21, 10:13 PM
downtube42

Anything 200K or longer counts, either a scheduled brevet or a permanent route. There's a P-12 for 12 consecutive months of populaires; 100k or longer. One big positive of the R-12 is that I come into spring in 200k condition.

I had a streak of 5 consecutive R-12's going through January 2019, at which point I ended it intentionally. In Indiana, the winter months were a challenge. Of those 60 rides, one time I drove south to Tennessee due to weather. We had inches of snow on the ground, and I decided even with studded snow tires I would not be able to complete my route in the allotted time. Tennessee was no piece of cake, as the temp was in the 20's at the start. IIRC, that was a 200k on the Natchez Trace parkway.

Dan Driscol (Texas) has a streak of 17 continuous R-12s going back to 2005. That's no small feat; central Texas has extreme heat, humidity, extreme storms, and it's own cold weather.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-19-21, 03:04 PM
GhostRider62

I only did it once. I am a haphazard randonneur. My R11 month, it snowed a bit on the ride. One jolly fellow had sandals on and I was like, "Bill, at least wear socks"

I think a higher Km brevet can always be used.
Old 07-20-21, 09:14 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Another odd thing is that, no matter how tough a ride, I'd always have the energy to hammer that last 5-10km to the finish.

I dunno, I guess it's weird sometimes. But we all have our own personal struggles, our own quirks and limits, but what's important is that we know our body best to decide when we can push on and when we should stop.
Another randonneur relayed to me that work horses will pick up speed when they're getting close to home. Farmers figured they could "smell the barn." Seems to hold true for me, when you near your destination you can somehow find a little more energy to make sure you get there.

Thanks for kicking off this thread, Adrian. Lots of great stories, looking forward to doing some brevets again!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-25-21, 12:50 PM
clasher

Got my 300k for 2021 done. I designed the course so luckily only a 6km ride to the start... we had a good turnout, around 12 folks for a miserable forecast. The route itself is very scenic and a bit hilly, I finished with ~2200m but some people recorded 2500. The first half of the ride was nice weather, mostly cool but it was very humid. The clouds rolled in after a few hours but we did get a lovely sunrise. The rain started spitting just around the halfway and was light for an hour or so but ramped up and got so heavy I had to take off my glasses to see. I love the look of the countryside after it rains, everything seems so green and mists rising out of the forests is pretty nice. Lots of nice views from the tops of the hills and ridges. I mostly rode with a group of six but we kinda split up once the rain started as 3 of us wanted to do quick controls and get home in case the weather got even worse... others found a pub and had a burger and a pint. I think they lucked out 'cos the winds died down after 2100 and the worst winds were for the last 75k. The 3 of us finished around 20:00 for a 15h ride. Lucky for me the ride home from the brevet start is a very gently downhill on bike paths.

Likes For clasher:
Old 07-25-21, 01:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I think a higher Km brevet can always be used.
Longer can be used as well as a fleche.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-27-21, 12:54 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I...spent over 600 miles on the road in a car scouting roads for a new 600k last weekend? (yes, miles, because a: scouting multiple options and b: had to come home as I couldn't get it all done in one day) That was not quite as exhausting as riding a 600k, but I am never leaving things late enough that I have to do that much scouting at once.

(I'd hoped to scout it on pedals as a three or four-day tour, and should probably have done that instead of attempting the Waterfalls 1200k, but hindsight is 20/20.)
Likes For antimonysarah:
Old 08-12-21, 12:24 PM
clasher

Finished my 400K for the season, just have a 600 left. This was a route I developed... tried to pre-ride it last year but snapped a saddle rail a 100km into it and decided to head home. I didn't drive it ahead of time so there were a few gravel sections that used to be paved but have been downgraded... but it was just added spice. ~3000m of climbing. Ran into one closed bridge but thankfully it hadn't been demolished yet so it was passable. Scenery on the route is pretty great and hits some areas of the province we don't have any routes through so that's always nice.

It was hot, humid, and windy. Saw a high of 33C on my wahoo with all-day 30km/h winds which were nice when we did the first ~200k before making the way back south to the start... I didn't sleep enough, and haven't been riding enough so it was difficult to finish the last 100km. I took two naps, one was a mid-day seista on someone's shaded driveway as I felt like I'd overheat after the biggest climb on the route. I took another nap after I started having some hallucinations, the wind was blowing the trees around and I started seeing aliens and other weird stuff in the ditches, and I might have even nodded off on the bike. I stopped on a dam and lied down on the concrete observation deck, didn't even take my helmet off and got 20-30 minutes of shuteye... first time I've ever been able to sleep on the ground like that.
Likes For clasher:
Old 08-16-21, 10:09 PM
downtube42

I'm riding my first SR600 this coming weekend - Oregon Six Passes SR600. To compound things, I'm the new route owner. The previous owner isn't involved anymore, and it start/finishes about a mile from my house. Right off the bat I find out a 30 mile stretch is National Forest roads closed since the 2020 White River fire. I spent the entire weekend working on a detour that meets the criteria for distance and elevation. That included six hours driving out to that segment and scouting roads. I've ridden probably half the route in the past, and now I've driven another quarter. This is going to be a beast; I'm pretty intimidated.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37161143

The eastern half is desolate, dry, and will likely be either blazing hot or cold and windy. Maybe both. Limited cell phone service on much of the ride, and some long stretches with no services. Where there are services, it's often one place.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-17-21, 01:18 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

I'm riding my first SR600 this coming weekend - Oregon Six Passes SR600. To compound things, I'm the new route owner. The previous owner isn't involved anymore, and it start/finishes about a mile from my house. Right off the bat I find out a 30 mile stretch is National Forest roads closed since the 2020 White River fire. I spent the entire weekend working on a detour that meets the criteria for distance and elevation. That included six hours driving out to that segment and scouting roads. I've ridden probably half the route in the past, and now I've driven another quarter. This is going to be a beast; I'm pretty intimidated.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37161143

The eastern half is desolate, dry, and will likely be either blazing hot or cold and windy. Maybe both. Limited cell phone service on much of the ride, and some long stretches with no services. Where there are services, it's often one place.
God damn that's some hills!
Old 08-17-21, 01:43 PM
downtube42

God damn that's some hills!
Yeah. That first climb up Larch Mountain - 36km/1100 meters - that's normally a hard day out-and-back ride, where I get home, have a shower, have a beer, and chill out the rest of the day. But on this thing that's just the opening climb on day 1.

It'll be grand.
Likes For downtube42:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.