Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"HOLE!" Don't be that guy

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

"HOLE!" Don't be that guy

Old 07-19-21, 02:15 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Best option:
puller pays the F attention and takes good lines while each rider behind follows good line the leader takes.

2nd best:
hand on same side as obstacle while you miss it. If you use right hand folks know to go left around something. Audible and visual signal if someone disobeyed the best option.

Honestly, lots of more Fred-like groups can’t hold a wheel for crap and wander the road like a chicken in a yard. I have fewest issues in team rotation workouts. Everyone at a good skill and taking good lines.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-19-21, 02:18 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
What’s the deal with bunny hops? It’s just a z-axis swerve. Sometimes necessary, it shouldn’t cause any issues for riders around you.
The bunnyhop itself isn't disruptive, it's that it gives the rider behind zero warning - just POOF: You're in a hole. But if I find that I've had zero warning, yeah - I'm going to 'hop it.
Old 07-19-21, 02:40 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I love my club but it's too big for its britches and it may be time to take my rides private.
No concerns that your privates will be too big for your britches?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-19-21, 02:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No concerns that your privates will be too big for your britches?
I am quite self aware and this is NOT a concern. Trust me on this one.
Old 07-19-21, 03:33 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If nobody does things like you think they should be done, ride alone or stay at the front. The latter of course will leave open to some who doesn't brake the way you think they should.
Old 07-19-21, 03:49 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be merged with the "We're going to yell at you" thread? It's basically a subsidiary of the former.
Likes For goose70:
Old 07-19-21, 04:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
While we're *****ing,

also don't be that guy who leads the line through the debris and divots at the pavement edge, even when the road has no traffic.
Old 07-19-21, 04:53 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
How so ? It's the appropriate thing to do sometimes.
Originally Posted by Zaskar
......., I hear "Get ready to bunnyhop" (which I avoid at all costs, that royally screws the riders behind me).

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 07-19-21, 08:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
During group rides the only voice commands used were: Car Back, Tracks, and in case of an emergency stop, Stopping. All other signals were by hand, and each rider would signal the person behind, so there were no missed signals. We also had a signals for tracks and stopping. There was no discussion on what to use or why, everyone just used them as common courtesy.

If a person insists of calling out Hole, they need to call out whether its right of left or get schooled on proper etiquette

Old 07-19-21, 09:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
TBH I think people point and call random stuff for no reason, like just take a good line and the person on your wheel will be fine.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-20-21, 07:44 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Calling out holes in a group is a good thing. But doing so without pointing is close to useless. A hand signal - even silent (but combo is ideal) - works so much better. The point, the gravel sign, move left, etc. just so much more helpful. When I hear "HOLE!" without any L/R indication, I hear "Get ready to bunnyhop" (which I avoid at all costs, that royally screws the riders behind me).
we normally ride in a double pace line, so simply calling “hole left” or “hole right” is of limited use. What’s “left” to the right-hand line is “right” to the left hand line. I’ve started calling “left”, “right” or “center” to indicate the location of the hazard wrt the group as a whole.
Old 07-20-21, 07:59 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by Litespud
we normally ride in a double pace line, so simply calling “hole left” or “hole right” is of limited use. What’s “left” to the right-hand line is “right” to the left hand line. I’ve started calling “left”, “right” or “center” to indicate the location of the hazard wrt the group as a whole.
That's why pointing works.

Side note: I pointed and called "Hole!" (it was a crater) on a ride a couple years ago. We were in a village kinda setting, not going fast and happened to be passing a woman on the sidewalk. She turned and looked at us with an "Oh no you ditint jus call me that!" look on her face. I did a U-turn, rode back and told her I said "hole". I got the "a-ight a-ight" but no smile.
Old 07-20-21, 08:44 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The roads here in Illinois are terrible and I ride with lots of groups so I have several opinions here:
1. You don't need to call out every hole, but you should call out the particularly large ones right in the way and point. If you're leading you should also lead the group around the hole.
2. It's often a bad idea to ride directly behind the rider in front of you to the extent that you are 100% blind to oncoming hazards. I generally (there are exceptions) ride a couple of inches to the left of their wheel. Exceptions: we're really drilling it or I'm very familiar with the road. In those cases I'll fully tuck in.
3. Calling out any hazard should be the rare exception, not the rule. I use hand signals the vast, vast majority of the time. Having someone in the group constantly yelling about minor hazards gets really annoying and detracts from calling out the real hazards.
4. I almost never call out "car back" unless the road is particularly narrow, a rider is coming off the front of a long group and can't see all the way back or we're coming up to a particularly sketchy turn and I'm on the back of the group. The people I ride with are alert and experienced, they know when a car is coming.

Last edited by Hiro11; 07-20-21 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-20-21, 10:36 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
???

"hole left" is of limited use but "left" isn't?
Old 07-20-21, 07:41 PM
Litespud

Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

"hole left" is of limited use but "left" isn't?
🙄 for the purposes of typing on my phone, I used “left” instead of typing out “hole left”, “hole right”, “hole center”. Sorry I wasn’t sufficiently literal for you
Old 07-20-21, 07:44 PM
Litespud

That's why pointing works.

The rider 6 places back isn’t going to see my hand signal - he will, however, hear my voice 👍
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-20-21, 07:56 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
🙄 for the purposes of typing on my phone, I used “left” instead of typing out “hole left”, “hole right”, “hole center”. Sorry I wasn’t sufficiently literal for you
That's not the problem (I got that you just dropped the "hole").

​You wrote "saying hole left is of limited use" and then recommended saying "hole left".

we normally ride in a double pace line, so simply calling “hole left” or “hole right” is of limited use. What’s “left” to the Right-hand line is “right” to the left hand line.
Don't say "hole left".

I’ve started calling “<hole> left”, “<hole> right” or “<hole> center” to indicate the location of the hazard wrt the group as a whole.
Do say "hole left".

​​​​​​???

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-20-21 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-20-21, 10:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The only reason I call "car back" or "car passing" is because on most group rides there's always that one guy drifting into the adjacent lane, or on the line between lanes, and not moving over for passing vehicles. That just annoys drivers who don't need another reason to dislike cyclists.

But it rarely does any good. That same guy will persist in drifting into the other lane or riding on the line between lanes. Or blocking the other lane at stops.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-21-21, 06:18 AM
Zaskar

The rider 6 places back isn’t going to see my hand signal - he will, however, hear my voice 👍
Did you catch my comment in the original post - "...combo is ideal"? Also, I'd expect (hope) a couple of the other guys behind you would also point it out.
Old 07-21-21, 07:05 AM
Litespud

Did you catch my comment in the original post - "...combo is ideal"? Also, I'd expect (hope) a couple of the other guys behind you would also point it out.
so would I - but actually calling out the obstacle takes “hope” and “expectation” out of the equation 👍
Old 07-21-21, 08:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
People have opinions about whether it's OK to yell "glass", even though they can't/don't specify where the glass is?
Old 07-22-21, 05:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Classic and thoroughly enjoyable BF weeniefest
Old 07-22-21, 05:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How about the blood curdling "car back" for EVERY car that comes by? There are times when it's appropriate, of course.
Man! There’s a woman in our club that does that. You can be riding on a fairly busy road and she’s saying “car back” constantly.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-22-21, 06:07 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
People have opinions about whether it's OK to yell "glass", even though they can't/don't specify where the glass is?
BAck in my yute that was the only thing that was called out on a group ride. And no hand signals were ever used. You followed the wheel ahead of you and that was it. When "glass" was shouted out the group slowed and fanned out, gloves to tires, then regrouped. Thats when everyone was riding sew-ups.