Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How come the site is allowed to charge me the same amount in euros as it would in eur

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How come the site is allowed to charge me the same amount in euros as it would in eur

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 02:56 PM
Roryf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So basically, I was looking at the Polygon siskiu d7 on polygons website and when I changed the country to my home one the number of euros stayed the same as in it was 1799 $ but 1799€ as well. I looked up the exchange rate and it should be around the 1400€ mark. I'm just making this post to find out if I would be charged almost 1800€ or 1400€
Old 07-22-21, 03:21 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Ask Polygon?
Likes For Elvo:
Old 07-22-21, 03:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
VAT being added to a European shipment?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-22-21, 06:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
clear website cache & cookies then retry with the correct location 1st.
Old 07-22-21, 07:18 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
VAT being added to a European shipment?
That could be, because VAT rates are mostly around 20% and the Euro is currently about $1.17 US.

Otto
Old 07-23-21, 09:41 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
First of all, prices are set differently for different parts of the world.
Something could be $100USD in US, $120USD in Canada, $85USD in Australia, etc. For examples, I hear you can buy certain cars cheaper in Canada so some people try to do that and then move them to the US, which Canadian dealers are discouraged from doing by auto manufacturers.
Second, there's that VAT of 15-20% in Europe.
Old 07-23-21, 01:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If you read the fine print and pay by credit card you might find that even what you thought you were going to pay might be different if the rates change in their favor before the actual credit card transaction goes through. When they check your credit card after you push pay, all they are doing is verifying that you are good for at least that much money.

Might be a while before the actual transaction hits. If the exchange rate changes, that's what you have to pay by.

Though I might be dated in me thinking by 10 or so years.
Old 07-23-21, 01:55 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Looks like this company is based in Indonesia. I guess you have to ask them why they offer the same number in Euro or USD. Every country has different tax laws, importation laws or warranty laws. Especially most countries in Europe have much stricter and more customer friendly warranty and liability rules than the US but which result in higher costs to the manufacturers and dealers. In the US dealers are not required pay for shipping if you want to return an item you don't like. Some dealess even charge you a restocking fee on top of shipping costs. In most European countries dealer have to cover the shipping cost if you want to return an item you don''t like. And could list a lot more differences. This is why goods in the US are often a lot cheaper than goods in Europe.
As another example look at Weber grills. The same grill they charge $1350 plus tax in the US, they charge 1900 Euros incl tax in Germany. Meaning if you add in tax in the US (eg Texas) and convert the Euro price to dollars we are talking of a price of a grill sold in the US for $1,460 in the US vs sold in Germany for close to $2,300. Although the Euro price should be lower it is actually a lot higher.
Old 07-23-21, 01:59 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I just bought a couple of vintage type Marzocchi forks from Chain Reaction Cycles.

The link I used showed the country as Finland in Euros. When I selected the country it was the same amount in US dollars.

The IP address might trigger where you are and the value is given. But if you were to add it to the basket/cart I’m guessing it will make you select the correct country.

John