Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 12-15-15, 12:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Double poo. That just sucks big time. Heal up fast.
Old 12-15-15, 12:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
@globecanvas Probably eccentric contractions on the hike down hill. The other day I was doing a leg workout alternating box jumps and leg presses. I have done this before. I added an isometric hold at the end of the leg press set for 30 seconds. I felt a little strain / cramp in my quads during the hold and stopped. They felt stiff but okay. I went for another set of jumps and on the first jump my quads seized. It was amazing how much pain one can get in both inner and outer legs. I laid on the mat and stretched and rolled but when I got home, they were sill really sore. Fortunately, they were better the next day.

BTW, I noted last night how high I actually jumped and the angle of my knees on landing. I am at a different gym that does not have plyo safe boxes so I used a 12 inch metal plyo bench. I jump 12 inches of vertical and my legs are straight and feet slightly above the box. I land soft and step off. I suspect when I jump 24 inch box, my knee angle is less than 135 degrees. So I suspect that 15 to 18 inch box is about right for me.
Old 12-15-15, 12:51 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
3.5h of xc is a $h1t-ton of time. it is pretty damn hard, to ski hard for much more than 2h...and your first time out.

why do you think it does not contribute to bike fitness? if you are skiing hard, it requires a significant aerobic engine (and depending on how you hit hills & such it can take huge vo2).

were you just touring/shuffling your feet...or really skiing? if the former, it was probably 3h of low endurance. if the latter.....

did you wear a HR strap? might be good for you to do sometime, then feed it into a system that will spit out hrTSS to give you a ballpark.

fwiw, i skated on saturday for ~2h, moderate intensity...about 120TSS. classic skied on sunday ~1h45m.....much lower TSS. if you're not doing so already, you may be a little surprised at how high your HR can be during "easy" skiing due to the nature of it (muscles in all 4 limbs firing), and due to generally lower economy (esp for amateur skiers) vs efficiency on the bike which doesn't vary as much.
The ski was much closer to a 'touring/shuffling my feet' than hard skiing, and was diagonal stride, not skate-skiing. It was with the GF, and we were chatting most of the time, but didn't stop for more than ~10 minutes total of the 3.5 hours. Definitely endurance zone other than a couple short climbs. For what it is worth we only did ~10 miles, ungroomed trail, but not breaking completely fresh snow, and little elevation gain.

And yes, I guess it does contribute to on the bike fitness, but not as much as similar TSS on the bike in my opinion. My legs are sore in different locations than they are from riding. More in the hip flexors, outsides of my quads and lower back than riding. My upper back and shoulders are a bit sore as well. Its all good as it is great fun and definitely great exercise.
Old 12-15-15, 12:53 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I'm in serious pain, like hobbled. Sunday I did a rock scramble with my kids, totally not strenuous, but walking down off the crag my left quad started to hurt. Yesterday I did a lot of box jumps, and afterwards both quads were sore enough that I took an Aleve. Didn't really think about the soreness for the rest of the day.

This morning I went MTBing. Felt totally fine for the first 20 minutes, which included a short climb. We were riding pretty hard. On the descent I dropped the seatpost and was in a crouch for maybe a minute. Coming out of the crouch both quads cramped up to where I couldn't pedal. Any contraction of the muscle was intolerable. Both quads, on the meat of the muscle, both inside and outside. No pain at all when not contracted.

I limped back to the car, took a couple Aleve, drank a bunch of water. Two hours later I am still walking like a cowboy. Doesn't feel like an injury - not localized enough, no pain at all when not contracted, and pain disappeared completely Sunday and Monday evening. It feels like bad cramps, but with no real physical cause. I'm wondering if maybe it's an illness presenting itself. I guess I'll stay off the bike for a day or two. Bleh.
jinkies, heal up. I'm surprised to hear you rode today
Old 12-15-15, 01:00 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
60min session with 40min sweet spot, varying between 88-95% (carillon on trainerroad). it's sunny and in the 50's today, but I'd prefer not to get blown off my bike with the 25+mph winds
Old 12-15-15, 01:04 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in serious pain, like hobbled. Sunday I did a rock scramble with my kids, totally not strenuous, but walking down off the crag my left quad started to hurt. Yesterday I did a lot of box jumps, and afterwards both quads were sore enough that I took an Aleve. Didn't really think about the soreness for the rest of the day.

This morning I went MTBing. Felt totally fine for the first 20 minutes, which included a short climb. We were riding pretty hard. On the descent I dropped the seatpost and was in a crouch for maybe a minute. Coming out of the crouch both quads cramped up to where I couldn't pedal. Any contraction of the muscle was intolerable. Both quads, on the meat of the muscle, both inside and outside. No pain at all when not contracted.

I limped back to the car, took a couple Aleve, drank a bunch of water. Two hours later I am still walking like a cowboy. Doesn't feel like an injury - not localized enough, no pain at all when not contracted, and pain disappeared completely Sunday and Monday evening. It feels like bad cramps, but with no real physical cause. I'm wondering if maybe it's an illness presenting itself. I guess I'll stay off the bike for a day or two. Bleh.
I've had a situation like this in the past happen, twice. Seemed to be when I went on a hike and had not been hiking at all within a few months, but still lots of fitness from the bike. Out of nowhere, I had a very localized cramp develop in my quads. No amount of stretching or walking it off helped. I thought I must have had an electrolyte imbalance?
Old 12-15-15, 01:08 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
This is a 22 hour week. I think this will be the most I will ever have ridden in 7 days, and I have 2 weeks after this in the block. I'm curious to see how this goes, I'm slightly terrified.
Originally Posted by shovelhd
It's great for bragging on BF!
^^ timely posting there.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Doge takes helicopter parenting to a whole new level.
I wouldn't trust a helicopter Doge had been anywhere near. Ultralight mercury skids and whatnot.
Old 12-15-15, 01:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
yikes, heal up fast @hack and @globecanvas.
Old 12-15-15, 01:17 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
+1
Old 12-15-15, 01:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Well, poo. Surgeon wants shoulder immobilized for 4 weeks. Using the trainer is approved assuming I don't put weight on the arm. Good times ahead.
Sucks.

But at least you can comfort yourself with the fact that it's going to be a wet end of the year, so most of us are going to be on the trainer anyway.
Old 12-15-15, 02:46 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.5 hr work commute @ 165 w

1.5 hr work commute @ 185-200 w
Old 12-15-15, 02:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
83' super mellow Z1 ride on the FG into work this morning.
Old 12-15-15, 04:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
2.5ish hrs of light endurance therapy. Pretty day.
Old 12-15-15, 04:16 PM
cmh

Originally Posted by TMonk
+2
Old 12-15-15, 04:21 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Well, poo. Surgeon wants shoulder immobilized for 4 weeks. Using the trainer is approved assuming I don't put weight on the arm. Good times ahead.
Heal quick
Old 12-15-15, 08:31 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
4 hours before work this morning in 40 degree temps. Got in around 45 minutes of 60ish rpm sweet spot on the hills, but I guess sweet spot is quite low at low cadence.
Old 12-15-15, 10:01 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ugh, got hit by a car riding home tonight. lady right hooked me across a lane of traffic. i'm mostly alright, just a concussion. going to take it easy for a few days though. need to do a more thorough check but the bike seems alright too (save for a small dent in the top tube...glad i was on my fg not my race bike), i think my body took the brunt of the impact. Helmet is cracked though.
Old 12-15-15, 10:12 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
ugh, got hit by a car riding home tonight. lady right hooked me across a lane of traffic. i'm mostly alright, just a concussion. going to take it easy for a few days though. need to do a more thorough check but the bike seems alright too (save for a small dent in the top tube...glad i was on my fg not my race bike), i think my body took the brunt of the impact. Helmet is cracked though.
you don't always know how bad a concussion is for a few days. Brain rest means brain rest. Take a few days and REST. I'm dumb as hell with injuries and even I don't mess around with the brain.

Last edited by Ygduf; 12-15-15 at 10:12 PM. Reason: *and get better, glad you are not dead, etc.
Old 12-15-15, 10:20 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah i wasn't even going to go to the er until I got home, sat down, and started seeing stars/colors/etc. already told my boss i'm not making it in tomorrow.
Old 12-15-15, 10:24 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
...An anecdote about a kid going from 4 to 2 in a year using the same methods doesn't mean jack squat.
I was discussing this with my wife on a run the other day about min and max point being one data point or reflective of the group. She said they mean squat.
Or - how many Cat 2 15 year olds are there (you can look it up)? Trainer has trained two youth cyclists - only. Both became Cat 2s as 15 year olds (calendar) within a year of being Cat 4s.
Old 12-15-15, 10:33 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah i wasn't even going to go to the er until I got home, sat down, and started seeing stars/colors/etc. already told my boss i'm not making it in tomorrow.
yikes ... hope you recover quickly
Old 12-15-15, 10:48 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Somebody on here recently said that they thought skate skiing might improve bike fitness more than cycling does. I don't know about that, but I enjoy skiing a lot and I think it can be a quality workout.

I wear an HRM and estimate TSS from time in HR zones. I backcountry ski so it's hard to do intervals (if you think it's hard to keep the power on cycling downhill, try it skiing downhill) but I will do easy skis and hard skis. I consider it a similar workout to MTB.

3:30 is a long time. My longest ski last year was 2:45, which I did a couple times, once for 80 TSS and once for 180 TSS. The harder one covered twice as much ground as the easier one. I'm totally comfortable crediting 180 TSS for a ski hammerfest, pretty much all the same parts hurt afterwards that would have hurt after a similar effort on the bike. Maybe a bit more in the hips/abs.
I also do DH (back country and resort) and XC. I found PE is better than HR to estimate TSS. Riffing on a discussion I had with Teton, If you use TSS as a fatigue metric, doing a bucket load of sprints would find your HR primarily in low zones, while you can't walk the next day. Muscle soreness, overall fatigue, maybe you need to wake up the next morning and put the number in.

Fatigue is fatigue. Tired impacts the ability to do anything. Nuance, art, and some guesswork. It's one of those things that drives the science people who think you must be able to quantify everything bat**** crazy.
Old 12-15-15, 10:55 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
It'll be raining the whole time anyway. You'd probably crash and break a collarbone or something if you were able to ride. And the eastern euros would pressurize underground WW2 air raid bunkers and do 4 hours on trainers staring at concrete while having their families threatened. So HTFU. And get well.
Old 12-15-15, 11:03 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
It'll be raining the whole time anyway. You'd probably crash and break a collarbone or something if you were able to ride. And the eastern euros would pressurize underground WW2 air raid bunkers and do 4 hours on trainers staring at concrete while having their families threatened. So HTFU. And get well.
don't use logic and sense to ruin my pity party
Old 12-15-15, 11:32 PM
cmh

Sorry to read this mikey. I hope all is OK. Rest well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.