Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which barrel adjuster to adjust: shifter or derailleur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 12:40 PM
poorbikedude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The gears on my 18 speed MTB are not shifting smoothly. The high and low limits on the derailleur have been set and there is no "b" screw. I have a barrel adjuster on the shifter and a barrel adjuster on the derailleur. Which one do I use to make adjustments or do I use both? If both, how do I do this so as to avoid canceling out adjustments? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-20, 12:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Assuming you are having issues with the chain on the cassette.

Rear for permanent, front for on-the-fly is my work method, but they both do the same thing.

If the chain is having trouble getting up to a larger cog, turn the rear barrel adjuster counter-clockwise as you look at the adjuster from behind. If the chain is slow getting to a smaller cog, go clockwise. Baby steps, 1/4-1/2 turn at a time then try it.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-25-20, 12:50 PM
poorbikedude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the direction for barrel adjustments the same whether the barrel is on the shifter or the derailleur?
Old 07-25-20, 12:54 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Both do the same thing, which is effectively make the cable housing longer or shorter. Clockwise will make the housing shorter(move the derailleur toward the smaller cogs) and counterclockwise makes the housing longer(moves the derailleur toward the larger cogs).
Likes For dsaul:
Old 07-25-20, 01:01 PM
poorbikedude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I will give it a try.
Old 07-25-20, 01:09 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Both do the same thing, which is effectively make the cable housing longer or shorter. Clockwise will make the housing shorter(move the derailleur toward the smaller cogs) and counterclockwise makes the housing longer(moves the derailleur toward the larger cogs).
Thank you for not saying (incorrectly) that the adjustments "add" or "remove" tension, as is so often done. The derailleur spring provides the tension, the adjustments change the indexing by changing the effective length of the housing and thus the cable.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-25-20, 01:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike on the repair stand, off the ground , the fine tuning to get the index shifting in sync ,

It is easier to do with the rear adjuster, because I can watch what it does.. as I turn it..
Old 07-25-20, 08:11 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Old 07-25-20, 11:33 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by poorbikedude
The gears on my 18 speed MTB are not shifting smoothly. The high and low limits on the derailleur have been set and there is no "b" screw. I have a barrel adjuster on the shifter and a barrel adjuster on the derailleur. Which one do I use to make adjustments or do I use both? If both, how do I do this so as to avoid canceling out adjustments? Any help would be appreciated.
What works well for me is this:
I make sure that the front barrel adjuster (when it exists) is screwed out (from the completely screwed in position) for at least one full turn.
The basic idea is to allow for some (fine) adjustments while sitting on a bike - it's more convenient.

Apart from that, it doesn't really matter which one you use for tuning. I usually make tunning on the rear one, just making sure that the front one is done as explained above.

Another thing:
Cables tend to elongate a bit over time, and cut their way in the housing. It's minute if tuned properly at the start, but generally: in the future, you are a lot more likely to be turning the adjustment barrel(s) out, over time, than screw them in.
So I make sure that there is at least two full turns of "room" for turning them out, without risking them being completely screwed out. Hope I explained well what I mean.