Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to talk recumbents ( bents)?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 03:02 PM
Madmonk1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lost my balance is due to middle ear issues. Considering a recumbent trike. Looking for feedback.
Old 09-26-20, 03:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
There is a recumbent forum, which would probably provide better feedback - https://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-26-20, 04:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Sorry about your middle ear issue.... recumbent? I'm certain I'll be there with you one day....................... but until then

Old 09-26-20, 05:24 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Madmonk1
Lost my balance is due to middle ear issues. Considering a recumbent trike. Looking for feedback.
Go big or go home

Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-26-20, 05:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
moved here from road
Old 09-27-20, 07:31 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
moved here from road
thanks for the context! Trikes are becoming popular across the recumbent world, but they're a particularly good solution for those with balance problems. Do
you have something specific in mind? What would your goals for riding?
Old 09-27-20, 08:29 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Be ready for sticker shock. The good ones are expensive. The cheap ones are heavy and usually have a very limited gear range that you would soon outgrow as you gained your "trike legs". Recumbent trikes do not use muscles the same way as you do on a road bike so most beginning riders need an adjustment period to get even close to what they accomplished on a DF bike. A few recumbent trikes come in different frame sizes but many offer just one size and you move the boom in and out to get the trike to fit. At the same time you must adjust the chain length to get the gears to work correctly by adding or removing chain links. You might find a used trike for sale and save a bundle but if you know nothing about trikes, that can be risky. There are just 3 trikes listed on my local CL. A pair of 9 speed 43 pound trikes with an accessory trailer for $3,900 and a Sun EZ-3 SX for $650. It weighs 56 pounds and has 21 speeds and cost around $1,100 new. I wouldn't recommend either one if you are a serious rider due to the weights and gear setup. The ad for the pair of trikes says, "like new condition, barely used". I guess that is why they are asking near the new price for them but seem to forget subsequent buyers don't get a warranty.
Old 09-27-20, 05:09 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Buy Used

You can always buy a used trike. There is a recumbent specific sight called "Bent Rider On Line" which has a classified section for used trikes. Good luck.
Old 09-27-20, 07:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Trike are great fun, and actually the easiest and most relaxing way their is to cycle. Pretty much as soon as you ride one you will be hooked.
Old 09-27-20, 08:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Go big or go home

I saw one of those today. My first time on a ride. It was going the other way. I don't recall seeing the front wheel cut out and the cockpit was open like an early airplane so it may have been a two wheeled version.

My first thought - we are coming into the weather and temperatures for those. Summers? Way too warm!
Old 09-27-20, 09:52 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I saw one of those today. My first time on a ride. It was going the other way. I don't recall seeing the front wheel cut out and the cockpit was open like an early airplane so it may have been a two wheeled version.

My first thought - we are coming into the weather and temperatures for those. Summers? Way too warm!
They are allowed in randonneuring, so you see them particularly on the big grand brevets. Incredibly fast on flats and downhills. I've never seen a two wheeler on the road, only videos of them pursuing records. Most of what I've seen have open cockpits. A super fast dude I "rode with" in Scandinavia would flip his cover up on climbs for cooling, then flip it down for the descent and disappear.
Old 09-28-20, 05:25 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
A 'bent trike would definitely be a safe option for you, but they are not cheap and take up more room to store. That said, I love my current trike and plan to add another.
Old 09-28-20, 09:47 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

There are quite a few velonauts around the Portland area. (Yes, that's what we call ourselves.)

They are surprisingly not that hot. I ride mine year round, although I also have a 2 wheel recumbent that I ride more frequently in warmer weather. The shell enclosure is offset by great airflow, and the shade provided by the roof.

There are many different models of velos. If you saw one with the wheels covered, it was most likely a Quest, one of the faster velos out there.

FWIW, on the flats, I'm about 5 mph faster than on my 2 wheel bent. The only place my 2 wheeler is faster is going uphill.
Old 09-29-20, 01:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts

I'm, doing 45 mph when he passes me at 1:23 in the video. Velomobiles are fast, yeah! Edit: he caught me in the hills, so even if you call them 'slow' uphill, they can apparently more than make up for that minor liability. The hills in this area ran around 10% and 150 feet (vertical) or so.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 10-06-20 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-05-20, 07:25 AM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Be ready for sticker shock. The good ones are expensive. The cheap ones are heavy and usually have a very limited gear range that you would soon outgrow as you gained your "trike legs". Recumbent trikes do not use muscles the same way as you do on a road bike so most beginning riders need an adjustment period to get even close to what they accomplished on a DF bike. A few recumbent trikes come in different frame sizes but many offer just one size and you move the boom in and out to get the trike to fit. At the same time you must adjust the chain length to get the gears to work correctly by adding or removing chain links. You might find a used trike for sale and save a bundle but if you know nothing about trikes, that can be risky. There are just 3 trikes listed on my local CL. A pair of 9 speed 43 pound trikes with an accessory trailer for $3,900 and a Sun EZ-3 SX for $650. It weighs 56 pounds and has 21 speeds and cost around $1,100 new. I wouldn't recommend either one if you are a serious rider due to the weights and gear setup. The ad for the pair of trikes says, "like new condition, barely used". I guess that is why they are asking near the new price for them but seem to forget subsequent buyers don't get a warranty.
Performer makes a well-priced trike for the weight and will ship it to you. If you have $$ for for a Bacchetta carbon speed monster. Those are probably the two best value for the money trikes.
Old 10-11-20, 09:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Some people will try to say trikes are not safe. I find that to be not true. Almost all trike riders including me notice that cars almost always give trike riders a wide berth when passing. Many I think believe a trike is some kind of handicap device, and dont want their name on the front page of the local paper saying they hit a handicap person. Further in the vein of safety, falls are almost non existent, and not very far in the first place. Also if riding in a high cross wind a trike is far less likely to be blown over into the path of traffic, than a DF or even a recumbent bike.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-20-20, 10:12 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Madmonk1
Several friends have recumbent trikes as well as recumbent bikes. We're kind of ambi-cyclic that way.

IMO: try to find a group of local riders. (Where are you?) BentRiderOnline is a good place to start. Look different trikes over, ask questions, test ride a few. What you think you like might not be what really works for you. It's an axiom in the recumbent community that a trike will go through three owners before it finds its forever home.

I have 3 recumbent bikes (and my wife's recumbent) plus 3 upright bikes in my garage right now. I'm not anti-trike- I just haven't gotten back there yet. I built recumbent trikes in the early '80's:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 10-20-20, 10:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
You can always buy a used trike. There is a recumbent specific sight called "Bent Rider On Line" which has a classified section for used trikes. Good luck.
I bought my First Trike from that site.

Old 10-21-20, 08:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Another note on trike safety is the fact on start up from a stop, you dont weave and wobble all over the place trying to get clipped in. On a trike, at a stop, you just remain clipped in, and you ride off straight ahead. People in traffic like that.
Old 11-30-20, 01:15 PM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
I used plans from Atomic Zombie and have built 3 trikes. The first was a tadpole , the next 2 which are the ones I'm currently riding are Delta's - that's 2 wheels in back, one in front.. They are all e assist and are super comfortable to ride.
Old 12-01-20, 10:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Another thing about trikes is climbing hills. If you have a trike with a front triple and low mountain bike gears in the rear, you can tackle any hill. Gear way down and just spin. You can go as slow as necessary without wobbling around into traffic, and if you need to just stop and rest and take off again straight ahead.
Old 02-27-21, 04:01 PM
Rebarrish777

Bikes: Greenspeed g3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recumbents, new thought...

Just took my brand new catrike villager out for a spin! On my mom's country road. Not gravel but that older, gravel in asphalt type stuff? Well, the road vibration was incredibly bad! I mean, my vision was blurred? I've ridden my old Greenspeed G3 on it a couple years ago and there was some vibration but not real bad as I went back and forth many, many times? Any ideas? Tires to full? Or is that just, the villager? I had hoped to ride it on back country Georgia dirt roads?
Old 02-28-21, 09:31 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebarrish777
Just took my brand new catrike villager out for a spin! On my mom's country road. Not gravel but that older, gravel in asphalt type stuff? Well, the road vibration was incredibly bad! I mean, my vision was blurred? I've ridden my old Greenspeed G3 on it a couple years ago and there was some vibration but not real bad as I went back and forth many, many times? Any ideas? Tires to full? Or is that just, the villager? I had hoped to ride it on back country Georgia dirt roads?
Chipseal. Lots of it in Central Indiana - some not so bad. Some bad. My experience riding 'bent bikes on it is that larger tires with lower pressure make it more tolerable. 1.5" is as large as I've gone.
Old 02-28-21, 01:03 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The OEM tire on the Catrike Villager according to the current specs at Utah Trikes is the Schwalbe Marathon Racer. I couldn't find a reference for the 20" size but the 16" version used on folding bikes is 65 to 110 psi. If you are running them really hard at the upper end, that would be the reason for the harsh ride. It looks like getting a different set of tires right now might be difficult. The listing at UT shows they will send the Villager out with wider tires like the Big Apple in the 2" and 2.15" width. Both are available.in stock. They run at 30-70 and 30-55 psi respectively.

My Greenspeed GTO came with Tioga Comp Pool 1.5" tires and that was pretty comfortable but they were discontinued by Tioga. That may have been what was on the G3 if it was old enough.
Old 03-03-21, 11:20 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebarrish777
Catrikes in general have very stiff rides. They’re great when the road is smooth, but they aren’t that pleasant when the roads get rough. If this is typical of roads in your area I would suggest it may be the wrong trike for you.

You can do things to make the ride softer: big apple tires, lower pressure, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.