Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What Do You Remember About Woodstock?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 05-18-21, 01:30 PM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 401 Posts

I remember watching bits and pieces of it on television. I remember seeing artists who were there, appearing on Dick Cavett.

I was 11 years old. I remember wanting to go so badly, and my mum saying hell no. We listened to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young on the radio, as well as Santana, and The Who and the rest... except Hendrix. No one in my school was allowed to bring in his album or play the songs. I suppose it was because he was black, but it was a really REALLY white area. In fact, I never met a black person face-to-face until I joined the USAF in 1976.

It was all peace love dove, brotherhood of Man, good feelings, peace symbols, and Neru jackets. Most of which I only dreamed about. My Dad would fly into a rage at the sight of that stuff on television, calling it a load of useless *****, and slammed the door on any of my aspirations of becoming a hippie. So needless to say, I stayed at home.

My older cousins were going to go, and I wanted to go with them. They started out (in Maine) with their thumbs in the air, but I think they made it as far as my uncle's house in New Hampshire and never finished the rest of the way. Of course looking back, I was way too young to go, but I didnt know. When I asked why not, Mum usually replied, "because I said so", and this was one of those times. She never elaborated about stranger-danger and stuff like that. I'm probably lucky I never got killed - not knowing - but it made me fearless (stories for another day).

Have any of you Foosters actually been to Woodstock in August 1969?
Old 05-18-21, 01:45 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10668 Post(s)
Liked 2,713 Times in 1,864 Posts
I was just a bit too young to go... but just a few years later, I would be "draft bait" and Hendrix, Santana and others would ring loud in my ears. (I was already a Hendrix fan...)
Old 05-18-21, 01:51 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1911 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,205 Posts
My two favorite parts of the film are seeing Grace Slick on the side of the stage watching a band play. She's sooo sexy. And the second is the interview of the Port-O-San guy as he cleans the john. He's proud of his work and both his sons, one at Woodstock and one in Nam. It's on YouTube.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-18-21, 01:58 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 152 Posts
the film was so long and I was so tired after a long shift... I fell asleep during the second part but woke up to the most important part - seeing Jimi
Old 05-18-21, 01:59 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 144 Posts
I don't think I was aware of the event until after it had transpired...a lot of the cultural and fashion choices sported by the folks 8-year-old me was admiring started getting referred to as "Woodstock generation" or some such label...don't think I connected the name to the music until a good three or four years later though.
Old 05-18-21, 02:15 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2542 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,313 Posts
I once had a co-worker who grew up in NY state.
In the summer of 1969 he had just graduated high school and was working in a gas station.
He heard about a rock festival that was going to be held 2 hours away.
He couldn't get the time off from his job to go, so he missed it.

It had been 25 years, and he still regretted that he didn't just quit that job.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 05-18-21, 02:17 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 56 Posts
Hah, yeah, no memories of it at the time, at all. I would have been in my late single-digits ... I have no idea what my mom listened to in the car! I have a strong feeling we never had the radio on, come to think of it.

But she was willing to humor me with Beatles albums and semi-hippie fashions - bell bottoms, steel rivets down the seams, that kind of thing. Later, realized that we were all pretty much just rubes.
Old 05-18-21, 03:43 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 46 Posts
I lived in a neighboring state but my parents wouldn't let me go.

But, I can't really blame them. I was just a little over a year old at the time.

I have listened to music from that era all my life.
Old 05-18-21, 04:39 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
Before my time (unfortunately!), but I remember my mom telling me that she (in her early 20s at the time) wanted to go but her then-husband "wouldn't let her." Different times then...
Old 05-18-21, 06:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3020 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 599 Posts
My earliest memory is seeing the albums at the record section of K-Mart, and the cover had a naked baby or two on it and it was scandalous, and I didn't even know what Woodstock was. I noticed that it was mainly the hippy posers who were interested in it (we didn't have real hippies in Iowa).

My old boss had a draft number and he said he had resigned himself to enlist and this was a big fling he could do while he waited. There was one other woman at work who had been at Woodstock and she and my boss used to share their stories with us.
Old 05-18-21, 07:25 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 357 Posts
I was in 9th grade at the time. I was still trying to figure out what was going on around me and not too worldly. I never became conscious about Woodstock until the Album came out. At that age I still wasn't sure what it was all about but I thought it was cool. I was just a little too young to be a hippie.
Old 05-18-21, 07:32 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 194 Posts
I was too young to go, but old enough to wish I could. I was only beginning the process of actually becoming familiar with the music of most of the artists, but had enough knowledge of the societal impact to want to be a part of it.
Old 05-18-21, 07:54 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 439 Posts
Wow! You guys are young. I was a senior in high school, but could not afford to go. One of my classmates made it though, but for him it was just another music festival. I lived close to Gary Indiana and the riots and public disruption was more important in the news than a music festival. The problems with the students and the Draft were paramount on our minds. My number was 87 and it changed a lot in my life. When I was called up, all dreams and studies toward med school were closed. Nobody wanted a potential corpse for a student so things changed. But the student unrest was real and it did change the world a bit in 1973 when the war was closed down. Woodstock was just the beginning of that effort. Smiles, MH
Old 05-18-21, 07:56 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 622 Posts
that it happened before I was born and involved people who f#^*ed up the world that I have to live in
Old 05-18-21, 08:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 372 Posts
i was born three years later, but i would have if i could have been one of those nekked muddy hippies. otoh, i may have saved my pennies for isle of wight, instead!!
Old 05-18-21, 09:35 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 21809 Post(s)
Liked 4,678 Times in 3,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Wow! You guys are young. I was a senior in high school, but could not afford to go. One of my classmates made it though, but for him it was just another music festival. I lived close to Gary Indiana and the riots and public disruption was more important in the news than a music festival. The problems with the students and the Draft were paramount on our minds. My number was 87 and it changed a lot in my life. When I was called up, all dreams and studies toward med school were closed. Nobody wanted a potential corpse for a student so things changed. But the student unrest was real and it did change the world a bit in 1973 when the war was closed down. Woodstock was just the beginning of that effort. Smiles, MH
...my draft lottery number was #9, so I knew I was going if I ever dropped my student deferment. I grew up in D.C., so in 'the summer and fall of '69, was mostly hanging out with the people drifting in and out of town for the big Vietnam Moratorium demonstrations in Oct and Nov of that year. I don't recall any of that being much fun, but I got packed off to 2 years on active with the USNR in Nov of '69.

Prior to that had been the king assassination riots and burning in sections of the city in '68. The only thing I remember from that time period that seemed like it was fun was going to the big Nixon counter-inaugural ball in a giant tent down on the mall. The Fugs came down from NYC, and played all their greatest hits. Wavy Gravy and the Hog Farm collective were there. Mostly it was fun because the police were not busting anyone that night, we were all pretty stoned, and nobody got beat up or arrested.

So no, I did not get to go to Woodstock.
Old 05-18-21, 10:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,441 Posts
I was living in NY, just shy of 12 years old, had free tickets courtesy of a magazine giveaway (Screw magazine, believe it or not ), and a ride from older high school friends. But no way would my parents go for that.

On the plus side, my mom took me to see the movie as soon as it came out.

All these decades later, the movie remains as good as ever. I suspect the exhaustion of waiting for Hendrix, the only act I really wanted to see, would have dimmed the real experience.
Old 05-18-21, 10:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
My two favorite parts of the film are seeing Grace Slick on the side of the stage watching a band play. She's sooo sexy. And the second is the interview of the Port-O-San guy as he cleans the john. He's proud of his work and both his sons, one at Woodstock and one in Nam. It's on YouTube.
Unfortunately, Port-O-San man later felt he had been exploited and ridiculed by the movie. I suspect that may have come from family or co-workers who teased him into thinking he was being mocked. But I always considered him a hero and genuinely good guy with no reason to feel embarrassed. He came across very well in the movie. Perhaps the follow-the-bouncing ball captions, an amusing touch, might have given the scene the wrong impression.

And, yeah, I was only a moderate fan of Jefferson Airplane at the time, but Grace Slick was stunning in Woodstock.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-18-21, 11:21 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,472 Posts
I was one year old and I was there. I took the bus J/K ...
Old 05-19-21, 03:25 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
I once had a co-worker who grew up in NY state.
In the summer of 1969 he had just graduated high school and was working in a gas station.
He heard about a rock festival that was going to be held 2 hours away.
He couldn't get the time off from his job to go, so he missed it.

It had been 25 years, and he still regretted that he didn't just quit that job.
This is the type of story that I like to hear. To me - even though I was no where even close to the age of being able to go - its like missing a once in a century event, like sleeping through an eclipse or something. Its funny how people live with regrets about the would-a/should-a/could-a. I was in Germany for all of the 1980's. I returned home in May of 1989, and saw the Berlin Wall fall in November of that year. I do regret not being able to witness that in person.
Old 05-19-21, 03:36 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...my draft lottery number was #9, so I knew I was going if I ever dropped my student deferment. I grew up in D.C., so in 'the summer and fall of '69, was mostly hanging out with the people drifting in and out of town for the big Vietnam Moratorium demonstrations in Oct and Nov of that year. I don't recall any of that being much fun, but I got packed off to 2 years on active with the USNR in Nov of '69.

Prior to that had been the king assassination riots and burning in sections of the city in '68. The only thing I remember from that time period that seemed like it was fun was going to the big Nixon counter-inaugural ball in a giant tent down on the mall. The Fugs came down from NYC, and played all their greatest hits. Wavy Gravy and the Hog Farm collective were there. Mostly it was fun because the police were not busting anyone that night, we were all pretty stoned, and nobody got beat up or arrested.

So no, I did not get to go to Woodstock.
The Vietnam draft ended in what, 1973? I think the last draft call was 1976, but I had already enlisted in the USAF before I left high school. I had a close older cousin who was killed in 'Nam on a PT boat, and it wrecked the family for a while. The plan was always for me to do something that wouldn't kill me, so I decided to work on jets instead.
Old 05-19-21, 06:23 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 282 Posts
This is a picture of a woman looking over the field in Bethel Woods exactly 50 years after she attended that concert. We airbnb-ed a nearby house for 4.5 couples and saw Santana and Ringo's show that weekend.

Last edited by StupidlyBrave; 05-19-21 at 06:27 AM.
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 05-19-21, 07:10 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 487 Posts
I remember that he had a tough time flying, and he liked to sit on Snoopy's nose.
Old 05-19-21, 07:44 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I was living in NY, just shy of 12 years old, had free tickets courtesy of a magazine giveaway (Screw magazine, believe it or not ), and a ride from older high school friends. But no way would my parents go for that.

On the plus side, my mom took me to see the movie as soon as it came out.

All these decades later, the movie remains as good as ever. I suspect the exhaustion of waiting for Hendrix, the only act I really wanted to see, would have dimmed the real experience.
Your parents may have know better.
You may not have noticed the wait for Jimi as ...

Many artists claim that the drinks backstage at Woodstock were spiked with LSD. Roger Daltrey said he was tripping balls when the Who played their famous super-late-night set. But Carlos Santana was one of the many performers who wanted to be stoned at the show, and he made sure to arrive with some mescaline on hand ... Many free trips happened ...
Old 05-19-21, 07:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 251 Posts
I remember the older kids in the neighborhood coming home and doing drugs into their oblivion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.