Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Really fun science/engineering/brainteaser video

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 07-04-21, 02:52 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 598 Posts

Can a wind powered vehicle go faster than the wind? Of course, sailboats and iceboats have been doing that for years.

But can a wind powered vehicle go faster than the wind, downwind?

Old 07-06-21, 09:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,374 Times in 1,019 Posts
Interesting, but what I don't get is, forward motion drives the wheels drives the propeller which pushes back and thus accelerates forward motion -- how is that not a circular dependency and a perpetual motion machine? And how does the wind actually factor into it? Does the tailwind somehow push that extremely aero-looking vehicle forward to start the chain reaction?
Old 07-07-21, 05:03 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 4092 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Interesting, but what I don't get is, forward motion drives the wheels drives the propeller which pushes back and thus accelerates forward motion -- how is that not a circular dependency and a perpetual motion machine? And how does the wind actually factor into it? Does the tailwind somehow push that extremely aero-looking vehicle forward to start the chain reaction?
I watched it last week and didn't bother with the maths, but the fault in the reasoning towards perpetual motion seems to me that it used wind energy. I think the assumption that it only uses the energy of the wind corresponding to it's width is wrong. Through the efficiency and movement of it's aero blades it uses more of the surrounding wind than just the wind behind it by affecting it's flow.