Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Team Miyata

Old 07-15-21, 05:31 PM
  #1  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Team Miyata

Listed as either a 1984 or 1986 Team Miyata on NYC FB. Mismatched wheels.asking $425.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3959953929565/







Mdl is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 07:16 PM
  #2  
cb400bill
Follow Your Arrow
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 19,674

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 3,274 Times in 1,994 Posts
Its filthy. It has a real mixture of components, plus those mismatched wheels.
__________________
How did we get here?





cb400bill is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 08:53 PM
  #3  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 5,495
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 642 Posts
^^^^^ Parts-bin build. Wacky-World bonus points if the seller actually posted photos spattered with all those cell-phone icons, and half of them not rotated properly.
madpogue is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 08:58 PM
  #4  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 4,373

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 267 Posts
That one looks like a double tapered prizewinner ! (but, but ---- its Dura Ace )
DMC707 is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 09:00 PM
  #5  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^^ Parts-bin build. Wacky-World bonus points if the seller actually posted photos spattered with all those cell-phone icons, and half of them not rotated properly.
ahahahahahah
Mdl is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 09:31 PM
  #6  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
That one looks like a double tapered prizewinner ! (but, but ---- its Dura Ace )
DMC - I just want to make sure I understand - you do like it or you dont like it?
Mdl is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 11:27 PM
  #7  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 4,373

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl View Post
DMC - I just want to make sure I understand - you do like it or you dont like it?
Referencing a thread in General Discussion about whether or not you should take a #2 before a long ride Could a #2 be beneficial for a ride.. - Bike Forums

(probably someones idea of a joke thread)

But to me, the poor bike has a quality frameset --- but the mixy matchy parts kit and filthy presentation brings the appeal down a bunch --- hence my comparison to a strong piece of toilet bowl ornamentation

Really? At its most basic -- a carwash might be 3 bucks !
DMC707 is offline  
Old 07-16-21, 06:10 AM
  #8  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,790

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 1,212 Posts
This is one of the best production racing bikes ever made. Team miyatas don't pop often. The bike is dirty but the paint is in good shape. The parts are mainly good quality Shimano 600 but they are not what you'd want to see on a $425 bike. New York City prices are high though. Offer the seller a price you can live with.

I'd value this bike closer to $300 but everyone thinks they're sitting on a bike gold mine since the pandemic pushed up bike prices. Offer $300 and see what happens.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-16-21 at 07:21 AM.
bikemig is online now  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-16-21, 07:56 AM
  #9  
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 6,814

Bikes: '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 705 Posts
I'd venture to guess that the seller isn't someone that makes a good first impression. If he doesn't have the simple industry to clean and present something he's selling, then...well, he doesn't deserve premium payment. See where the initial negotiation goes.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 07-16-21, 08:35 AM
  #10  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,792
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 302 Posts
I wouldn't call it a problem, they ride great! and are not over rated one bit.
Mr. 66 is online now  
Old 07-16-21, 03:58 PM
  #11  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
Referencing a thread in General Discussion about whether or not you should take a #2 before a long ride Could a #2 be beneficial for a ride.. - Bike Forums

(probably someones idea of a joke thread)

But to me, the poor bike has a quality frameset --- but the mixy matchy parts kit and filthy presentation brings the appeal down a bunch --- hence my comparison to a strong piece of toilet bowl ornamentation

Really? At its most basic -- a carwash might be 3 bucks !
lol!
Mdl is offline  
Old 07-16-21, 04:08 PM
  #12  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
This is one of the best production racing bikes ever made. Team miyatas don't pop often. The bike is dirty but the paint is in good shape. The parts are mainly good quality Shimano 600 but they are not what you'd want to see on a $425 bike. New York City prices are high though. Offer the seller a price you can live with.

I'd value this bike closer to $300 but everyone thinks they're sitting on a bike gold mine since the pandemic pushed up bike prices. Offer $300 and see what happens.
Ive been thinking the same thing. Dirty - yes. Maybe its keeping other buyers awayso could be good.

Its true the components are a mish mosh. However, at least theyre high/higher end, right? So, do we think a) there is any reason why they wouldnt function well together? And b) is each component in good condition?

I realize the answer to question b above may need to be determined in person. But Id definitely appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
Mdl is offline  
Old 07-16-21, 04:35 PM
  #13  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,790

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 1,212 Posts
Yes the parts can work well together but no one can answer that question for certain without inspecting the bike.
bikemig is online now  
Old 07-16-21, 04:38 PM
  #14  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Yes the parts can work well together but no one can answer that question for certain without inspecting the bike.
Thanks, amigo! Thats all I needed to know. I just contacted the seller. Ill let you know what happens.
Mdl is offline  
Old 07-18-21, 08:55 AM
  #15  
no67el 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Mad River Valley, VT
Posts: 221

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 69 Posts
That's a nice, nice frame, and though the parts are a bit of a mutt's breakfast, they probably ride fine. Plus Team Miyata's don't show up that often. To me this seems like a great deal if it's your size and you intend to ride it. If you can talk the seller down to $300-$350 based on the filthy conditions and weird parts, so much the better.

If this bike was a 58, I'd be in the car driving to NYC already....

N
no67el is offline  
Old 07-19-21, 05:10 AM
  #16  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el View Post
That's a nice, nice frame, and though the parts are a bit of a mutt's breakfast, they probably ride fine. Plus Team Miyata's don't show up that often. To me this seems like a great deal if it's your size and you intend to ride it. If you can talk the seller down to $300-$350 based on the filthy conditions and weird parts, so much the better.

If this bike was a 58, I'd be in the car driving to NYC already....

N
Im working on it. Trying to arrange a meet up today. Thanks!
Mdl is offline  
Likes For Mdl:
Old 07-19-21, 05:21 PM
  #17  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Very nice seller. Bike rides like a sports car. Components all check out. The rims actually match (the dirt masked it in the pics, lol). Nothing original on the bike except the frame, seatpost (maybe?) and paint and decals (which need replacing). Im going to sleep on it regarding appearance.

Anyone have experience taking a bike to an auto body shop? Any idea what they charge to repaint a bike?
Mdl is offline  
Old 07-19-21, 08:40 PM
  #18  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 4,373

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl View Post
Very nice seller. Bike rides like a sports car. Components all check out. The rims actually match (the dirt masked it in the pics, lol). Nothing original on the bike except the frame, seatpost (maybe?) and paint and decals (which need replacing). I’m going to sleep on it regarding appearance.

Anyone have experience taking a bike to an auto body shop? Any idea what they charge to repaint a bike?

if you give the bike a deep clean, and purchase some tools to service the bottom bracket and headset at minimum, you might be surprised at how much better the bike will look

i know the populace here is fond of these bikes, but its on the cusp,of not being worth it for a re paint unless it was sentimental or something . There are lots of great bikes that fall into this category though - Centurion Ironmans, PDG Paramounts, Cannondales, - lots. Nice bikes all, but you wouldnt spend $600 for a paint job on a $400 bike in most cases

others have remarked that the blue andgold color scheme is an earmark of a Koga Miyata team bike and so might be worth preserving.


But to answer the question better, an auto shop can give heavy handed results. Thick paint that obscures lug details among other things. There are people out there who specialize in bicycle painting and restoration that can do a much better job
DMC707 is offline  
Likes For DMC707:
Old 07-20-21, 09:37 AM
  #19  
Matt060908
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Its filthy. It has a real mixture of components, plus those mismatched wheels.
agreed, that seems high on the price.
Matt060908 is offline  
Old 07-20-21, 11:19 AM
  #20  
Mdl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 262

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
if you give the bike a deep clean, and purchase some tools to service the bottom bracket and headset at minimum, you might be surprised at how much better the bike will look

i know the populace here is fond of these bikes, but its on the cusp,of not being worth it for a re paint unless it was sentimental or something . There are lots of great bikes that fall into this category though - Centurion Ironmans, PDG Paramounts, Cannondales, - lots. Nice bikes all, but you wouldnt spend $600 for a paint job on a $400 bike in most cases

others have remarked that the blue andgold color scheme is an earmark of a Koga Miyata team bike and so might be worth preserving.


But to answer the question better, an auto shop can give heavy handed results. Thick paint that obscures lug details among other things. There are people out there who specialize in bicycle painting and restoration that can do a much better job
DMC, thanks. I agree. As my uncle suggested once, regarding a prospective car purchase of mine you have to love it.

Anyway, its not a bad bike, depending on price and interest. Ill just keep it in mind for now.

Last edited by Mdl; 07-20-21 at 08:27 PM.
Mdl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.