Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Old 08-06-22, 08:11 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt

be brutally honest...I have some violet KORE skewers that I have had since the late 80's or early 90's. does this look stupid? I have no sense of style so be honest. thanks.
i personally feel like it looks good. I think purple and orange work well.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Likes For mkeller234:
Old 08-06-22, 08:43 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 840 Posts
Or these?

Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-06-22, 08:53 PM
jadmt

So far not real impressed with the wheel build quality. The back wheel already has several loose spokes and needs to be trued.. I have probably 140-160 miles with maybe 5 miles of smooth gravel road the rest smooth bike paths.
Old 08-08-22, 07:48 PM
jadmt

Rene Herse RTP showed up today. They fit fine are an inch taller so raise it up 1/2".

Old 08-09-22, 07:10 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Rene Herse RTP showed up today. They fit fine are an inch taller so raise it up 1/2".

good looking tires. Is the back not fully seated? I find with the lower pressure tires sometimes I have to ride a bit to get the all the way seated.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-09-22, 07:35 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
good looking tires. Is the back not fully seated? I find with the lower pressure tires sometimes I have to ride a bit to get the all the way seated.
I can see the molded line all the way around but definitely not as much of it in places. dang things mounted right up but I worked for an hour on each tire getting the molded line to be visible all the way around. I finally figured as long as could see at least some of it it would be ok.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-09-22, 08:06 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

I can see the molded line all the way around but definitely not as much of it in places. dang things mounted right up but I worked for an hour on each tire getting the molded line to be visible all the way around. I finally figured as long as could see at least some of it it would be ok.
Looks like a wonderful ride. Also a wide angle lens may be making it look a little weird tire wise. That bike looks just fantastic really.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-09-22, 09:33 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
The RTPs look perfect on the XOXO.

I really like Handsome's approach to making bikes. Relatively cheap and going with classic bikes. I only wish they would make they bikes in a size larger, they all seem to end at 60cm.
Old 08-09-22, 01:10 PM
jadmt

just got back from a 30 mile ride and the tires are smoooooth riding. I have them set at low-mid 40's psi per Rene Herse chart.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-09-22, 09:19 PM
TERVR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^ that looks really nice.
My 60cm frame has arrived, but I'm not quite ready to start building it yet. Is anyone else building up a frame?
Likes For TERVR:
Old 08-09-22, 09:26 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts

be brutally honest...I have some violet KORE skewers that I have had since the late 80's or early 90's. does this look stupid? I have no sense of style so be honest. thanks.
This is your bike, and my feeling is "you do you". There's a subforum on another site that I'm sure would be super pumped to see this going down. Rhymes with F******. Sub is just one over from ybiking.
Old 08-10-22, 06:05 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by nick_a
This is your bike, and my feeling is "you do you". There's a subforum on another site that I'm sure would be super pumped to see this going down. Rhymes with F******. Sub is just one over from ybiking.
how about a better hint lol.... I am old and have not been keeping up on this stuff lol...
Old 08-10-22, 06:07 PM
jadmt

On the Hiawatha trail.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-10-22, 08:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

On the Hiawatha trail.
Beautiful bike but a skateboard would look good there.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-15-22, 10:27 PM
heytchap

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
We need more updates!
Old 08-16-22, 08:15 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by heytchap
We need more updates!
have you received yours yet? I did find a top tube protector that does not look terrible. It is crazy there are no reports of people with them.

Old 08-16-22, 12:47 PM
dphilips

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
In the photo in this post you can see a protector made from a bit of old leather belt (laced with dental floss). The bars I'm using now don't make contact but for a time I ran bars that did.

Knowing that RTPs fit is tempting, I'm just dreading spending for them and realizing I miss my fenders (even though I have other bikes with fenders)...
Likes For dphilips:
Old 08-16-22, 02:32 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by dphilips
In the photo in this post you can see a protector made from a bit of old leather belt (laced with dental floss). The bars I'm using now don't make contact but for a time I ran bars that did.

Knowing that RTPs fit is tempting, I'm just dreading spending for them and realizing I miss my fenders (even though I have other bikes with fenders)...
Thanks, I think depending on the fenders you could probably make some work. on the Velocity Dyad wheels they measure 51mm. I am really liking this bike. I have did 41, 42 and 46 mile rides on the last 3 days. Still kind of wish I would have went with a 53 instead of a 56 and still wish the rear brake was better, altho the rear brake is livable now, just not as stop on a dime as the front is.
Old 08-16-22, 04:07 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
just got back from a 30 mile ride and the tires are smoooooth riding. I have them set at low-mid 40's psi per Rene Herse chart.
The pressure game is a fun one. I slowly dropped the pressure on my Baby Shoe Pass (650b x 42c) tires over time and am now at 38 psi front, 40 psi rear and they feel good on rough Seattle roads. I am interested to hear what you land on. I would think the 52mm RTPs would be a lower pressure than low to mid 40s but there's also an element of personal preference.
Old 08-16-22, 04:25 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by tricky
The pressure game is a fun one. I slowly dropped the pressure on my Baby Shoe Pass (650b x 42c) tires over time and am now at 38 psi front, 40 psi rear and they feel good on rough Seattle roads. I am interested to hear what you land on. I would think the 52mm RTPs would be a lower pressure than low to mid 40s but there's also an element of personal preference.
I tried 35 psi as well per the soft recommendation but ended up putting it back to 43ish. they feel good at that pressure. If i were going to a long washboard gravel road ride I would probably drop down to 35 again but for smooth gravel roads and rough asphalt I will stick with 43. I did a 46 mile ride today that included a bit of these kind of roads and it felt good yet fast on the tar.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-17-22, 04:35 PM
heytchap

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
have you received yours yet? I did find a top tube protector that does not look terrible. It is crazy there are no reports of people with them.

no, but it’s not due to handsomes fault. I had a crankset shipped to them for installation as I didn’t like the one they were supplying and opted for a NOS vintage shimano exage crank with biopace rings. The crank is lovely and I’m really looking forward to it, but… the seller flubbed the address and the parcel seems to be lost at the moment 💀

hoping to have my bike soon but not in any particular rush.

I saw a lovely orange bike yesterday that I was sure from a distance was an original XO1 or a handsome XOXO but it turned out to be made by a company called “Ebisu bikes” out of Japan. The bike was incredible and colored in construction orange. I have a new goal bike on my radar.
Old 08-17-22, 05:24 PM
jadmt

no, but it’s not due to handsomes fault. I had a crankset shipped to them for installation as I didn’t like the one they were supplying and opted for a NOS vintage shimano exage crank with biopace rings. The crank is lovely and I’m really looking forward to it, but… the seller flubbed the address and the parcel seems to be lost at the moment 💀

hoping to have my bike soon but not in any particular rush.

I saw a lovely orange bike yesterday that I was sure from a distance was an original XO1 or a handsome XOXO but it turned out to be made by a company called “Ebisu bikes” out of Japan. The bike was incredible and colored in construction orange. I have a new goal bike on my radar.
yes those are definitely a step up from the Handsome no doubt. I think they are about $3000 for just frame and fork.
Old 08-17-22, 11:46 PM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
From Jitensha Studio in Berkeley, CA. https://www.jitensha.com/eng/aboutframes_e.html
Old 08-19-22, 08:04 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 6,625 Times in 2,596 Posts
I had one of those, ordered directly from Jitensha in Berkeley. It cost a lot less than $3K at the time (frame and fork):

Now one of these arrived yesterday:

First impression is that those M-bars need to go! I like that it took about 10 minutes to set up, given how much is already completed. It's surprisingly heavy though I haven't weighed it yet. Feels very smooth and stable after a quick test ride around the block.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-19-22, 08:36 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by nlerner
I had one of those, ordered directly from Jitensha in Berkeley. It cost a lot less than $3K at the time (frame and fork):

Now one of these arrived yesterday:

First impression is that those M-bars need to go! I like that it took about 10 minutes to set up, given how much is already completed. It's surprisingly heavy though I haven't weighed it yet. Feels very smooth and stable after a quick test ride around the block.
I agree they are heavy. I would say mine is pushing 30lbs. Give the bars a chance . I have over 500 miles on mine now and this week alone I have done 41,42, 46 and 50 mile rides and the bars feel really good. Do you bars hit the cross bar when turned? I have a 56 frame and have the stem at max height and they still hit. I bought a mojo cycles tube protector off ebay and it helps but kind of ugly....Can't wait to hear some ride reports.....I just went out and weighed using bathroom scale.Ie weighed myself and then weighed myself holding the bike. I know that is not exactly accurate but ~29lbs.....

Last edited by jadmt; 08-19-22 at 10:05 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.