Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2022 Trek FX Sport

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2022 Trek FX Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 05:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
2022 Trek FX Sport

Saw an article on the new Trek FX Sport on Bike Rumor, and was intrigued with the new models as I did not know they were updating them. I bought my wife a 2021 Sport 4 Carbon last year and it is a sweet bike. The only downside with her bike, are the somewhat narrow width tire range, max 35\36, maybe, just maybe a 38 if it is smooth road tire. Something I like about the new model is that you can run up to a 42, 40 width fenders. A down side is that is uses the Trek Thru Skew axles, , but you can run standard thru axle wheels by picking up some caps to use the 135mmx5mm skewers on the rear and 100mm on the front. That will allow me to use my Aeolus Pro 3v's wheels I have from my Domane since I got some different wheels for it. I stopped by the lbs today to talk to them about the bike and getting the caps, as I am thinking I am going order one of these, and the shop had a FX 5 Sport in the store for a guy that ordered a FX5 in Dec 2020 . 16 months....damn, and he has no idea he will be getting this model. The one he ordered for his wife should be there in May.

I really liked the Smoked Red color on the bike, but having seen the Navy Smoke blue, and the Deep Smoke that is on the FX Sport 6, on some other bikes, I am leaning toward the Navy Smoke, it is really a gorgeous color in the sun. When I asked about delivery time, they told me Jan 2023......, but in the big scheme of things, that is not that bad considering when I was looking at a CheckPoint a few months back, that bike delivery was June 2023. This bike will serve a couple of different needs that my Domane and Emonda can't handle.

So if you are looking for a new bike, might take a look at it.

Brian

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-15-22, 10:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Ordered the Sport 5 in Blue today, delivery estimated Jan 30th 2023

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-30-22, 07:40 PM
jaxgtr

So I bought a computer mount so I could put both my Wahoo Roam and Bontrager r800 light under it, but I could not find the little blendr stem accessory I had that will work in the lower mount point. My normal LBS did not have one, the Trek webpage said they did not have any, but told me that a Trek store I do not normally visit as it is not close to my house did have one, so I took a drive. While I was waiting on one of the employees to assist, I noticed that they had this bike in stock, but in the Red color. It looked really nice. I took it for a ride and, yep it was a sweet riding bike. I started to take a picture of it and send it to my wife who is out of town with her mom and say, it followed me home, can I keep it? However, while the bike I ordered is not due to arrive until Jan 2023 and I so wanted to take this bike home, I decided to just remain faithful my normal shop as I have a great relationship with them and would not want to do anything to jeopardize that.

Plus, while I would love to have this bike now, its not like I don't have something to ride at present so I decided I could wait.

Old 05-01-22, 03:07 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Hmm Trek finally updated the confused design of a hybrid bike that is the FX Sport range. The geometry was relaxed, yet the components and ratios were drop bar road built, which realistically limits the number of riders wanting a bike like that. The carbon wheel set is confusing. With 40c, aero isn't much of a consideration, and at 1.7+ kg, the wheels aren't really light for carbon wheels. The ride with good tires on Paradigm Comp alloy wheels on the FXS621 is very decent. The new geometry changes makes for a different bike altogether. And the GRX 40t 11-42t 1x drive train makes this less speedier bike on the top end, which is pretty lacking for flat road and downhill sprints. So they are aiming this for more of a gravel slant, vs the old more road oriented components (but not geometry).
What I do like is definitely the real internal cabling, instead of that garbage from the outgoing model, especially how it feeds into headtube. Not as elegant as the FSA KFX system but much cleaner than before! Any hybrid that can be used as a commuter means a rack option is important, and at least they finally realized it, allowing front and rear rack mounts. For $400 more, I wish they'd just drop the carbon wheels and add stuff like a carbon seatpost and real internal cabling handlebars, if they aren't going to give lightweight wheelsets. I suppose they want to be much cheaper than the Roadlite CF9 LTD, but that has electronic shifters and super lightweight wheels,
IF they include mounting options for kickstands (and why would any bike with rack mounts not have them?), the internal cabling upgrades means the only real upgrade needed is maybe a chainring upsize to 46 or 48t, depending on needs. Interesting but still a bit lost, but that could be said for most of the big brands on their hybrids.
Old 05-02-22, 11:38 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Sardines
Hmm Trek finally updated the confused design of a hybrid bike that is the FX Sport range. ....
I bought my wife the Sport 4 last year and put some Pro 37's on them. Not really for the aero aspect, but for weight and I got a great deal on them, so why not. My wife is not speed demon riding, but this bike works perfect for her needs. I changed out the 11-42 as we have no hills that need that, but the 14-28 is good for the wind we do have and allows her to move up and down in 1 tooth increments, except at the very end where is hops 2 teeth. She generally stays in the 18-19-20 tooth anyway, so this gearing is perfect for her.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-02-22, 03:00 PM
Sardines

Well, with most everything, it's about personal use. My kid wanted the 2x, but stays in the 13t for top range. Once she wears it down more, I will switch it out with the 105 crank with a Ultegra 46/36 or the GRX 48/31 to suit her top end needs on the commute/fitness side. Or maybe try find a 2022 FXS6 2nd hand in '24 to upgrade. Oh and the '22 does have a kickstand mount. More and more complete as a bike.

Last edited by Sardines; 05-02-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 08:42 PM
jaxgtr

Yea I might also look at changing the chain ring to allow for more speed on mine since we are so flat here and I plan to run my Aeolus Pro 3v I pulled off my Domane on this bike

Old 05-02-22, 09:18 PM
linknc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually purchased a 2021 FX4 Carbon a few weeks ago but returned it to the store, because I decided I wanted to ride with wider tires and the 40 tooth chain ring had me wanting for more gears on the flats. I've been using a 2021 DS4 with WTB Byways since last fall on flat paved trails and that bike flies. It's just heavy and I'm looking for someting a bit lighter. I have a 2021 Procaliber 7 and the carbon frame and rims have just absolutely spoiled me, weight wise. The 9.7 is a light weight XC bike that just flies. A couple weeks after I returned the 2021 FX4, I saw the new 2022 FX's. I went back to my local Trek store and was able to secure a 2022 FX6 with a delivery date to the warehouse on 4/25 which has recently been pushed to 5/2. I'm hoping this bike will be the one to get the speed I'm looking for on the flats but I already feel that I'll have to take the chain ring up to 42/44 tooth, out of the gate. I'll give it a few rides to see if I'm wanting for more but I feel it's odd that the 2022 FX4 has a larger chain ring than the 5 and 6, go figure.

Last edited by linknc; 05-02-22 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 12:05 AM
Sardines

If you look for the specs, the FXS5 doesn't even have a XS size, and that's really odd! I think they figure the FXS4 will be their best seller and the "bling" FXS6 is more for the hardcore riders who will probably change things around anyways. My kid loves her FX6 but is already asking me to let her upgrade because the kickstand and the cabling... which is why I told her to buy the Giant or Cube in the first place!
Old 05-11-22, 06:42 PM
jaxgtr

I think they will have a XS, but as they are a model rework, they might have them in stock at the moment. I've seen that before on some bikes when they do a model update.

Old 11-04-22, 07:12 PM
jaxgtr

Got a call from my LBS late tonight, told me my bike finally came in and it ready for pickup. So will go by tomorrow after my ride. Will post some pick. I sold my 2021 Domane so I wont have the Aeolus Pro 3v's anymore, but I do have some Pro 37's that came on my new 2023 Domane that I am not using, so I might put those on it, but positive yet. I might want to keep those as backup's for the Domane if I want to run different sized tires.

Old 01-06-23, 05:01 PM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Got a call from my LBS late tonight, told me my bike finally came in and it ready for pickup. So will go by tomorrow after my ride. Will post some pick. I sold my 2021 Domane so I wont have the Aeolus Pro 3v's anymore, but I do have some Pro 37's that came on my new 2023 Domane that I am not using, so I might put those on it, but positive yet. I might want to keep those as backup's for the Domane if I want to run different sized tires.
How do you like the 2022 fx sport 5? How is the geometry compared to your wife's fx sport 4 ?

Which do you prefer, for pavement riding only ? Is one faster than the other by much ?
Old 01-06-23, 10:06 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
How do you like the 2022 fx sport 5? How is the geometry compared to your wife's fx sport 4 ?

Which do you prefer, for pavement riding only ? Is one faster than the other by much ?
Love it. The geometry is a little different, but nothing major, a mm here and there.

The bike has a lovely ride, I have not replaced the wheels with the spare Aeolus Pro37's Carbon wheels I have yet, the hub caps need to match the thru-skew system that Trek decided to put on this version, were not in stock to order. My wife's bike uses standard through axles. I was a little bummed they moved to this system, but what can you do. The caps are on backorder and supposed to be available in Feb. The stock wheels, while they roll ok, are pretty damn heavy, and I wouldn't mind dumping a few pounds since I have the wheels to do it. I replaced the seat post to a carbon post which helped with the ride quality as well.

I do not use this bike for speed, this is my ride with the wife bike; go to the store bike; ride around the park with my dog bike. I am running 40mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H tires on mine, and I put 35's on hers. Her bike has narrower tire acceptance, I want to say, 38 max. The 5 has a 42 max according to Trek, but I have a boat load of space with the 40's, so I am betting you could fit a 45 slick tire without issue, but knobby tires in that size, probably would be problematic. I don't have a 45mm to test that theory however.

The gearing is not really designed for speed, comes stock with the 1x 40 tooth and 11-42 cassette, and since I live in very flat NE Florida, I will be changing that to a 14-28 or 12-25 cassette I have laying around, just been too lazy to do it at the moment. Once I need to clean the chain, I will probably take care of it then when I add the quick link. If I need to cross a bridge, with the 40 tooth up front, either of these cassette will still be plenty large enough. This bike puts you in much too upright position to be fast in my opinion, but if you are looking for bike to do some good cardio, or just tool around the town, it will work beautifully.

One thing that I did do immediately is warranty out the brakes that came on the bike. I think Trek must have had issues getting the Shimano brake setup that was on the product pages, MT201 levers, UR300 caliper, and RT10 rotors, during the great parts shortage, and bought a crap load of ProMax handles, rotors, and calipers, and they are horrible. My LBS has been warranting them and ordering directly from Shimano to replace them. I had a set of 160mm Ultegra rotors as spares for my old Domane, so I put them on, and will save the RT10's they ordered for me, to use on my wife's bike when she needs new rotors. Braking is night and day difference.

Old 01-06-23, 11:22 PM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Love it. The geometry is a little different, but nothing major, a mm here and there.

The bike has a lovely ride, I have not replaced the wheels with the spare Aeolus Pro37's Carbon wheels I have yet, the hub caps need to match the thru-skew system that Trek decided to put on this version, were not in stock to order. My wife's bike uses standard through axles. I was a little bummed they moved to this system, but what can you do. The caps are on backorder and supposed to be available in Feb. The stock wheels, while they roll ok, are pretty damn heavy, and I wouldn't mind dumping a few pounds since I have the wheels to do it. I replaced the seat post to a carbon post which helped with the ride quality as well.

I do not use this bike for speed, this is my ride with the wife bike; go to the store bike; ride around the park with my dog bike. I am running 40mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H tires on mine, and I put 35's on hers. Her bike has narrower tire acceptance, I want to say, 38 max. The 5 has a 42 max according to Trek, but I have a boat load of space with the 40's, so I am betting you could fit a 45 slick tire without issue, but knobby tires in that size, probably would be problematic. I don't have a 45mm to test that theory however.

The gearing is not really designed for speed, comes stock with the 1x 40 tooth and 11-42 cassette, and since I live in very flat NE Florida, I will be changing that to a 14-28 or 12-25 cassette I have laying around, just been too lazy to do it at the moment. Once I need to clean the chain, I will probably take care of it then when I add the quick link. If I need to cross a bridge, with the 40 tooth up front, either of these cassette will still be plenty large enough. This bike puts you in much too upright position to be fast in my opinion, but if you are looking for bike to do some good cardio, or just tool around the town, it will work beautifully.

One thing that I did do immediately is warranty out the brakes that came on the bike. I think Trek must have had issues getting the Shimano brake setup that was on the product pages, MT201 levers, UR300 caliper, and RT10 rotors, during the great parts shortage, and bought a crap load of ProMax handles, rotors, and calipers, and they are horrible. My LBS has been warranting them and ordering directly from Shimano to replace them. I had a set of 160mm Ultegra rotors as spares for my old Domane, so I put them on, and will save the RT10's they ordered for me, to use on my wife's bike when she needs new rotors. Braking is night and day difference.

Did/would they replace brakes and levers for free, since the bike didnt Have the brakes it should have came with?
Old 01-07-23, 08:35 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
Did/would they replace brakes and levers for free, since the bike didnt Have the brakes it should have came with?
I have been a long time customer at this place and they did not charge me, but I can't speak to more than myself or what other shops do. I paid them off in homemade gingersnaps anyway.

Old 02-25-23, 06:26 PM
jaxgtr

Finally got the caps for the Aeolus Pro37's to work with the thru skew axles and got everything installed. Set it up tubeless with 700x40 Pirelli Centurato Gravel H tires and replaced the Shimano RT10 rotors with some new Shimano Ultegra RT800 Rotors that were spares I had for my old Domane before I got rid of it. I also pulled the 11-42 and replaced it with a 12-25 as I have no need for a 11-42 in very flat Florida. Rides like a dream.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-26-23, 09:40 PM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
You bike is looking very good I've been checking on that model for a week,
and one of the the factory Trek stores here now has a medium to test ride.

Trek is saying that you can mount a rear rack on this one. Your thoughts?
Likes For FrozenBiker:
Old 02-26-23, 10:44 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
bike looks super

what calipers are you running ?

the new rotors are ‘narrow track’ - I believe the old rotors were ‘wide track’ and if so I assume the calipers / pads were compatible with wide track rotors
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-27-23, 09:41 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
You bike is looking very good I've been checking on that model for a week,
and one of the the factory Trek stores here now has a medium to test ride.

Trek is saying that you can mount a rear rack on this one. Your thoughts?
Yea there are mounting points for the rack and fenders, but at this point , I have no plans to do that on this bike. Would make a nice commuter though.
When I used it for a store run here and there, I just used a backpack, but if I was looking for continual thing, I would not hesitate to put a rack on it.

Originally Posted by t2p
bike looks super

what calipers are you running ?

the new rotors are ‘narrow track’ - I believe the old rotors were ‘wide track’ and if so I assume the calipers / pads were compatible with wide track rotors
The stock Shimano UR300. These are not like the newer MT800 rotors, these are the road based RT800 rotors, I just push the calipers in a little, put the wheel in, used a rotor spacer tool and pressed the brake to space it out correctly and have no unwanted rotor rubbing.

Old 03-01-23, 12:04 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

The stock Shimano UR300. These are not like the newer MT800 rotors, these are the road based RT800 rotors, I just push the calipers in a little, put the wheel in, used a rotor spacer tool and pressed the brake to space it out correctly and have no unwanted rotor rubbing.

do the brake pads extend (slightly) past the rotor surface into the arm ?

Last edited by t2p; 03-01-23 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-01-23, 06:15 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by t2p
. do the brake pads extend (slightly) past the rotor surface into the arm ?
I swear I checked them for compatibility, but I am wondering now if I by default, looked for the calipers that were on my Domane since they were the model rotor on my Domane. Well, looks like the RT-10's are going back on.

Old 03-01-23, 08:55 AM
kcactive

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, just joined this forum and not usre if this is the place to create a new post ? If so,can someone help with this...I have a 2022 FX Sport 4 Carbon and want to change the chainring from 40 to 38. The crank is a Prowheel. I am having a chalenge finding the right chainring bolt pattern. It doesn't seem to be symetrical. Any help or redirection is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kcactive; 03-01-23 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-03-23, 11:53 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by kcactive
Hi everyone, just joined this forum and not usre if this is the place to create a new post ? If so,can someone help with this...I have a 2022 FX Sport 4 Carbon and want to change the chainring from 40 to 38. The crank is a Prowheel. I am having a chalenge finding the right chainring bolt pattern. It doesn't seem to be symetrical. Any help or redirection is greatly appreciated.
Hi, and welcome! I think you would get a better response if you started a brand new thread.

Have you looked at the Wolf Tooth chain rings? https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...yclocross-road

Mark
Old 03-06-23, 04:51 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by kcactive

I think the bcd on that crank is 110, but I would check with the Trek dealer and they should be able to find you the proper ring for that crank. Link @msalvetti said, Wolf Tooth has rings that fit almost everything, but you would need to confirm the bolt pattern.

Old 03-07-23, 07:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Sheldon Brown's website has crank spacing numbers for cranks with 4-bolt, uneven spacing: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html

That may help you identify exactly what you have, kcactive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.