Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trailer hitch issue

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Trailer hitch issue

Old 12-01-22, 07:46 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Trailer hitch issue

The hitch I have is increasingly problematic. I had to use (something else) or adapt it around the seat post. the original part that goes around the seat post is not wide enough. My bike is a folding e bike. So I put something around the seat post that I had in my tool box full stop it worked for a little while but then it started to want to sag down where the second part is of the hitch. Also the red plastic part seems to have worn a little bit on one side maybe from the occasional times the trailer has tipped over and disengaged from the hitch full stop at the moment I have something underneath the part of the hitch that would have said down and that's kind of working for now but it's plastic so who knows how long that will hold it up. I didn't put it there for that purpose. It has another purpose and I've only done one ride since so who knows if that's going to work long-term or not. I chose not to have another type of trailer because the motor on a folding e bike is in the back wheel. the advice that I have gotten is that it puts too much pressure on the motor to have it there. And the previous trailer that I had a couple of years ago I broke the motor by hauling bricks. Yes I know I was being a twit. that was nearly a decade ago and a different ebike. so not sure if anybody is got any advice on how to adapt this in a better way. I wish I knew somebody that was maybe a welder to rig up something but I don't know anything like that living in a city. I live in Australia
Old 12-06-22, 11:58 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
These hitches are not designed for suspension seat pots. They need to be mounted on a sturdy seat post. You may want to think about replacing the suspension post with a fixed post and suspension saddle. As for the trailer disengaging from the hitch: You need to lock the hitch a with bolt. The hitch has a threaded hole where a bolt goes into to prevent it from opening up. That red plastic piece is just an anti rattleing device.

Last edited by Harhir; 12-06-22 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 08:59 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Harhir
These hitches are not designed for suspension seat pots. They need to be mounted on a sturdy seat post. You may want to think about replacing the suspension post with a fixed post and suspension saddle. As for the trailer disengaging from the hitch: You need to lock the hitch a with bolt. The hitch has a threaded hole where a bolt goes into to prevent it from opening up. That red plastic piece is just an anti rattleing device.

oh ok i hadnt thought of that. ah well will do with what i have. yes that thing is attached or inserted or screwed in when the trailer is attached to the bike. ah the red thing is for anti rattling ok. seems worn a bit on one side so might replace it. also the whole thing doesnt project out at a straight angle if you know what i mean because of the way i have attached it. i had to modify that because the seat post is too wide for this hitch. for now tho the fix i have is working better tho. that might change as i did drop into a bike store today and got some advice about the seatpost. so will test that out when i can and see if it works. wont solve this issue but might solve another
Old 12-13-22, 12:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I had a similar hitch and it worked quite well when attached to a regular seat post. The red plastic anti-rattle piece can be replaced with duct tape. Quick release pin is more convenient than threaded bolt for mounting and dismounting trailer from hitch.

Old 12-13-22, 07:23 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I had a similar hitch and it worked quite well when attached to a regular seat post. The red plastic anti-rattle piece can be replaced with duct tape. Quick release pin is more convenient than threaded bolt for mounting and dismounting trailer from hitch.

OH ok your attaching mechanism is different to mine. i believe the way i have it attached is not ideal but its what i could do at the time. when i get a chance i will try and rethink it. the duct tape sounds good. have you also got something else there? maybe some rubber? or is it wrapped around the original plastic thing(the anti rattle thing). oh just realised why i use this seatpost. well remembered. so i wasnt able to cycle with the original one and the original seat. intense pain. cant explain it because it was years ago. saved me . i wasnt going to continue cycling it was terrible. anyway so will use what i have. i also think its the angle the hitch thing is at. its not straight and i havent come up with a solution for that
Old 12-15-22, 05:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by rapattack
OH ok your attaching mechanism is different to mine. i believe the way i have it attached is not ideal but its what i could do at the time. when i get a chance i will try and rethink it. the duct tape sounds good. have you also got something else there? maybe some rubber?
It has been awhile since I used that hitch. I think it is a piece of an old inner tube underneath the duct tape.
Old 12-18-22, 09:02 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It has been awhile since I used that hitch. I think it is a piece of an old inner tube underneath the duct tape.
ah i c. anyway i wrapped the duct tape around the red thing and it works so much better. that part anyway. still have to solve so much but it might take time to solve. thanks