Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Mount for iPhone - help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Mount for iPhone - help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 04:09 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I use an iOmount Nomad. Requires you to stick a thin metal disk to your phone case (I used a spare); swaps bikes with ease,
I've use it on an MTB and my road bike for navigating, and I have never lost my phone. I worry about dropping the bike with the phone attached, but that's the same concern with any mount.

iPhone Bike Mount | Nomad ? iOmounts

Last edited by redcon1; 11-16-16 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 11:29 PM
SirrusEliteDisc
Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My phone lives in a Lifeproof case. I don't like the double sided tape mount Lifeproof has gone to so I "invented" my own Lifeproof mount. I took an old Lifeproof Iphone 4S clamp on handlebar mount and a Lifeproof Iphone 6 belt clip apart and made my own Lifeproof Iphone 6 clamp on handlebar mount. Takes about 10 minutes and the phone locks on solid. All phone features are usable and visible.
4S mounts are 5 bucks shipped on ebay these days and I got the belt clip on sale for 25 bucks.
Old 11-16-16, 11:40 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I am a Lifeproof user as well. I have the Lifeactiv quiuckmount on the back of the Fre case and the Bar mount on my beach bike. The phone seems solid and has never came loose.
Old 11-21-16, 10:19 AM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For those Quadlock users, can you comment on the case that is used? Does the mount protrude far? Do you consider the case to be comparable to an otter box or other case that protects the iphone?
Old 11-21-16, 12:23 PM
SnoryCewton
Chubby Chubby Cho-Choo

Bikes: Ghost Nivolet LC 5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxjag
For those Quadlock users, can you comment on the case that is used? Does the mount protrude far? Do you consider the case to be comparable to an otter box or other case that protects the iphone?

Case is black and very slim profile. Mount hardly protrudes at all, I keep it in my pocket all day and never notice. Way thinner than an Otter Box and just as durable. I've dropped my iPhone 6s+ twice on the ground, no problem. I also had a very bad wreck going off road at almost 30mph and flipping over the handlebars. The phone stayed connected to the mount and received no damage.

Case

Case

Mount on the stem
Old 11-21-16, 09:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
On some recent group rides I've chatted with folks who tried other mounts and eventually switched to Quad Lock because it's the most secure and doesn't interfere with accessing any controls on the screen or edges. They all said pretty much the same thing: every other mount they bought was a waste of money compared with the Quad Lock.

The fellow I chattered with Sunday night had fasted the phone directly to the Quad Lock mount. That's pretty permanent. But for a phone that's made to be durable and weatherproof it may be okay.

Otherwise the weak point would be the protective case. My iPhone 4s has a no-name hard shell case and slip holster that came from Verizon and it's darned near bulletproof. It's been dropped a few times, including from ridiculous height, and the worst that's happened is a corner of the protective case finally cracked after four or five years. But the case still works and the phone is undamaged. So if I got a Quad Lock or similar mount I'd fasten it to the Verizon-supplied protective case rather than directly to the phone.

But I usually just stick the phone in a handlebar bag and don't look at it while riding. I'll pull over to check the map during a ride. But I'm not in a hurry. If I was commuting, touring or concerned about time, sure, I'd use a mount on the handlebar, or just buy another navigation/data device.

I just got a weatherproof handlebar bag by Agu (the Qyoto 820 KF) from the Netherlands. Only $20 via a brief Nashbar discount. It includes a map case that velcros onto the lid. The map case plastic works with touch screen devices. And since I often run the iPhone off an external USB battery so it'll last all day, I can stick the phone, USB battery and cord in the map case and everything is waterproofed. It's not elegant, but works well enough for my purposes since I'm a casual loafcyclist and just enjoy wandering around for rides up to 10-12 hours.
Old 11-22-16, 12:54 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I use my phone at work (which is outdoors). The stick-on piece doesn't interfere at all when I slip the phone into my pocket. The Quad Lock is thus far the perfect mounting system for me.
Old 11-22-16, 10:25 AM
SnoryCewton
Chubby Chubby Cho-Choo

Bikes: Ghost Nivolet LC 5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the case. I keep it on the phone all the time, fits in my pocket just fine. Way slimmer than Otter Box case, the mount does not protrude at all. I was in a bad wreck going over the handlebars at over 20mph and the phone stayed on the mount and received no damage.

Old 11-22-16, 10:54 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like the case. They have vibration dampening gel (i think) in the back of it where it attaches to your phone. I also frequently find the lock part a good place for my fingers to rest. The buttons are still very easy to use. All in all, it's a well thought out and executed phone case
Old 11-22-16, 05:47 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks! Quadlock it is. I am going to get the out front mount. Costs a little more but I like the fastening system on it better than the bands.
Old 04-20-17, 09:28 AM
roadbk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,
I know this thread is a little old, but didn't want to start a new one since there is a lot of good info in here. I was debating between using my phone (iphone 7 with lifeproof fre case) attached to my stem or buying a bike computer. Thought I would try my phone out first. It looks like there are some popular options on here (quad lock, nite ize, rockform...). I was hoping to continue to use my lifeproof case. Some of these mounts offer an adapter you stick on the back of your phone. Has anyone had any issues with them? Do they catch or feel awkward during everyday use? I'd rather not put anything on my case, but will if that's the best option. There's a new one on kickstarter that I came across while searching called the switchback that looks like it will work with different phones and cases. Might be worth checking out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-20-17, 10:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I use this (Topeak Iphone4 Phone Drybag) because it is cheap and it is waterproof. I don't care what other people think it looks like. I care very much that I not fry my phone riding through a puddle.
Old 04-20-17, 11:27 AM
gsindela

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremy_s
i always used quadlock in the past, never had an issue with it coming off or anything else regardless of miles of chipseal and rr tracks and texas sized craters in the road i missed. Secure and reasonably priced.
+1
Old 04-20-17, 02:06 PM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
Nite Ize. Works on any bike so you can even take it if you travel and rent a bike. I've used mine to 2 years now and my son has one on his road bike. Inexpensive, works great and absorbs vibration, and I've even used it as an emergency pants clip!
+1 Mine works well and the price is right.
Old 04-20-17, 02:57 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Bscarpenter, since I've upgraded my phone 3 times and each was a different size the price is most definitely right! Same band for all phones =)
Old 04-20-17, 10:03 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this one:

Delta Smartphone Caddy:

https://deltacycle.com/bike-phone-ta...e-holder-black

Cost effective, solid, bulletproof, and works with *any* phone, with or without *any* case. You don't need any clunk proprietary cases like with the quadlock system - I never understood why that one is so popular.

The Delta mounts to either the stem or the handlebar.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 04-20-17, 10:05 PM
therealjoeblow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I use this (Topeak Iphone4 Phone Drybag) because it is cheap and it is waterproof. I don't care what other people think it looks like. I care very much that I not fry my phone riding through a puddle.
Get a Samsung S5/S6/S7 or S8 and you won't need to worry about it. Ride in the rain to your heart's content with IP67 waterproof phones.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 04-21-17, 03:14 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbk
Hey guys,
I know this thread is a little old, but didn't want to start a new one since there is a lot of good info in here. I was debating between using my phone (iphone 7 with lifeproof fre case) attached to my stem or buying a bike computer. Thought I would try my phone out first. It looks like there are some popular options on here (quad lock, nite ize, rockform...). I was hoping to continue to use my lifeproof case. Some of these mounts offer an adapter you stick on the back of your phone. Has anyone had any issues with them? Do they catch or feel awkward during everyday use? I'd rather not put anything on my case, but will if that's the best option. There's a new one on kickstarter that I came across while searching called the switchback that looks like it will work with different phones and cases. Might be worth checking out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
No, I haven't had any issues with the QuadLock stick-on adaptor. My phone goes on the bike, in my suit pocket for concerts, and in my work pants in my horticultural job... and it's as though the adaptor is not there.
Old 04-21-17, 03:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow
Get a Samsung S5/S6/S7 or S8 and you won't need to worry about it. Ride in the rain to your heart's content with IP67 waterproof phones. Cheers TRJB
Yup ... as soon as they start selling them for $4.99, not $499.
Old 04-21-17, 11:44 AM
therealjoeblow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yup ... as soon as they start selling them for $4.99, not $499.
S7's are actually $0.00 at most of my local carriers now, as they are trying to clear out stock in anticipation of the S8 arrivals.

The S7 is a fantastic phone.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 11-01-17, 01:32 AM
tayloranthony

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love this cases collection makes! It looks like a bike mount holder will be included with all iPhone X bike mount purchases. https://www.howtoisolve.com/best-ipho...mounts-holder/
Old 11-01-17, 07:28 AM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Another multiple quad lock owner. I use them on both Road and MTB.
Old 11-01-17, 10:58 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Quadlock! I can honesty say, all the positive responses here are absolutely true. Once you own one, you won't go back to anything else. Highly recommend.
Old 11-03-17, 06:05 PM
Beachbumer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rokform

I have been using a Rokform case and car & bike mounts for a few years. Hands down they are the best I have ever used. The bike mount is unobtrusive and the phone case locks in sold. The case has a built in magnet and the car mount is simply a magnet the size of a quarter the sticks to the dash. It is by far the slickest design for a car mount. I have had my car to the track {road course** and my phone stays mounted to the magnet. I have crashed my bike and had the phone stay in place. I normally do not rave about a product but this one is worth raving about.
Old 11-05-17, 04:23 PM
RonnieR

Bikes: Trek FX2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll also agree on Rockform cases. I bought mine from Amazon warehouse for $12.00. Slim case fits in my pocket and the magnet is useful for holding phone on refrigerator, washer, car hood, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.