Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Trainer Advice Needed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 02:39 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I am 53 years old and started riding late this summer. I spin a couple times a week at the gym at work for 30-35 miles and was riding once a week in the evening and once on the weekends for 15-20 miles at a relaxed pace. Now the weather is getting cold and wet here in PA and I told my wife I would like a decent fluid trainer for x-mas - so I can ride indoors a few times a week in addition to my spin classes. I want to improve my fitness and loose some weight. I have lost 2-3 inches off my waist so far - but my weight has not really dropped much. I believe it is because my legs have built up and are offsetting the waist decrease. I would like to be in good shape for spring riding - 20-30 miles at moderate pace. Not looking for speed or century fitness - but I just enjoy being outside riding.

I have done a fair amount of research and was down to CO Fluid 2 or the KK Road Machine. KK is running a 20% off sale for the next few days. Kind of leaning toward the KK Road Machine especially with the 20% off sale. But I am not sure about the following:

1.) If I get the road machine should I spend the extra extra money for the iN Ride/Smart sensor - I think it is a $40 option? Or are there better after market sensors that will work better for that amount or slightly more?

2.) Is there a good training app/site that I can use with my tablet to help me train - if so does this effect my choice in 1 above?

3.) I was thinking about buying a vintage 10 speed Schwinn or the like off C/L to put on the trainer and leave there - so my bikes are free. I think I will be more likely to jump on if I don't have to get a bike and take it down to the game room and mount it each time. I don't see why that would not work - since weight does not matter on the trainer. Just need something which fits me about right and has reasonably solid frame and good shifters/cranks/gears. Any one done something like that?

4.) I currently do not own a heart rate monitor strap guess I might need one?

I was going to by and cheap bra to catch some sweat and stick a 10" fan on the floor in front of the bike. I have a decent foam floor mat about 3 by 6 to put under the bike for sweat. And I was going to build a wood block holder for the front wheel - I am pretty handy with wood.

Any thing else you would suggest or recommend???

Old 11-26-16, 12:50 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I resumed riding a couple of months ago and even though I am in Florida, the weather and early dark drove me to look at trainers. I have ordered the Cycleops Magnus from nashbar.com. They have a 25% off sale ending tomorrow I think. See if they have a trainer you like.

I wanted a smart trainer to work with zwift.com. Zwift is an increasingly popular site with virtual reality cycling. I suggest checking it out. trainerroad.com is another popular site but I don't think they have anything quite like zwift. If you go that route, you will want sensors, cadence and speed at least. I like having a heart rate monitor as well. You can also use these on your bike for outdoor riding to give you more insight into your skills and improvement.

Here is a good website talking about zwift. Pretty much tell you all you want to know and then some.

Zwift User Manual - An Updated Guide - TitaniumGeek

Here is an article from dcrainmaker who is a very good resource imo. This one talks about trainers:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/...endations.html

Hope that helps. Good luck!!
Old 11-26-16, 12:51 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I should add, I am giving up spinning as a result. I got bored with spinning.
Old 01-04-17, 08:58 AM
wookv

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxjag
I resumed riding a couple of months ago and even though I am in Florida, the weather and early dark drove me to look at trainers. I have ordered the Cycleops Magnus from nashbar.com. They have a 25% off sale ending tomorrow I think. See if they have a trainer you like.

I wanted a smart trainer to work with zwift.com. Zwift is an increasingly popular site with virtual reality cycling. I suggest checking it out. trainerroad.com is another popular site but I don't think they have anything quite like zwift. If you go that route, you will want sensors, cadence and speed at least. I like having a heart rate monitor as well. You can also use these on your bike for outdoor riding to give you more insight into your skills and improvement.

Here is a good website talking about zwift. Pretty much tell you all you want to know and then some.

Zwift User Manual - An Updated Guide - TitaniumGeek

Here is an article from dcrainmaker who is a very good resource imo. This one talks about trainers:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/...endations.html

Hope that helps. Good luck!!
Jaxjag,
I also ordered a Cycleops Magnus during the Nashbar promotion, but it's backordered and I haven't received mine yet. Have you received yours? If you have, how is it? I've been a rollers guy for many years, this is the first trainer I'm buying and, I'm primarily buying it to use with Zwift (otherwise I'd buy a cheaper one).

Thanks!
Old 01-04-17, 09:19 AM
howellhandmade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The KK InRide sensor is compatible with both Zwift and TrainerRoad; I've used it for both on my iPad via Bluetooth. Easy. The cadence does seem to fluctuate and read consistently a little low (I had that impression so checked for extended periods with a metronome), but for the sake of playing on Zwift and getting a workout it's fine.
Old 01-04-17, 11:28 AM
decentdrummer91

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally would advise against a trainer. I bought one thinking I would like it, but as others above said, it gets boring real fast. Also, I didn't like that my rear tire would have uneven tread wear compared to my front one.
Old 01-08-17, 07:56 AM
drinkslinger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes get one. Trainers suck but for when it's cold/hurricaning/snowing etc., they work. KK trainers are way nice. I went with a basic set up for my trainer. Cycle Ops Fluid2, phone book for a riser block, and a thrift store yoga mat for sweat catcher. The Fluid2 is super quiet. my puppy just curls up on the couch when I'm doing a trainer session. That also means I don't have to turn the volume on the tv or stereo all the way up.
A Zwift account is a great idea. It makes using the trainer a lot less of a chore. You will need an ANT+ dongle to work with standard speed/cadence/HR sensors, but there are bluetooth and BLE sensors out there that will work if your computer has bluetooth. You don't need a smart trainer. My dumb trainer works just fine. The only drawback with Zwift and a dumb trainer is it doesn't change the resistance when climbing in game. But I can't see dropping $1K or more to ride my bike in my living room.

Honestly, I prefer the trainer for complex interval workouts as opposed to the roads. I don't have to worry about cars, potholes, red lights etc.
Old 01-08-17, 08:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by drinkslinger
. The only drawback with Zwift and a dumb trainer is it doesn't change the resistance when climbing in game. But I can't see dropping $1K or more to ride my bike in my living room.
You don't have to spend anywhere near $1K for a smart trainer. eg. Tacx Vortex Smart can be found for under $350 from some euro sites, as can a number of other models.
Old 01-08-17, 12:10 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I listen to old radio programs on my phone while I ride my trainer. I also listen to them when I ride my morning 10 miles around town to break up the boredom.

But I'd much rather be bored riding the trainer than go back to not riding until it warms up again and let my legs get out of shape.
Old 01-08-17, 12:16 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You don't have to spend anywhere near $1K for a smart trainer. eg. Tacx Vortex Smart can be found for under $350 from some euro sites, as can a number of other models.
Don't all EU sites forbid shipping TACX to the USA?

Every single trainer/roller for sale on EU outlets I've ever seen has expressly stated no US deliveries.
Old 01-08-17, 12:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Don't all EU sites forbid shipping TACX to the USA?

Every single trainer/roller for sale on EU outlets I've ever seen has expressly stated no US deliveries.
German sites seem to allow or work..
eg.
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...trainer-246764

On that note.. we've seen many reasons floated for why bikes and bike parts cost more in the US.. eg. the distributor system for bike equipment. What's the reason trainers would have the same markup here.. are these going thru the same distributors as the bikes? We don't see these kinds of things happening eg with camera equipment or consumer electronics etc..
Old 01-08-17, 05:30 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
eg.

On that note.. we've seen many reasons floated for why bikes and bike parts cost more in the US.. eg. the distributor system for bike equipment. What's the reason trainers would have the same markup here.. are these going thru the same distributors as the bikes? We don't see these kinds of things happening eg with camera equipment or consumer electronics etc..
Because the hand wringing over the death of the LCS (local camera shop) ended 20 years ago. B&H and Adorama had pretty much driven margins to sustenance levels through camera magazine ads and telephone sales long before the internet and internet politics even started to come into play.

The LBS and distribution channels are still trying to defer the realities of disintermediation for as long as possible. Ultimately, the will fail, at least with result to commodity product fulfillment. Meanwhile we will see lots of wierdities, like sram for 20% below usa dealer cost when bought gray market.
Old 01-08-17, 05:37 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
eg.

Mainline-branded consumer electronics tend to be the opposite. What we get cheap(er) in the USA the rest of the world pays more for in consumer electronics.

Had a Russian touring troup come through....their tour wrangle was annoyed because all his charges brought empty suitcases to the USA to go shopping for friends and family back home. One guy came into the hall from a day-shopping-trip with a compound bow and arrow...another with a 27" iMac he was putting in his spare suitcase. There are exceptions, many Chinese electronics makers view our arcane patent law (legal monopoly effectively) as naive hence the iPhone lookalikes that are rampant.
Old 01-08-17, 07:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Because the hand wringing over the death of the LCS (local camera shop) ended 20 years ago. B&H and Adorama had pretty much driven margins to sustenance levels through camera magazine ads and telephone sales long before the internet and internet politics even started to come into play.

The LBS and distribution channels are still trying to defer the realities of disintermediation for as long as possible. Ultimately, the will fail, at least with result to commodity product fulfillment. Meanwhile we will see lots of wierdities, like sram for 20% below usa dealer cost when bought gray market.
So, honestly curious, what's the state of affairs for the LBSs in Europe? ie. where these online retailers reside in their own backyard. Are prices for a Tacx trainer out of an LBS in the UK or Germany, the equivalent to what US retailers are selling them for? The plight of the local store is evident vs. eg. Amazon here in the US, but even for groupsets and these trainers, Amazon isn't any differently priced really than the LBS's I don't think.