Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pros/cons of hiking sandals for touring (not a "do you" thread :)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pros/cons of hiking sandals for touring (not a "do you" thread :)

Old 05-09-17, 09:23 AM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I prefer Chaco's but I do love sandals.
Old 05-09-17, 11:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
This being said, I like the idea of spiked platforms. Is there a consensus as to which is worth its salt? Googled and read a bit. No obvious winner.
So, pretty much the same as everything in cycling?

I've got quite a few different platform styles. I don't like the MKS with the points at the end, my feet don't fit on them well. The rest have me gravitating more towards the ones with more platform for my food to fit on, just short of the rubber block style. I've only got a few rides on a style like this, but I am liking it so far: Wellgo V8 Copy Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles.

My second favorites, there is actually quite a bit of platform in the center for my foot to rest on, it is pretty flush with the outside: https://www.amazon.com/XLC-Caged-All.../dp/B000YRU4NM
Old 05-09-17, 12:12 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
IMO, no grown men should be seen with open toe shoes outside of their home.

Cons, safety...

No need to discuss pros. after this.
CAD doesn't have heat or beaches, NA
Old 05-09-17, 12:15 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
OP, for pedals go with aluminum and steel pins, prices vary from $ 50 to +150. I use specialized ones , maybe $ 50 or so. No slipping, even in rain. I use keens sandals, stiff sole, great grip. No downside for me. Cool for summer months when I tour.
Old 05-09-17, 12:16 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 781 Posts
with spiked platforms, do be careful of them scratching your shins/legs, they can do some good gouges when moving the bike around or pushing it if one is not careful.
Old 05-09-17, 12:27 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I ride in high end flip-flops all spring and summer. Large flats are definitely something you want. Nashbar sells a nice set called Nashbar Verge for a good price(around $50). They honestly are as nice as some flats twice their price. You'll get plenty of grip. Another important thing to look at is getting a low profile pedal. It'll help with pedal roll/feet slipping off if that's something that's a problem for you. Basically you want nice MTB flat pedals. AL, sealed bearing, low profile, large platform.

Also keep in mind that most any flat pedal is gonna be better than the flat side of the Shimano dual sided pedals. The flat side of those, in my experience with two pairs, is terrible.

Last edited by 3speed; 05-12-17 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-09-17, 12:35 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I can't comment on sandals, my toes get banged up by flying debris and I need something there for protection. To each his own. I use platform pedals and some type of "water" shoe for all of my riding except in the winter. I find that combination provides a balance of comfort on and off the bike in a variety of conditions (except in the winter). Water shoes allow a lot of air through them and even with socks on they dry out very quick while riding, some of the real cheap ones are too flimsy for me.
My specific pedals are these, cheap, light, have lasted me thousands of miles on and off road. I have a pair on my gravel bike and MTB. I've been a platform person for decades so YMMV. My current shoe is a Columbia Drainmaker III but I also have other far cheaper ones I use too.

Last edited by u235; 05-10-17 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 02:01 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My personal experience has been injuries when riding without cycling shoes.
Old 05-09-17, 08:14 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Cons, safety...

For me the safety problem would be sandals/flip-flops slipping off the pedals like when hopping off a curb; the open-toe doesn't seem like a major issue unless toes go ride to front edge of sandals.

"New Boots", one of my favorite Kids in the Hall sketches:

Old 05-09-17, 11:26 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
CAD doesn't have heat or beaches, NA
I live in Canada, but I don't tour in Canada because I only get winter vacation time. I love 35c+ heat.

IME, covering with lighter fabric when in hotter area is cooler than bare skin. Dryfit type fabric takes sweat off my body fast and keeps me cool so I tend to cover my body more than when I'm in Canada.
Old 05-09-17, 11:29 PM
linus
Crawler

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
For me the safety problem would be sandals/flip-flops slipping off the pedals like when hopping off a curb; the open-toe doesn't seem like a major issue unless toes go ride to front edge of sandals.

"New Boots", one of my favorite Kids in the Hall sketches:

https://youtu.be/NKWvk4eoMH4
Also if you have crash, you might damage your feet too.

Even the safety problem you've mentioned alone is enough for me.
Old 05-10-17, 12:04 AM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts

Cons, safety...

I believe there's a thread here somewhere discussing the merits of the various different neck tie knots and most suitable three piece suit material for the gentleman tourer.
Old 05-10-17, 12:16 AM
linus
Crawler

Originally Posted by tspoon
I believe there's a thread here somewhere discussing the merits of the various different neck tie knots and most suitable three piece suit material for the gentleman tourer.
Riding with style. Love it.

Old 05-10-17, 02:58 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
with spiked platforms, do be careful of them scratching your shins/legs, they can do some good gouges when moving the bike around or pushing it if one is not careful.
remove the spikes from the bottoms of the platforms

Originally Posted by u235
I can't comment on sandals, my toes get banged up by flying debris and I need something there for protection.
mtb dog muzzle style plastic clips provide more protection than
smaller road style clips.
Old 05-10-17, 03:10 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Riding with style. Love it.

I'm loving the pegs on the front forks so they can "freewheel" downhill!
Old 05-10-17, 03:24 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I like the Shimano "Saint" pedals. They seem to last a good long time. They look good and the price is right.

For what its worth, I like Keen sandals because of their rubber toe design. They are more of a shoe with openings than a true sandal imho. Durable, cool and sturdy.

What I have come to seriously enjoy is riding my 29er with the RaceFace Chester platform pedals and I wear a pair of these: adidas Outdoor Terrex Trail Cross SL Umber/Black/Energy - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

The stealth soles are awesome. Very little slip, and I'll probably wear them on my Divide tour.
Old 05-10-17, 05:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 552 Posts
On tour I never use anything but spd pedals/shoes for riding. Depending on how much hiking is likely I may also take a pair of trail runners, but on trips where i expect to only hike a mile or two once in a while i am likely to just have only the bike shoes (Sidi Giau with spd cleats). My rationale is that on tour I am riding all day and when on the bike the spd clipless shoe/pedal system win hands down over other options.

At home on my beater bike I use pedals with spd on one side and a cage on the other. For short hops to the store or whatever I might wear whatever shoes I happen to have on and use the cage side of the pedal. If going any substantial distance I wear my bike shoes and use the spd side of the pedal.
Old 05-10-17, 06:46 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Last tour the bike had VP hybrid pedals, clipless on one side and platform on the other so that I could use the usual SPD shoes or the sandals I had along for casual wear. In three weeks of riding I never rode the bike in sandals but could have if I chose.

And I never wear sandals without socks. Not a child molester and not a dweeb, it's just what I find to be comfortable.

Last edited by thumpism; 05-10-17 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 09:07 AM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Thanks everyone. Settles it for me. Teva it is.

The question now becomes: what about pedals? What to look for? Is there an obvious dominant choice?

I'll keep my current pedals for now, but might switch in time for our summer tour.
These are awesome pedals: Stolen Thermalite Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
Been using them for a year and a half and always ride with sneakers or sandals. Another good option is this: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...sneaker-pedals
Old 05-10-17, 09:29 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use bmx/platform style pedals and regular (non-bike) Keen sandals for all my riding (i.e., touring, commuting, exercise, etc.). Keens have closed front which offers protection of toes.

Keen
Newport H2

Pedals - I use these
Xpedo MX-Force 3 Magnesium Platform Pedal: Black
and these
Nashbar Verge Platform Pedals
both excellent.
Old 05-10-17, 10:11 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Also if you have crash, you might damage your feet too.

Even the safety problem you've mentioned alone is enough for me.
I only ride w/sandals due to fit issues. OTOH have ridden 1,000's kms with flip-flops & they've never caused an actual crash, but at least 6 falls from shoes/cleats. Toes seem like they'd be rather vulnerable in a crash but I've never had any crash where toes were involved.
Old 05-12-17, 12:37 AM
linus
Crawler

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I only ride w/sandals due to fit issues. OTOH have ridden 1,000's kms with flip-flops & they've never caused an actual crash, but at least 6 falls from shoes/cleats. Toes seem like they'd be rather vulnerable in a crash but I've never had any crash where toes were involved.
No argument there. It's just me. I just can't stand sandals.
Old 05-12-17, 08:17 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by bwgride
Keens have closed front which offers protection of toes.

Keen
Newport H2
Do you find those to dry fairly quick? As I'm already carrying a pair of sandals for my next tour to cross streams in, I figured I may try the pedaling in sandals for a day or two while I'm at it, looking for something with a solid sole and fairly quick to dry out.
Old 05-12-17, 08:32 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Do you find those to dry fairly quick? As I'm already carrying a pair of sandals for my next tour to cross streams in, I figured I may try the pedaling in sandals for a day or two while I'm at it, looking for something with a solid sole and fairly quick to dry out.
No. I bought the H2 sandals for a backpacking trip on Jack's River trail in Georgia. About 21 river crossings in 7 miles one-way, so 42 crossings in total on the out and back. I found some material would still be wet overnight. That could be partially due to high humidity and lack of sunlight in the forest.

They dry faster while bicycling, but they do have some material that absorbs water - at least my version of the H2. I think it is the neoprene-like material that serves as padding under the nylon straps. Also, there is some material that looks like leather that also absorbs water.

Sandals without the padding material under the nylon straps - like Chacos - will dry faster.

I would buy Keen H2, or similar sandals, again. I prefer the toe protection over the quick drying.
Old 05-12-17, 08:55 AM
jefnvk

Thanks. Gotta do some looking this weekend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.