Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

PowerBug for Dynamo Hub, Phone Charging

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

PowerBug for Dynamo Hub, Phone Charging

Old 12-08-17, 01:15 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Having a Forumslader and a Sinewave I can say that I definitely perceive a difference in drag between the two, with the Forumslader having more drag than the Sinewave. I initially thought it was my imagination so I disconnected the Forumslader mid ride and the difference was distinct. As an aside, I still use the Forumslader exclusively and on every ride so I guess I'm not too bothered by it.
Old 12-08-17, 09:58 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
Looks to be similar to the Sinewave... In any case I have a Sinewave Revolution and a Forumslader. The Forumslader cost more but I freaking love it. The Sinewave is okay but definitely needs a cache battery when paired with an iPhone and isn't nearly as efficient as the Forumslader. I don't see much on the Powerbug so no comments there, sorry.

Rifraf, Best I can find it's from Poland and sold on Ebay, https://powerbug.pl

I hope the OP doesn't end up in the middle of another Ebay fiasco...
Thanks for the link.
Another charger that might be considered is the NC-17 AppCon GT # 1

I'm rushed today and struggling to find an English language link but Google has a translate link.

https://www.pocketnavigation.de/2016...nc-appcon-gt1/

When it first came out, my understanding is it was called "Be-on-bike Harvester"
https://www.be-on-bike.de/en/harvester/overview.html

With the caveat that the pricing isn't bargain basement level

Last edited by rifraf; 12-08-17 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 10:41 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
Having a Forumslader and a Sinewave I can say that I definitely perceive a difference in drag between the two, with the Forumslader having more drag than the Sinewave. I initially thought it was my imagination so I disconnected the Forumslader mid ride and the difference was distinct. As an aside, I still use the Forumslader exclusively and on every ride so I guess I'm not too bothered by it.
got to charge up those capacitors somehow.
Old 12-09-17, 07:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
It would be nice if there was a thorough review of all the charging options out there. Before I bought any of my three chargers, I saw some reviews of cheaper ones that said they cut out at higher speeds, comments on lack of waterproofing, etc. When you look at reviews on a site like amazon, it is hard to know if those are representative or if those are mostly posted by unhappy people, in general I did not see any good discussion of the options anywhere.

I was a bit frustrated with the high cost of what I percieved to be an inexpensive device so I tried to make my own. After blowing out several of them on downhills where the over-voltage from the hub fried the capacitors I decided to just go ahead and buy them instead of make my own. A dynohub can put out very high voltage at high speed if there is no load applied to it, I measured over 30 volts (AC) downhill at 25 mph. Now, several years later I have accumulated three different USB chargers.

I will summarize the three that I have, as follows:

B&M Luxos U. I have the Luxos U on the bike I built up this past spring. It is a USB charger and headlamp combination. Some people complain that it is quite large, but I think it is just fine. Some people have complained about waterproofing issues on this light, their first generation had different wiring and suffered water ingress. If I was going to ride all day in the rain, I might be tempted to put a plastic bag over it. Or if it was sitting outside during the night, might put plastic bag over it. I like the light pattern, it is asymmetric, in that it is wider than high with a reasonably good cutoff at the top so you are not wasting a lot of light by shining it over the horizon. USB charger is attached to the handlebar with a remote switch to operate the light. It is the only charger that I have that has a built in cache (pass through) battery.

AXA Luxx 70 Plus is another headlamp USB charger combination, the the USB charger is in the mount. These are not sold in USA, I ordered it from an online seller in Germany. This was my first USB charger. I am unimpressed with the waterproofing (or lack of it) for the USB circuitry. No cache battery. I like the light pattern, it is asymmetric, similar pattern to the Luxos U.

Sinewave Revolution USB charger. It works very well but it does not have a cache battery. It is possibly the most waterproof of all of the chargers out there, I bought it for my Iceland trip where I expected frequent rain.

My frequent reference to a cache (pass through) battery is because some devices will not charge if plugged directly into a charger that lacks the cache battery. That battery smooths out the power flow. My Garmin 64 is one of the devices that won't accept a charge unless a cache battery is in the circuit. I have to use an external cache battery when I use my Sinewave or my AXA headlamp.

Maybe someone other than me should start a new thread comparing chargers.
Old 12-09-17, 10:13 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I'll just reiterate my happiness with my E-werk which I think is one of the originals.
Given that its an old purchase, I shouldnt be surprised that the cache battery is now toast and needs replacing.
I should note too, that the price of said cache battery has remarkably reduced since I purchased mine as has the E-werk itself.
I've tried to keep up with the knowledge set of whats new and out there currently given that my ownership predates 2012 if memory serves and my units simply keeps on working fine.
My point being, baring the forumslader, not a lot of new tech has really been introduced with regards charging.
Yes, we've had inroads regarding somewhat better solar panels but they don't in my opinion yet compete with dynohub power systems.
One thing thats somewhat new is the plethora of battery banks now available for previously unheard of prices.
Decent 20,000mAh units can now regularly be found for under $50 here in Australia.
Xiaomi branded Mi batteries come in varies flavours from 5000mAh to 20,000mAh with faster charging with each iteration and now with the ability to receive a charge whilst charging something else and the standards just keep getting better.
Its an exciting time, technology wise, to be a cycle tourist despite it sometimes looking like things move slowly in improvements in dynohub charging.
When I look at how far things have moved in regards of gps bike computers, radar assisted lighting and on-bike cameras I can only marvel at the leaps and bounds.
Old 12-11-17, 11:55 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Biologic Reecharge and it works very well. Cost $30.

ReeCharge Dynamo Kit with Micro-USB Cable | BioLogic Bicycle Accessories and Bike Gear

Here is a review I wrote describing the use and power capabilities. Unfortunately this review had a troll, so ignore those posts.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...t-charger.html
Old 12-12-17, 04:04 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Any idea if the ReeCharge is waterproof? I didn't see anything on the site about it being waterproof or safe to leave it on the bike in foul weather.
Old 12-12-17, 09:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ask the sellers yet?
Old 12-12-17, 11:50 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3speed
Any idea if the ReeCharge is waterproof? I didn't see anything on the site about it being waterproof or safe to leave it on the bike in foul weather.
I have an older version, and it is sealed tight - maybe not waterproof, but certainly appears rain and splash proof. I don't have any problem with it in rain.

I cannot address your question for the newer version, but from the looks I would estimate it is similarly rain and splash proof, and it one applied silicone or similar on the seam, it would likely be waterproof.
Old 04-25-18, 08:32 AM
PowerBUG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

My name's Mateusz and I am the founder of PowerBUG device. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I would like to reassure you that our product is safe and stable, by statements of many of our customers. I invite you also to check out our device with a special discount for the forum's users: the coupon POWERBUG10 gives you 10% off the regular price Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at www.powerbug.pl, we are in the middle of preparing an english version of the website, but I hope you'll manage with google translator