Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rotation Limiting Headset Hunt.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rotation Limiting Headset Hunt.

Old 03-19-17, 03:16 PM
Deaner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tombc
After the strap it seems the spring stabilizer is the next most simple, time tested, classic and easy to implement solution. You could remove the plastic sheath.
Ive given it consideration, and may well braze another bottle boss to avoid the clamp. I am thinking that to improve it I ought to run a braided steel cable through the inside of the spring, thereby giving me a hard stop as well as the tension provided by the spring. THough a project such as this will have to wait until I am ready for a new paint job...
Old 03-19-17, 03:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Alan (# 23) is there, in DC.* IDK Where You Are..

*one wall is black granite with the names of thousands of people who did not get to be my age, now..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 03-19-17, 03:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I have a One Off Bike with a unique fork crown that bumps against a Nylon Block on the Down Tube, when the wheel swings,

that is also my Front Derailleur cable stop.

Its a different one than the Koga .
Old 03-19-17, 04:23 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I suspect front wheel flop is more of a problem when using a kick stand.
I suspect that you are correct, sir!
Old 03-19-17, 08:04 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Alan (# 23) is there, in DC.* IDK Where You Are..

*one wall is black granite with the names of thousands of people who did not get to be my age, now..
Not that wall, of course.
Old 03-20-17, 12:12 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Deaner
I need help finding a solution to keep my handlebars from rotating and hitting my top tube...
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/t...-inch/?geoc=US

Thorn's "steering lock" should work provided:
a. you have >10mm of headset spacer on a 1 1/8" fork steerer tube to permit striker installation, and
b. your headtube has >10mm of extension above toptube junction and an OD of ~37mm to permit limiter installation. You need striker and limiter parts for a complete "steering lock". Make sure all fasteners are included since they are probably not a stock item at the Local Hardware Store.

Headtubes with 37mm OD are typical for steel frames designed to accommodate forks with 28.6mm (1.125") steerers. For example, the Thorn "steering lock" will fit a Surly LHT/DT (28.6mm steerer/30-40mm HT extension/37.3mm HT OD).

Obviously a velcro strap, mini bungee or paracord through the wheel and over the downtube will also immobilize the fork/wheel/rack/luggage, saving ~60g and $60. I prefer the simple/cheap solution in this case.
Old 03-20-17, 12:27 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
NM this must be what you're referring to on the REI bikes...

Doesn't FSA make one called the headblock???

https://ebike.hu/products/steering/h...-hbs-1-1-8-90/

Last edited by edthesped; 03-20-17 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 12:48 PM
Deaner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
NM this must be what you're referring to on the REI bikes...

Doesn't FSA make one called the headblock???

https://ebike.hu/products/steering/h...-hbs-1-1-8-90/

The link you posted is what rei specs on some f their frame, it is unfortunately not available from fsa, they just put their name on it. In design it seems very similar to the Acros so I wonder if there is some weird licensing restrictions going on. The link you posted is the only other place on the web I have found mention of the headblock. I am really hoping that it will pop up somewhere else though.
Old 03-20-17, 12:51 PM
Deaner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/t...-inch/?geoc=US

Thorn's "steering lock" should work provided:
a. you have >10mm of headset spacer on a 1 1/8" fork steerer tube to permit striker installation, and
b. your headtube has >10mm of extension above toptube junction and an OD of ~37mm to permit limiter installation. You need striker and limiter parts for a complete "steering lock". Make sure all fasteners are included since they are probably not a stock item at the Local Hardware Store.

Headtubes with 37mm OD are typical for steel frames designed to accommodate forks with 28.6mm (1.125") steerers. For example, the Thorn "steering lock" will fit a Surly LHT/DT (28.6mm steerer/30-40mm HT extension/37.3mm HT OD).

Obviously a velcro strap, mini bungee or paracord through the wheel and over the downtube will also immobilize the fork/wheel/rack/luggage, saving ~60g and $60. I prefer the simple/cheap solution in this case.
Thank you, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I don't mind 60 grams so I will probably be getting this unless something pops up.
Do you have any personal experience with this?
Old 03-20-17, 01:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

On my Bike With a front Porteur rack on the down tube, I have a Strap with a Side Release Buckle. Its quick to use..
Old 03-20-17, 01:25 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
My wife carries a hair scrunchie on her bike. When she parks, she doubles it up and slips it over her brake lever, engaging the brake. The bike does not move, and does not fall. Problem solved. I do the same thing now, except I use a fat rubber band. I saw what the wife was doing, and I said to her, "Honey, get me a rubber band, and make it snappy!"
Cut a section of 26" inner tube, works well for brake levers.
Old 03-20-17, 01:35 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The link you posted is what rei specs on some f their frame, it is unfortunately not available from fsa, they just put their name on it. In design it seems very similar to the Acros so I wonder if there is some weird licensing restrictions going on. The link you posted is the only other place on the web I have found mention of the headblock. I am really hoping that it will pop up somewhere else though.
Yeah, I figured that out when I tried to find one for sale... Sorry.
Old 04-02-17, 12:29 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FWIW, I tried the Batavus one, and ended up removing it a few months later as it was ineffective. Any real load on the front rack overpowered it and the front wheel flopped anyway. It appeared to be designed so that you could overpower the lock so that you didn't cycle away from a halt with your handlebars locked and unable to maneuver. Unfortunately, this overzealous safety measure made the whole thing basically useless.

If for some reason someone still wanted to try that one, even with the above knowledge, you should also know it's just half a headset, the upper half. If your old headset is toast, you'd still need to source a lower.

I realize this doesn't address the OP's problem, but since that product came up in this thread I felt like I should share my experience with it, particularly when I posted about it last year before I got it, no one had ever used one here before.
Old 04-02-17, 04:55 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I install a piece of self adhesive Velcro tape on the down tube, Makes it a one handed operation.
The pictures show how it works, and stores.

-Snuts-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0072.jpg (95.4 KB, 273 views)
DSCN0073.jpg (95.5 KB, 264 views)
DSCN0076.jpg (97.0 KB, 268 views)
DSCN0075.jpg (97.6 KB, 264 views)
DSCN0077.jpg (94.9 KB, 263 views)
DSCN0078.jpg (95.9 KB, 266 views)
Old 04-02-17, 09:20 PM
Deaner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero

FWIW, I tried the Batavus one, and ended up removing it a few months later as it was ineffective. Any real load on the front rack overpowered it and the front wheel flopped anyway. It appeared to be designed so that you could overpower the lock so that you didn't cycle away from a halt with your handlebars locked and unable to maneuver. Unfortunately, this overzealous safety measure made the whole thing basically useless.

If for some reason someone still wanted to try that one, even with the above knowledge, you should also know it's just half a headset, the upper half. If your old headset is toast, you'd still need to source a lower.

I realize this doesn't address the OP's problem, but since that product came up in this thread I felt like I should share my experience with it, particularly when I posted about it last year before I got it, no one had ever used one here before.
Cool. Thanks for the insight.
Did you get a 1" threaded headset from Batavus, or is it a 1 1/8" one? Are you still using the headset?
Old 04-02-17, 09:20 PM
Deaner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
I install a piece of self adhesive Velcro tape on the down tube, Makes it a one handed operation.
The pictures show how it works, and stores.

-Snuts-
That looks like a pretty good solution, thanks.
Old 04-04-17, 09:38 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool. Thanks for the insight.
Did you get a 1" threaded headset from Batavus, or is it a 1 1/8" one? Are you still using the headset?
1" threaded. Don't recall where I sourced it from, might have been ebay. I didn't realize it was a Batavus branded product until this thread. IIRC, it's actually a Shimano product, something like "HPX-10".

I'm not still using it, since it wasn't effective at what it was supposed to do, wasn't a very smooth headset, and was ugly and clunky, I swapped it out for a regular headset. A ~$30 headset was far smoother than the Batavus/Shimano locking one.
Old 12-10-18, 10:20 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

https://shop.tout-terrain.de/bicycle...ergo-stop-plus
Old 12-10-18, 10:29 AM
Deaner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is just what I was looking for. Currently I put on a really strong spring, but this would be better.
I suppose however I will have to get out the brazing torch to add the stops onto my headtube as this seem to be a proprietary design.
Old 12-10-18, 10:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
My wife carries a hair scrunchie on her bike. When she parks, she doubles it up and slips it over her brake lever, engaging the brake. The bike does not move, and does not fall. Problem solved. I do the same thing now, except I use a fat rubber band. I saw what the wife was doing, and I said to her, "Honey, get me a rubber band, and make it snappy!"
Another very clean way to accomplish the same thing - use a brake cable quick-release, but ride with it "off" and put it "on" to park. For years I had a QR hanger on the seat on for cantilever brakes. On was for parking. I simply slipped the bridle off to pull the wheel. Another place where many bikes have brake QRs is in the brake lever. If you have both that and the QR at the caliper, you can use the caliper one as your parking brake.

Ben
Old 12-11-18, 10:33 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 675 Posts
HBS Headset 1 1/8 Inch With Headset Lock - Black

The only problem I might see is that it is "semi-integreated" so maybe not a full ahead stem.
Old 04-08-19, 03:49 PM
Deaner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
HBS Headset 1 1/8 Inch With Headset Lock - Black

The only problem I might see is that it is "semi-integreated" so maybe not a full ahead stem.
Looks like it might be for 1 1/8" threaded but its hard to tell. If the
Next time I am Europe way I will give them a call.
Old 04-08-19, 11:57 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
STEERSTOPPER will hold the front end completely straight and comes with an adjustable elastic to place over the handlebar and around the brake handle.
Old 04-09-19, 10:05 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 338 Posts
Did anyone mention Velo Orange's wheel stablilzer?

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...eel-stabilizer

Or the venerable Rhode Gear "Flickstand"?

GearInches.com » flickstand

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153432289276
Old 04-12-19, 10:48 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Review of an option
Cane Creek ViscoSet Review - BIKEPACKING.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.