Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

To buy or not to buy, that is the question... 70's Peugeot in pretty good shape!

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

To buy or not to buy, that is the question... 70's Peugeot in pretty good shape!

Old 07-01-20, 11:32 PM
Nick68620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someone obviously loved her and raced her on multiple occasions, what do you guys think, is she worth buying and giving a little TLC? I've never owned a Peugeot before, what are the pos/negs?

Anyone got an estimate on what she might be worth? She is very good shape with the exception of some surface rust and deep pant scratches... But hey, that's what I call personality as old as this bike is...

Sorry I'm a new member and am not allowed to post pics yet
Old 07-02-20, 12:21 AM
Alsobay

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
Welcome!! Let's get you to ten. Answer this reply amd we'll volley back and forth til you get to ten
it goes quickly.
Likes For Alsobay:
Old 07-02-20, 12:37 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 65 Posts
Does it fit?
Likes For Millstone:
Old 07-02-20, 12:40 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Absolutely buy it. But try to get the guy to come down to $900.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 07-02-20, 12:57 AM
Millstone

Can you link us to some pictures? Most here love/like the old peugeots.
Likes For Millstone:
Old 07-02-20, 01:21 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey

Originally Posted by Alsobay
Welcome!! Let's get you to ten. Answer this reply amd we'll volley back and forth til you get to ten
it goes quickly.
Hello!
Old 07-02-20, 01:22 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey

Originally Posted by Millstone
Does it fit?
yes, it actually fits really well considering I'm short.
Old 07-02-20, 01:23 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Originally Posted by Millstone
Can you link us to some pictures? Most here love/like the old peugeots.
this forum does not allow me to share links or pics until 10 posts... Hopefully these responses count
Old 07-02-20, 01:24 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Absolutely buy it. But try to get the guy to come down to $900.
Is this sarcasm?
Old 07-02-20, 02:02 AM
Millstone

Possibly. Most likely.

Posting your whereabouts makes it easier for members to advise on parts, prices, options, etc. So that is something you might do (put them in your general info so it's getting displayed in the fora).
Likes For Millstone:
Old 07-02-20, 03:59 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved to Appraisals.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-02-20, 04:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Pic Assist. Appears to be a UO-8, or similar, offered for $129.99.

Old 07-02-20, 04:08 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
They felt like dead steel compared to the PX-10E...Seek out one of those...
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 07-02-20, 04:46 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Lots of people love the ride of the entry-level Peugeots of that era. I think that model was called the AO-8. The UO-8 was upgraded with quick-release wheels; the bike in the pictures has wingnuts.

I'd go to that thrift store to look at the bike in person. In particular, I'd check whether the rims and frame are damaged. The frame and fork look as though there's a chance that they might be bent; impossible to tell from those pictures.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-02-20, 06:42 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
I was going to suggest you offer $100.00 but since "it was raced on occasion", make that $75.00
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-02-20, 07:26 AM
Millstone

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I'd go to that thrift store to look at the bike in person. In particular, I'd check whether the rims and frame are damaged. The frame and fork look as though there's a chance that they might be bent; impossible to tell from those pictures.
Yes. Might be the angle though.

If it still has the original steel wheels, it'll be heavy.
Without them also, but hey...

If the bike "works", no play in the spindle, everything lubed and all so it's easy to take apart... Perhaps. I dont know the prices of bikes in your neighborhood.
I find 125 for this model quite steep, personally. Unless it's in perfect order then maybe.

Good luck!

edit: I think I can see a bulge on the frame, might be the angle or might be from a collision.
Likes For Millstone:
Old 07-02-20, 11:25 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
It's an entry level, and not close to a racing bike and was doubtful raced. It comes with a lot of steel components as opposed to alloy which makes a bike with an already heavy frame even heavier. That being said, low end peugeots are still quality frames and people like the ride, myself included. They look cool and are nice to have for upgrading and/or customizing. These low end models work as great commuters and sometimes touring bikes if built up correctly. Just don't be fooled by the name or aesthetics of the bike, it's nothing special in the vintage world, but a cool bike nonetheless. Only buy if you're ok accepting all of the above. Also keep in mind these bikes are a dime a dozen on craiglist and offerup, oftentimes models a little higher up in the totem pole as well.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 07-02-20, 06:49 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick68620
Is this sarcasm?
Yes.

There may be an old Peugeot out there that's worth that much, but I was mostly making a joke about trying to value a bike we had no info on; and especially no pics. (at the time)

I'm kind of a l sometimes.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 07-03-20, 11:45 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Yes.

There may be an old Peugeot out there that's worth that much, but I was mostly making a joke about trying to value a bike we had no info on; and especially no pics. (at the time)

I'm kind of a l sometimes.
Still navigating the restrictions of being a new user... It's really hard to engage in this forum without private messages and limited posts/responses
Old 07-03-20, 11:52 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you to all have responded!

I have opted out of buying this Peugeot due to your feedback and feel perfectly fine about it.

Without you guys I might have bought it and regretted it or not bought and always wondered if I should have... I already have a newer road bike, but still miss my old vintage schwinn (that was super heavy) and was thinking this one could have taker her place, but with all your help I feel I have made the right decision.

Thanks again,

Nick
Old 07-03-20, 11:55 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Lots of people love the ride of the entry-level Peugeots of that era. I think that model was called the AO-8. The UO-8 was upgraded with quick-release wheels; the bike in the pictures has wingnuts.

Sorry about the pics they weren't meant to be shown off and analyzed, I checked things in person... I was just showing a buddy what I was looking at.
Old 07-03-20, 11:58 AM
Nick68620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
It's an entry level, and not close to a racing bike and was doubtful raced. It comes with a lot of steel components as opposed to alloy which makes a bike with an already heavy frame even heavier. That being said, low end peugeots are still quality frames and people like the ride, myself included. They look cool and are nice to have for upgrading and/or customizing. These low end models work as great commuters and sometimes touring bikes if built up correctly. Just don't be fooled by the name or aesthetics of the bike, it's nothing special in the vintage world, but a cool bike nonetheless. Only buy if you're ok accepting all of the above. Also keep in mind these bikes are a dime a dozen on craiglist and offerup, oftentimes models a little higher up in the totem pole as well.
The only reason I thought it might have been raced was the numbered stickers on the frame, there were a couple of them.
Old 07-03-20, 02:00 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
By all means try and make the guy an offer, any amount you get off the price is more money you can put into it down the road.
Personally I think the U08 was a great bike, they weren't top of the line or even anywhere close to it but they rode fantastic.
The market is all over the place lately with the older Peugeot bikes, I just sold a similar year U08 in a 25" frame in orange for $400
here, but I had completely stripped the bike down and gave it a proper clean and rebuild.

I'm working on a 23" model right now that's already sold.
Keep in mind that these bikes are pushing 40 to 45 years of age and they don't make them anymore, so that too plays into its value and collectability.
Likes For vintagebicycle:
Old 07-04-20, 06:49 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick68620
I have opted out of buying this Peugeot due to your feedback and feel perfectly fine about it.

Without you guys I might have bought it and regretted it or not bought and always wondered if I should have...

Thanks again,

Nick
Good move. The downsides are 27" tires, steel rims, cottered steel crank set, fragile plastic deraileurs and shifters, threaded axles, hi-ten frame, typically uncomfortable cheap vinyl covered saddle, steel handlebars.... It was a very basic entry-level bike. Nobody raced it, except kids around their neighborhood. Your best value in vintage bikes are mid-level+ Japanese bike from the late 1970s thru mid 1980s. Motobecanes (French) can also be found at bargain prices if you keep your eyes open. There is a big difference in the ride quality of lower versus higher level bikes. The mid-level+ Japanese bikes and Motobecanes are also much more reliable and less problematic.
Old 07-04-20, 08:10 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Good move. The downsides are 27" tires, steel rims, cottered steel crank set, fragile plastic deraileurs and shifters, threaded axles, hi-ten frame, typically uncomfortable cheap vinyl covered saddle, steel handlebars.... It was a very basic entry-level bike. Nobody raced it, except kids around their neighborhood. Your best value in vintage bikes are mid-level+ Japanese bike from the late 1970s thru mid 1980s. Motobecanes (French) can also be found at bargain prices if you keep your eyes open. There is a big difference in the ride quality of lower versus higher level bikes. The mid-level+ Japanese bikes and Motobecanes are also much more reliable and less problematic.
Agreed on all points....

.....the upside is that if restored, it will be a sturdy, relatively rare (rare in that it is restored) vintage bike that will last another 40 years....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-rehabbed.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.