Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any experience with modern Tarptent tents?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any experience with modern Tarptent tents?

Old 10-21-20, 05:28 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Before obesity had a 1p Tarptent, while obese a 2p scout tent, then a 18' dia, teepee so I could stand up, run around and have company while bikepack touring. Thous were good times. Alas 7 years of ill health thinking my days were numbered but bounced back. I wouldn't mind a lightweight roomy Tarptent.
Old 10-21-20, 11:11 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hoaglund
Before obesity had a 1p Tarptent, while obese a 2p scout tent, then a 18' dia, teepee so I could stand up, run around and have company while bikepack touring. Thous were good times. Alas 7 years of ill health thinking my days were numbered but bounced back. I wouldn't mind a lightweight roomy Tarptent.
Good for you for bouncing back!

I wholey recommmend the Stratospire 2: Immense space for one and loads of gear - and plenty room to sit up with room to spare. And still more than plenty enough room for 2. In fact, by loosening the inner tent, you get room for three narrow sleeping pads. It has two exits/entrances and two vestibules. I chose a tent with enough inner height to get on my leg liner and prosthetic foot while in the tent (I need to put the stump in the prosthetic leg by putting weight on it).

If you want a stronger innertent floor and don't mind the extra weight, a two person Hilleberg also affords a lot of room (their two person tents are actually two person with gear as well), but choose one with two entrances and plenty of height. I think those two tents/makers come closest when it comes to the airy feeling of a tipi, but both have other advantages over a tipi.
Old 10-22-20, 02:58 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Thank you CargoDane and the Stratospire 2 Tarptent ... 2-3p 54oz with 2-poles and 4-season possible is worth considering. I was thinking if we do have warm season biting insects Tarptent mesh would be nice or when I need to socially distance.

As for the 18' teepee we'd lay our heads near the circumference & feet toward the single pole middle which slept quiet a few people with head & foot room to walk inside outside while the kids had fun & was bicycle cargo trailer towed.

And for our needs a nightlight plugged into a USB battery connection with a 1W warm white LED dimmer light similar to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113812914871
Old 10-22-20, 03:19 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Sounds cozy!
Old 10-22-20, 03:26 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Thank you CargoDane and the Stratospire 2 Tarptent ... 2-3p 54oz with 2-poles and 4-season possible is worth considering. I was thinking if we do have warm season biting insects Tarptent mesh would be nice or when I need to socially distance.

As for the 18' teepee we'd lay our heads near the circumference & feet toward the single pole middle which slept quiet a few people with head & foot room to walk inside outside while the kids had fun & was bicycle cargo trailer towed.

And for our needs a nightlight plugged into a USB battery connection with a 1W warm white LED dimmer light similar to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113812914871
I forgot:

I considered the Duomid XL before the tarptent because I also like pyramid tents. One of the reasons that made me not get it in it the end was that he only makes them to order, taking even longer to be delivered to Europe in these Covid times.
I'm very, very happy with my Tarptent choice, though.

The tarptent I have (Stratospire 2), I ordered with the "Solid" inner tent (rather than full mesh) mostly because I wanted it to have less condensation during colder weather, but also to be able to stop wind-borne dust and sand (and cold).

Duomid XL:
https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/duomid-xl/
Old 10-22-20, 06:51 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Say CargoDane hows that solid interior during hot humid Summer times?

We had 5” of wet snow and 10s-30s F so I'm also considering a Winter tipi hot tent & sew in a clear vinyl window so I can watch the -30F cold Canadian temps that visit my neighborhood.

Years ago during a Summer weekend I sewed a 8 foot square Cowboy Range Teepee which is a pyramid tent design. The camo fabric was flawed so my solution: clear & tinted vinyl windows which I didn't get around too. But did sew a tested 2 foot square vinyl fabric window tied to 2”x2”s screwed to the fence for daily annual weather checks. Passed with flying colors.
Old 10-22-20, 09:30 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Say CargoDane hows that solid interior during hot humid Summer times?
I haven't really had this tent for so long due to long covid delivery times. However, I have had Hilleberg tents for decades, and never used a full-mesh inner for those. They are mostly "solid" ripstop nylon inside as well - only open with mesh at the top.
I suspect this particular tarptent to perform very well in the heat as there are plenty of openings and effective ventilation, and if it's really hot, you can open both sides. In fact, both sides can open way more than any of the hillebergs I've owned.

We had 5” of wet snow and 10s-30s F so I'm also considering a Winter tipi hot tent & sew in a clear vinyl window so I can watch the -30F cold Canadian temps that visit my neighborhood.
Tipis/pyramids are so great for such things! Definitely go for it if you can carry the weight and the stove etc.

Years ago during a Summer weekend I sewed a 8 foot square Cowboy Range Teepee which is a pyramid tent design. The camo fabric was flawed so my solution: clear & tinted vinyl windows which I didn't get around too. But did sew a tested 2 foot square vinyl fabric window tied to 2”x2”s screwed to the fence for daily annual weather checks. Passed with flying colors.
Yeah, I don't believe in windows in tents. It's more prone to leaks and cracks (especially in the cold), it will quickly need replacement due to UV damage, and it really isn't necessary. Get a light coloured interior instead (I prefer a yellow innertent on gloomy days, but the white in the tarptent "solid" is really good).

Also, get a good camp lantern. I bought a Nitecore LR12 early this year which I had been eyeing for a very long time which also functions as a torch. It is glorious for tent use. It is also flicker free (it uses a "constant voltage" circuit for dimming (i.e. any other setting than the 1000 lumen max), so it is really, really nice to use dimmed down). It's settings are 1 lumen, 60 lumens, 230 lumens, 1000 lumens, and 1000 lumens "beacon". When my daughter is with me, and we play games etc., I mostly use the 60 lumens setting to have a whole-tent illumination. When alone, I mostly use the 1 lumen. Battery life for the various setting and a 3500 mah battery is 1= 900h, 60=24h, 230=6h, and for the 1000lm, it supposedly throttles down after around an hour due to heat produced. In the cold, that would be longer, and in the heat sooner.

Some people don't notice flickers from dimmed LEDs, others do. I get what I call "sight disturbances" (directly translated from my Danish), and it's a bear when it happens. With a flicker-free design, I can completely avoid that.
Old 10-22-20, 05:08 PM
Mark Hoaglund

CargoDane I didn't notice any discoloration, cracking or leaks in my 2010-2019 clear vinyl teepee windows or 2003-2008 Walmart outdoor 24x7 test sample. I do remember 1950s-60s water & land vehicles having those problems.
Old 10-22-20, 05:56 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Okay, then. Have at it
Old 10-22-20, 07:01 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Haven't decided on a 2p hot tent maybe OneTigris 4.2lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VFZTRV4 but the 25oz Cub U-Turn Ultralight Tent Stove & Stovepipe https://seekoutside.com/titanium-wood-stoves/ is appealing or 32oz medium or 35oz large version with 6' of 9oz stovepipe.
Old 10-24-20, 04:27 PM
Mark Hoaglund

I was leaning towards a 1-2p OneTigris 2.6lb tepee hot tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PR4HMKN plus a 2-3lb Tarptent, 2lb ultralight wood stove & pipe and 2lb waterproof tarp for around 9-10lb. Thinking this would comfortably get me bye annually bikepack touring in my neck of the woods. With perhaps some rain water or snow melt for washing & warmth for staying dry during the cooler 3-seasons.

But the OneTigris 4.2lb tent, 2lb stove system and 2lb waterproof tarp maybe a nice 4-season getaway too.

Along with Mother Natures weather conditions permitting sweet bliss around the tiny sheltered nook.
Old 11-02-20, 01:47 PM
Mark Hoaglund

During snowy inclement weather this hot tent tipis video review is enticing:

Onetigris Smokey Hut And Iron Wall Snow Storm 2 Nights

Tiny sheltered mobile abodes provide pleasurable conditions for interaction in cozy sentimental surroundings to care for, share with & bless one another contentedly while open mindlessly relaxed in comfort and peaceful harmony gathered within the natural world.
Old 11-02-20, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Get back to us when you actually buy something that's relevant to this thread.

P.S. Your schtick is neither creative nor amusing.
Old 11-03-20, 05:03 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
I've been using a Double Rainbow as my solo tent for a couple of years. It's light enough and I like the extra room. In some places I kind of hesitate to put boots in the vestibules because goats, marmots etc. but they are very roomy.

My tent is on the left in this pic. On the right is a TarpTent Stratospire? 1 person tent, spacious for a single and very large vestibule area. It uses 2 hiking poles but TarpTent sells poles which can substitute for them. Great tents, neither one of us has had any issues.

Old 11-04-20, 11:53 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Tarptent Notch and also the two poles Tarptent sells for that tent. Bought 2019.

Tent, sack, and stakes weigh 28.30oz, the two poles weigh 7.85 for total of 36.15oz. The material feels substantially sturdier than silnylon used in similar priced tents from bigger companies (e.g., Big Agnes, etc.). Another commenter above mentioned 30d vs 10d or 15d silnylon - there is a difference. I preferred the sturdier, but slightly heavier, 30d silnylon from Tarptent.

Tent does well in high wind - very stable. I used it last summer for ride across Iowa, and this summer for trip in Colorado. Like you, I also use a hammock. For the Iowa trip I carried both tent and hammock + tarp for flexibility. All, except poles, plus inflatable pad and a few other small items items fit inside a 15l dry bag that I hung on my handlebars. Poles fit inside my frame bag. Attached is image showing bike with dry bag between handlebar drops.

I nice feature is the separate bug net which can be removed or used alone. The tent is big enough for me and has two vestibules. It was adequate for nightly storage. If I planned to use only the tent forgo the hammock, I would likely buy a two-person version for a bit more floor space. However, for the when taking both tent and hammock, like I did in Iowa, the Notch is a good size.

Old 11-05-20, 10:27 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for the input from all those that use Tarptent tents. Good to hear some real-world experience. That is exactly what I was after when I started the thread.

Going back to my original post - quote below:

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
It looks like with one of those I could get down to the 3-4lb range. That would be a welcome weight/bulk reduction from my current tent, but if it means sacrificing too much sturdyness I'd still be inclined to carry the more robust tent I have. My next trek I won't have a choice, but maybe next year that can be different.
After my trip I have to say, given the environment/weather/duration - I am not sure I can justify another tent for the kind of trip I took. All but 2 nights I used the tent - my Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 - due to a couple things:
1. My back didn't handle the hammock well, I found, after all the riding. The arch (and the hammock I have has a toe box that allows a diagonal lay = flatter than inline with the ridgeline) position in the hammock wasn't too good for my back muscles. I will say, though, with the loaded rig I was using my arms and back a lot more to "shove" the front end around to steer and balance so my back talking to me when I was trying to sleep wasn't surprising. However, laying flat on the ground (relatively speaking - I pitched in some compromised locations) was a lot easier on my back.

2. It was a wet and cool trip. The tent offered a lot better protection getting out of the elements. That also opened up the use of the hammock tarp (just the tarp) to a garage for the bike and cook shelter.

Looking at how much time I spent in the tent - it was wonderful to have the space I had for myself and gear inside. However, it would have been nice to have more head room so I could stand up more. Being cooped up in the tent for hours waiting out rain can be tough without stretching out.

For more specific details (and a picture slide show at the end) of the gear I had on the trip etc see my video below. I posted another thread specific to it - but it directly applies to the talk here on the shelter options. The timestamp for that section is: 18min 15sec - Shelter Options.

Looking at warmer, better weather trips - I could see a smaller/lighter tent option. The specific type of trip I was on, though - the tent I had was a darn good tent, even with its weight. I was real glad I had it.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 11-05-20 at 10:32 PM.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 11-06-20, 08:54 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Space is always great in a tent. I remember buying a bivvy sack to try it out (as I used a coastal rowboat at the time and slept on the beaches). Right after that I ordered a Golite Hex pyramid tent, huge sand pegs, and shortly after that a large (for one person) Hilleberg.
With the Stratospire 2, I have a huge amount of space (even when I'm with my daughter) and it still weighs less than any of my smaller Hilleberg tents.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-08-20, 02:24 PM
silos

Bikes: S2C Hub

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
If you're willing to spend some $$$ you could try one from this place:

I've got one of their older 'Cloudburst' models, bought about 15 years ago, and its held up well when I was doing a lot of backpacking/peakbagging. I used it in some windy environments (maybe 20-30 mph winds), some snowy conditions (not full-on blizzards), and its held up well. Single wall sil-nylon fabric (silicone coated nylon), aluminum poles, bathrtub foors. Only issue is the fabric is waterproof, so don't leave the tent fully closed at night or you'll wake up in a damp environment the next morning.
Interesting. Thank you!
Old 11-10-20, 09:41 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
31oz. Protrail Tarptent with poles & no need for ground cloth sounds good.

For some positive thoughts about:

Shug's Ol' Henry Shires Contrail TarpTent
In the Antipodes, the Protrail gets some negative press for being great in summer but too cool for the other seasons.
A shame as it can pack very small and was very interesting to bike packers in this neck of the woods.
It seems anecdotally that the Double Rainbow gets over all the best press by trail walkers and bike packers hereabouts when it comes to discussing Tarptent products.
I was initially keen on the Protrail as a potential upgrade to my Macpac Microlite but hearing the word "drafty" bandied about put me off.
Old 11-10-20, 09:54 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by rifraf
In the Antipodes, the Protrail gets some negative press for being great in summer but too cool for the other seasons.
A shame as it can pack very small and was very interesting to bike packers in this neck of the woods.
It seems anecdotally that the Double Rainbow gets over all the best press by trail walkers and bike packers hereabouts when it comes to discussing Tarptent products.
I was initially keen on the Protrail as a potential upgrade to my Macpac Microlite but hearing the word "drafty" bandied about put me off.
Can't you get a "solid" inner tent for that as with the other Tarptents? My tarptent (stratospire 2) has a solid interior (it's solid up to about shoulder height or armpit height, and mesh for the rest. That way, I can have the outer set a little higher, not hae draft on my person while still removing moisture from the interior, because the air is funneled up between the two.
Old 11-10-20, 10:00 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am well aware that running a stove under a vestibule can be a hazard and I would never do that with a liquid fuel stove that can flare up, but sometimes you want to stay in the tent in the morning for that chore instead of outside in the rain. It had rained for two days before i set up my tent at the site below, I used a newspaper to create a barrier between the mud and my stuff. I was sitting inside the tent when I took the photo, you can see the gold colored tent pole in the middle of my door that unfortunately kept getting in the way. Occasionally I have considered cutting two poles for an A frame for the front, but so far it is a low priority.

Thats a LOT of space in that vestibule. I agree - the pole where it is makes that tough to work around.

I looked at cooking in one of the vestibules (dual entry/dual vestibule - one on each side - 2 person tent) on my last trek and I just don't have the room. The vestibules don't stick out away from the tent far enough for my liking. I took the chance and cooked inside instead. I know you're not supposed to do that, but I was careful. And yes - a liquid fuel stove would be really risky, especially during the lighting pre-heat.
Old 11-10-20, 10:06 PM
rifraf

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Can't you get a "solid" inner tent for that as with the other Tarptents? My tarptent (stratospire 2) has a solid interior (it's solid up to about shoulder height or armpit height, and mesh for the rest. That way, I can have the outer set a little higher, not hae draft on my person while still removing moisture from the interior, because the air is funneled up between the two.
I've heard reviews of people I know personally who've both ditched the Protrail complaining it didnt suit colder conditions of New Zealand or Tasmania.
This was enough for me to choose to stick with the two tents I own being a Macpac Microlite and a Macpac Minaret, neither unfortunately packing as small or as light as the Tarptent products.
Both warm in winter though and extremely robust in poor weather conditions.
Another tent at the time I'd been interested in was made by Zpacks
https://zpacks.com/products/duplex-tent being very light and made of cuban fibre.
It was ditched by another person whose views I take seriously and thus was then forever off the possibility list.
Memory doesn't serve today as to the reason for his ditching of the Duplex but he quickly replaced it with a Double Rainbow by Tarptent so that's still a potential "down the track" possibility.

Last edited by rifraf; 11-10-20 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 10:10 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I've heard reviews of people I know personally who've both ditched the Protrail complaining it didnt suit colder conditions of New Zealand or Tasmania.
This was enough for me to choose to stick with the two tents I own being a Macpac Microlite and a Macpac Minaret, neither unfortunately packing as small or as light as the Tarptent products.
Both warm in winter though and extremely robust in poor weather conditions.
Hence me asking about considering a "solid" inner as they call it. A full-mesh inner will by its very nature be a lot more drafty - something you don't want in winter/fall/early spring.

There's a reason Hilleberg's tent don't usually come with full mesh inners, and that you can only buy them as an add-on (not instead of). A mesh inner for winter tenting is not good - you might as well not use the inner at all at that point.
Old 11-10-20, 10:25 PM
rifraf

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Hence me asking about considering a "solid" inner as they call it. A full-mesh inner will by its very nature be a lot more drafty - something you don't want in winter/fall/early spring.

There's a reason Hilleberg's tent don't usually come with full mesh inners, and that you can only buy them as an add-on (not instead of). A mesh inner for winter tenting is not good - you might as well not use the inner at all at that point.
I just looked on their site under accessories and didnt spot any alternative inners.
Pretty sure if all it needed was an available upgraded inner, they may have kept it, being an easy fix
Old 11-10-20, 10:29 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I just looked on their site under accessories and didnt spot any alternative inners.
Pretty sure if all it needed was an available upgraded inner, they may have kept it, being an easy fix
I just looked too. No such thing for the Protrail or Protrail Li.
Anyway, look for a tent with such a thing. It's great to have that kind of inner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.