Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire manufacturer's question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire manufacturer's question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 03:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Yup! I am just curious as to what other brands guys are riding with confidence. I am merely looking up each tire as a prospect for the future. Whether it is a claim of any aspect of a good tire, I'm just checking them all out, and price.
Well for me personally, I really liked the Vittoria Open Corsa. They felt just like the tubulars I used to race on, and were much more confident in cornering compared to every other clincher tire I've tried, which are listed below. I don't run them now because they're expensive and I'm not racing or taking corners as aggressively as I used to, but all this talk makes me want to pop the extra $$$ for them again.
Old 05-26-21, 09:11 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Yup! I am just curious as to what other brands guys are riding with confidence. I am merely looking up each tire as a prospect for the future. Whether it is a claim of any aspect of a good tire, I'm just checking them all out, and price.
I'm currently riding Michelin Power Road, their "mid" line road tire. So far I like them a lot. Easy rolling, good handling, and no flats through 2,000 miles. They feel a lot like the Conti GP 4000s tires I used to ride, but are no longer available.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-26-21, 09:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My favorite race tire: Vittoria Corsa G+. With latex tubes, they're as supple as the best tubulars I've run. Like heaven.

My favorite training tire: Michelin Pro4 Endurance. I think they call it Power Endurance now. Great compromise between suppleness and toughness. Training tires you can race on. Or race tires you can train on. If you were just going to have a single wheelset and don't like changing tires, then this works.

My favorite commuting tire: Schwalbe Marathon. Bombproof and have a reflective stripe, which is nice. Also heavy and dead feeling, but hey, it's for riding to work.

Last edited by caloso; 05-26-21 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-26-21, 04:08 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The confusion was with the OP's first question, asking about the best MANUFACTURERS. Now it has morphed into a question of which tire is FASTER.
FTFY
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-26-21, 04:12 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Challenge and Pirelli.

I absolutely fell in love with the Challenge " Strada Bianca's" tires. 30mil "open tubular" tire and I run them with latex tubes. Wow, road feel is crazy good, longevity good, sticky, puncture resistance good. The only down-side is they are quite the 'challenge' to get mounted the first time.

I took a chance on the Pirelli P-Zero's and I must say, they ride really well, are really sticky and really tough. Broken glass doesn't phase them.
Old 05-26-21, 06:42 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
going by number sold, Kenda wins hands down

gm
Old 05-26-21, 06:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
the dodge neon was a big seller, but that didn't make it the "best" vehicle dodge offered.
Old 05-26-21, 07:00 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
the dodge neon was a big seller, but that didn't make it the "best" vehicle dodge offered.
New to sarcasm?
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-26-21, 07:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
New to sarcasm?
i was going to ref the Viper, but didn't want to shorten anyone's wick.
Old 05-30-21, 07:49 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
I found the Michelins extremely difficult to mount.
Vittoria good tire, perhaps not as durable.

For me, Continental 4000, now the 5000 are a great mix of fast, comfortable, easy to mount and durable. But, kind of expensive. I look for sales in the fall, then stretch them over old rims so they're ready for spring.

I'm a recreational rider, not a time trialist, so I'd give up a 1% increase in rolling resistance in favor of durability.