Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Rims Please

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-31-21, 06:37 PM
BikeMike27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for a deep 700 diameter rear wheel with a deep rim and can't seem to find one anywhere. I have Ultra Sport III tires and they refused to go on any kind of shallow rim whatsoever. My old rims were 10mm deep and I could get the Ultra Sports on without tire levers or any trouble. Does anyone have any suggestions for what rim I might find a deep rim?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-21, 08:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Why not try some different tires?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-31-21, 08:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'll hazard a guess that your old rims were single-walled, and whatever you have now are double-walled. Conti Ultra Sports can work on double-walled rims, it just takes more finesse. Use thin rim tape to make it a little easier.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-01-21, 01:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Conti Ultra Sport tires are notoriously tight and difficult to mount without a bead jack. A couple of years ago I got a Kool Stop bead jack just for mounting the Ultra Sport 2 tires. It's possible to mount them with a plastic tire lever but there's a risk of nicking the tube. Been there, done that, cussed a lot.

After getting the bead jack I had no problems mounting the US2 in 700x23 and x25 on two different bikes with old school narrow, low profile rims and more recent aero rims.

While the Ultra Sports were very good values -- durable, grippy, reasonably puncture resistant -- I finally switched to Continental GP Classics and Soma Supple Vitesse, both of which I can mount without a bead jack. I still use the Conti Ultra Sport 2 tires on the indoor trainer, and occasionally on outdoor rides, although I try to remember to pack the bead jack in case of a puncture.

However a general guideline for most tire/rim fit is, with cloth rim tape which tends to be thick, use a rim tape just wide enough to cover the spoke holes, but not so wide that it comes up the inner sides of the rims. If the cloth rim tape covers the entire inside of the rim's U-shaped trough, it'll cause difficulty mounting with some tire beads. Often there will be one part of the tire that refuses to seat without a bulge or hop.

With thin rim tape or strips -- cheap rubber band strips, Schwalbe or similar stiffer flexible plastic strips, tubeless tape or even Gorilla tape -- it's less critical if the rim strip or tape covers part of the inner sides of the rim.
Old 08-01-21, 11:15 AM
BikeMike27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks! I'll check that out. Or maybe look for single walled rims. I loved the old rims I had. I could get the tires on without tire levers.
Old 08-01-21, 11:17 AM
BikeMike27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks! Yeah, I might just switch tires; these things are a complete bear on every rim I've tried except for the ones I had. And thank you for the advice. I'll try the tape and/or bead jack and then consider getting different tires next time.
Old 08-01-21, 11:38 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
If you decide to carry a bead jack, you can cut the handle off to fit in a saddle bag. I hate these new shallow TL ready rims for the same reason.
Old 08-01-21, 12:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
If you are looking for easy to mount rims (you are asking for rims, not wheels, right?)

Then you need to look for classic style rims. Avoid the "Tubeless Ready" rims.

I copied this from Velocity a while ago:

The tubeless ready rims look similar, but are notoriously hard to mount. Nonetheless, you have to make sure you push the bead into the center channel.

Also consider your rim tape. While I used to like the Velox cloth tape, but I've moved to various types of plastic rim tape which tends to be thinner and slicker.