Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

We have dog threads, sewing machine thread, how about a watch thread.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

We have dog threads, sewing machine thread, how about a watch thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 10:44 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

Just got this in the mail… 1940s Mido multifort. Looks like the hands were replaced at one point
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 08-03-21, 02:19 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
Are the current Seiko diver's watches made in Japan? Whats the best source for one? I'm leery of Amazon. Thanks
Old 08-05-21, 08:59 PM
theofam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
This is a fun thread! Thanks to everyone for the pics. styggno1, you have introduced me to many watches I didn’t know about, my favorite of which are the piepans. Each of your watches appears well curated, as the condition of the vintage pieces is exceptional!

As a newbie here, once I get to 10 posts, I’ll get pics of my babies uploaded.
Likes For theofam:
Old 08-05-21, 09:48 PM
iowa mark

Bikes: GT,Trek,Fuji,and a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Lots of great watches! I was trained as a watchmaker by Uncle Sam back in the early 70's. Yes, the US Navy had watch and clock repair. I was the guy that got to explain to all those guys that bought Rolex's in Hong Kong that all 64 jewels were glued to the back cover. Quite a deal that any $2.00 Walmart electric keeps better time that a $1000.00 watch from the 60"s does. Of course along with watch repair I also was trained in typewriter repair.
Likes For iowa mark:
Old 08-06-21, 04:55 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Are the current Seiko diver's watches made in Japan? Whats the best source for one? I'm leery of Amazon. Thanks
Long Island Watch is a respected online dealer for Seiko and other brands (and I have personal experience).
https://longislandwatch.com/seiko-watches
I've also used Jomashop
https://www.jomashop.com/seiko.html
Old 08-06-21, 02:59 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
beach beater.
Likes For Bogester:
Old 08-13-21, 08:58 PM
theofam

I finally hit my 10-post minimum to upload pics. Here's one. A 16613 Submariner.

Likes For theofam:
Old 08-13-21, 09:09 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
This has been my daily wear for the last year and a half or so. The battery on my Seiko died during the Covid lockdown and the local watch shop was shuttered so I started wearing it and have continued wearing it.

Last edited by rjhammett; 08-14-21 at 08:11 PM.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 08-14-21, 10:21 AM
theofam

Since 2001, my daily has been an IWC Der Fliegerchronograph. It's the one, more than others, that I catch myself stealing glimpses of.

Post refurb with some remaining rash on the bracelet above the 1.

It was my first nice watch. As such, it has held sentimental value. This value was heightened when it saved my wrist bone from being ground to meal June 3, 2020, when I totaled a motorcycle. It sustained considerable damage, which required a trip to IWC for a refurb.

Post-accident road rash on bracelet, bezel and crystal. The lume has been dislodged from the hands. It ran for three hours after the accident and gave up the ghost.

I love this watch. If I ever get down to one, this'll be it.
Likes For theofam:
Old 08-14-21, 11:06 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
I believe it is # 51 now.

A "limited edition" (when it comes to Omega ltd is a loosely used term - this watch was made in 1975 examples) Speedmaster with a part that has actually been into space - even if it did not do a controled landing on earth. The "Speedyorite" with a dial made of meteorite. Priced crazy when new they sell for even crazier today. I got mine sort of "cheap" at a normal speedmaster price (ten years ago). The seller was just not interested in it and we made a trade.

Old 08-14-21, 03:52 PM
Warbird21

With my Garmin 530, I have no need for a watch when I ride, but my old trusty Seiko 7n36 on rubber goes on every ride.

Likes For Warbird21:
Old 08-15-21, 08:39 AM
theofam

styggno1 - another beauty! I don't know if you are in to motorcycles, too, but there is a fun group of WISs over at advrider.com in the Shiny Things section you might enjoy.
Likes For theofam:
Old 08-17-21, 07:37 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by theofam
styggno1 - another beauty! I don't know if you are in to motorcycles, too, but there is a fun group of WISs over at advrider.com in the Shiny Things section you might enjoy.
Thank you! I used to be into motorcycles but it was before the internet(!)...

Here is # 52

The 80ies watch everybody loves to hate or hates to love. For a long time I scorned them but one day this piece surfaced and its brutal exterior but still sort of warm and discrete dial grew on me. And this happened when they were at their lowest point. We are talking a couple of hundred US. It has box and papers and today I believe 1500-1800 US would be a fair guess.

Last edited by styggno1; 08-17-21 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-17-21, 08:02 AM
theofam

Originally Posted by styggno1
Thank you! I used to be into motorcycles but it was before the internet(!)...

Here is # 52

The 80ies watch everybody loves to hate or hates to love. For a long time I scorned them but one day this piece surfaced and its brutal exterior but still sort of warm and discrete dial grew on me. And this happened when they were at their lowest point. We are talking a couple of hundred US. It has box and papers and today I believe 1500-1800 US would be a fair guess.

That's fantastic! Is the main watch quartz, too? Looks more like a 7750 movement, though. What's up with the surrogate/spawn watch? I can't determine if it's supposed to be a GMT function (the minutes don't jibe with the main watch). Or, is one hand GMT and the other a compass given the cardinal directions on the dial?
Old 08-17-21, 08:49 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

That's fantastic! Is the main watch quartz, too? Looks more like a 7750 movement, though. What's up with the surrogate/spawn watch? I can't determine if it's supposed to be a GMT function (the minutes don't jibe with the main watch). Or, is one hand GMT and the other a compass given the cardinal directions on the dial?
Thanks! The main watch is an auto 7750 and the little quartz UTC (coordinated universal time) is normally used as a GMT/other time zone but at the time I took this photograph its battery was dead - making it a bit confusing ;-)
The watch is from 1988-89.
Old 08-17-21, 08:57 AM
theofam

styggno1 - ah, that makes sense now!

Thanks for taking the time to post your watches. You have curated an excellent collection. You obviously spend a fair amount of time (re)searching. Care to share where you generally find your pieces? Chrono24? Watchuseek?

Bring on #53!
Old 08-17-21, 12:11 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

styggno1 - ah, that makes sense now!

Thanks for taking the time to post your watches. You have curated an excellent collection. You obviously spend a fair amount of time (re)searching. Care to share where you generally find your pieces? Chrono24? Watchuseek?

Bring on #53!
Funny you use the term curated. My collection has been an organic growth of meandering interest in design, history and, I dare to say, a friendship with an old watchmaker. I have had no plan at all. I have bought what I found attractive, historically or design wise interesting. And as always - "condition, condition, condition".

I started many years ago and/but I have not bought anything for years now. After I bought my first vintage watch I checked out Stockholm for a good watchmaker to have it serviced. Found this old guy that had worked all his life as a watchmaker and had a large stash of original parts for all the famous brands + all the unknown... We hit it off and soon I got to check his inventory. Suddenly I found and could buy watches that I knew he had unique parts for. Almosts all my watches has been bought at local non watch sell sites and/or auctions (i e not from other collectors). I have always wanted to be the one that has "found" the watch if you understand what I mean.

One good example of my luck in knowing the watchmaker is that he happened to have spare parts for the Lemania "Viggen". It is watch that were issued to Swedish fighter pilots in the 70ies. There were originally about 400 watches bought by the Swedish Air Force and they are numbered. I do not own one at the moment but I have had my fair share of them. A beautiful watch with provenance and the unique bezel is often missing. He had some.

Likes For styggno1:
Old 08-17-21, 06:25 PM
Warbird21

One of the watch blogs that I am subscribed did a story on the Lemania Viggen a few months ago (Fratello?) a fascinating piece!

Originally Posted by styggno1
Funny you use the term curated. My collection has been an organic growth of meandering interest in design, history and, I dare to say, a friendship with an old watchmaker. I have had no plan at all. I have bought what I found attractive, historically or design wise interesting. And as always - "condition, condition, condition".

I started many years ago and/but I have not bought anything for years now. After I bought my first vintage watch I checked out Stockholm for a good watchmaker to have it serviced. Found this old guy that had worked all his life as a watchmaker and had a large stash of original parts for all the famous brands + all the unknown... We hit it off and soon I got to check his inventory. Suddenly I found and could buy watches that I knew he had unique parts for. Almosts all my watches has been bought at local non watch sell sites and/or auctions (i e not from other collectors). I have always wanted to be the one that has "found" the watch if you understand what I mean.

One good example of my luck in knowing the watchmaker is that he happened to have spare parts for the Lemania "Viggen". It is watch that were issued to Swedish fighter pilots in the 70ies. There were originally about 400 watches bought by the Swedish Air Force and they are numbered. I do not own one at the moment but I have had my fair share of them. A beautiful watch with provenance and the unique bezel is often missing. He had some.

Old 08-17-21, 06:55 PM
theofam

Here’s my third watch posted. . . only 50 behind styggno1.

It’s my first, and last, homage. Frankly, I can’t shell out $12-14K for a Rolex GMT Master (II). So, I thought I’d get a GMT that looked like one. Bad idea. It’s a fine watch, but, bad idea, because it just makes me want the Rolex even more. If a GMT makes its way on my wrist, my more realistic target is an Omega Seamaster Great White.

Likes For theofam:
Old 08-17-21, 08:14 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 09-02-21, 06:28 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

1962 Seamaster ref 14763 with a curtain dial
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 09-02-21, 06:34 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

1960 Constellation ref 14393
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 09-02-21, 06:37 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

1952 Seamaster ref 2757-2
Old 09-02-21, 06:43 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

And one more for now, something a little different. I don't really get too excited by electronic watches but these are such fun. This one is a factory original as near as I can tell, it runs and kids love to hear it hum.

1969 Bulova Spaceview
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 09-03-21, 10:37 PM
theofam

ahsposo - oooohweee, those are some great vintage watches! My vote goes to the curtain-dialed Seamaster.

I inherited my maternal grandfather’s Movado Tempo-Matic Subsea when he passed. It was a gift from my grandmother. I believe it was mid- to late-50s. I rarely wear a suit, but if I do, I’ll bring Gramps along with me.

Likes For theofam:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.