Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Toe Strap Etiquette(regarding color)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Toe Strap Etiquette(regarding color)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 07:41 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Way off topic but: a Colnago replica with over the BB cable guides and braze-on FD mount? Did that ever happen?
if you are asking if Colnago ever produced a bike with this configuration, I have no idea.
I do see the appeal of avoiding any clamp-on brackets or components... less issue with scratches and paint damage.

for what it's worth, here's the other side of that bike. The toe strap on the right pedal is installed correctly (although I still disagree with the practice of tucking in the end of the strap).

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-03-21, 09:16 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 1,738 Times in 959 Posts
Way off topic but: a Colnago replica with over the BB cable guides and braze-on FD mount? Did that ever happen?
Here is what I think is an '83 Super, that is going to be for sale at the local Nonprofit LBS very soon, over the top guides and clamp derailleur. '84 would be the best bet imo to have that configuration of braze ons.

Yellow straps were very popular as well, also was a regular color for pantograph details.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-03-21, 10:09 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
What's the beef with red? (I've only had one red pair, but they were Bindas and Bindas are good in any color (and the worst colored Binda strap is far better than 99% of what's out there). (Says he who pulls up hard on straps and makes even the very best "consumables". Eventually the buckle teeth dig grooves in the leather and they start slipping. Bindas went a full season in my big miles racing days. Christophes and Zephals 3 months now. I wouldn't even put them on my bike back then. I've never gotten cloth or plastic straps to not slip from the get-go.)
No beef with red straps at all, have 2 bikes with them. A white framed one with a red Schwinn headbadge, and a black framed Trek with red decals.
Tim
Old 08-03-21, 05:22 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
All I remember from the “special school” was that the straps have to match each other, none of that different colour for each side nonsense!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 08-03-21, 08:05 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Any colour Binda made is fine. Or Patenaude. Or Mikashima. or...

Last edited by clubman; 08-04-21 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling doh
Likes For clubman: