Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New crank arm not fitting tapered axle

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-03-21, 07:42 PM
Generald1sarray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently bought an old bike (around 2009 specialized tricross) online. It needed a new crank shaft, I got the setup from a local shop however it doesn’t seem like it fits in properly. I thought the gap was normal until the crank arm almost wobbled off during a ride this weekend. Any idea how to fix this? The local shop has a three week wait time to get in
The site won’t allow me to upload any pictures but it’s out quite a bit. Maybe half an inch?
Old 08-03-21, 08:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
@Generald1sarray's Album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/543093
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/22097083

Old 08-03-21, 08:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Ok,
Do you have a photo with the crank installed, but the bolt removed?

I would probably remove the crank arm. Lightly grease the spindle, and put it back on. And, keep tightening the bolt if you can.

I think the crank should go about 3/16" further down on the spindle. Ultimately the bolt will be fairly tight. I do most of my personal work by feel rather than torque, but someone should have torque specs.

If you ride the bike with the crank arm loose, you risk hogging out the arm, and permanently ruining the crank arm.
Old 08-03-21, 08:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It's a 'bottom bracket' not a 'crank shaft'. How tight did you get that bolt? It's supposed to be very tight, old man strength tight.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-03-21, 08:43 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
It's supposed to be very tight, old man strength tight.
LOL, I don't think I've ever torqued a crank on a square taper BB.

Definitely looks like that arm should be further on the spindle. Don't ride it like that.
Old 08-04-21, 03:38 AM
th0m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Does the spindle have the correct taper for the crank arms? I'm thinking the new BB might be ISO taper and the arms JIS or vice versa?
Old 08-04-21, 06:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Do you have a photo with the crank installed, but the bolt removed?
+1 this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crank-arm-seat.jpg (79.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-04-21, 06:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
The possible ISO/JIS mismatch was my first guess.

Looking at the pictures, though, I think some grease and a torque wrench might be the answer. There's always been some back-and-forth over greasing the taper of a BB, but that crank looks like it needs some help. So grease the taper, grease the crank bolt, tighten it to the torque spec (50 Nm is flashing in my head, but better to look it up than rely on a possibly faulty memory). That sequence should seat the crank on the bottom bracket, and with adequate torque, it's unlikely to go anywhere.
Old 08-04-21, 08:35 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ok,
I would probably remove the crank arm. Lightly grease the spindle, and put it back on. And, keep tightening the bolt if you can.
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think some grease and a torque wrench might be the answer. There's always been some back-and-forth over greasing the taper of a BB, but that crank looks like it needs some help.
Don't do this, ever. A square taper is a friction fit, grease is an anti-friction lubricant and does not belong on a square taper.
I would bet money that it isn't tight enough. Skip the whole torque spec on a crank and just tighten it. When I tighten I start with the drive side, I use an 8mm allen socket in a 16" long ratchet and use the wheel as my leverage. I tighten till it really just doesn't want to tighten more, then I use the drive side pedal as the leverage for the non-drive crank arm. Again till I can't tighten more. Then go ride. I've never seen a crank bolt break so don't worry about that. But it really is one of those tighten like crazy spots since you want it to never come loose.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 08-04-21, 09:32 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Having information from a torque wrench is good if you (like the OP) don't know what you're doing, though. 30 ft-lbs is 30 ft-lbs.

We have no idea what he'll get from telling him "Just tighten it like a man!"
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-04-21, 10:18 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
EXCELLENT diagram !!!!

Thank you for posting JDT !!!

much appreciated !!!
Old 08-04-21, 03:31 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Don't do this, ever. A square taper is a friction fit, grease is an anti-friction lubricant and does not belong on a square taper.
I would bet money that it isn't tight enough. Skip the whole torque spec on a crank and just tighten it. When I tighten I start with the drive side, I use an 8mm allen socket in a 16" long ratchet and use the wheel as my leverage. I tighten till it really just doesn't want to tighten more, then I use the drive side pedal as the leverage for the non-drive crank arm. Again till I can't tighten more. Then go ride. I've never seen a crank bolt break so don't worry about that. But it really is one of those tighten like crazy spots since you want it to never come loose.
Wrong. A thin layer of grease on the flats will not hurt anything. I have been doing this for over 25 years problem free. Everything on a bike (fastener wise) is a friction fit and you grease all of them. Not greasing square taper cranks/axles is nothing more than a myth. Since everyone loves a little Sheldon:"The claim that a greased spindle will enlarge the bore of a crank and ultimately reduce chainwheel clearance is also specious, because the crank cannot operate in a plastic stress level that would soon split the crank in use. However, increased engagement depth (hole enlargement) may occur without lubricant, because installation friction could ream the hole.

With or without lubricant, in use, cranks will make metal-to-metal contact with the spindle, causing fretting erosion of the steel spindle for all but the lightest riders. Lubricating the spindle for assembly assures a predictable press fit for a given torque. Without lubrication, the press is unknown, and galling (aluminum transfer to the steel spindle) may occur during assembly. After substantial use, spindle facets may show rouge and erosion from aluminum oxide from the crank, showing that lubricant was displaced."
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-04-21, 04:01 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 375 Posts
As far as greasing the tapers and torque, Campagnolo recommends putting grease on the taper and 28 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 08-04-21, 06:56 PM
Generald1sarray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the tips everyone! Turns out you were all right, just needed to tighten the bolt. I wasn’t sure if I could over tighten the bolt or not.
Likes For Generald1sarray:
Old 08-04-21, 10:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Generald1sarray
Thanks for the tips everyone! Turns out you were all right, just needed to tighten the bolt. I wasn’t sure if I could over tighten the bolt or not.
Thank you for letting us know that the problem was resolved.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: