Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cycle specific raincoat v generic decent rain shell?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-03-17, 08:36 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Does anyone here use a generic shell as a raincoat, instead of a cycling specific one, for touring? I'm looking to replace my cycling jacket, which works well at keeping out rain but not breathing. I really don't mind getting wet when it is warm, so really it only gets used below 70ish.

As it is only a colder weather thing, I was looking at a more generic rain shell that I can layer clothing under, and that can be used off the bike. Are there any drawbacks that I haven't thought about to using a shell over a cycle specific jacket? Thus far, I have:

- Harder to find in "visible" colors than cycle specific jackets (shells seem to come in drab, natural color)
- Not as form fitting, catches wind easier than a cycle specific
- Doesn't pack down as easy, not as great to carry "in case" in areas where rain isn't exected

Just curious what the real value in going with something like a Showers Pass over a standard HH/Marmot/Patagonia/North Face/etc. is.

This is for a trip where I can reasonably expect rain/wind every day with temps in the 50s, not strictly carried "in case"
Old 04-03-17, 08:44 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 188 Posts
Just make sure it's long enough in the back so as to cover your lower back side when leaning out to your handlebars so that area doesn't get wet or doesn't drip down onto your derriere. But you gave some pretty good reasons above for a cycling specific jacket and btw, even if the jacket says it's Gore Tex/breathable, you'll often perspire enough anyway that it can't breath "quick enough" and you can still end up damp underneath.
Old 04-03-17, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I have a Showers Pass 2.0 that I can layer under and use off the bike, such as when I walk to work in the rain.
Old 04-03-17, 09:13 AM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
... Thus far, I have:

- Harder to find in "visible" colors than cycle specific jackets (shells seem to come in drab, natural color)
- Doesn't pack down as easy, not as great to carry "in case" in areas where rain isn't exected
..."
- Visible colors are more difficult, but not very hard. Esp with Euro brands that like loud colors .
- Many technical jackets are just as form fitting as a cycle jacket. Climbers, mountaineers, backpackers are looking for the same minimalist aesthetic.
- Re: packing -- I think you'd be surprised. Again, rock climbers, minimalist back packers etc are looking for tiny packed size and minimal weight. Just as much as any cyclist I've met.

Where cycling-specific jackets win out in in my experience is:
- Cut for cycling: longer back and arms. Keeps you from getting wet when bent over or stretched out.
- Reflective bits on the jacket
- Venting: Cycling jackets are more likely to have a back vent than technical jackets. But technical jackets are more likely to have pit zips so it may be a wash.
- Pockets: Having a rear pocket is limited to cycling only jackets in my experience. This is handy vs front pockets when on a bike. Other shells all assume you may be wearing a backpack so forgo rear pockets.

I have an Patagonia Alpine Houdini I often use for days when it isn't going to rain non-stop, but on/off/windy. Its a 2.5 layer waterproof/breathable, cut pretty long but slim. Weighs 7oz and packs into its own pocket. And like many patagonia products has arms cut long enough for an orangutan.

But if I know its going to rain a lot, I'll opt for Gore-Tex Pro shell w/ pit zips for fuller protection.

Last edited by jmeb; 04-03-17 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 09:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
I do not use a bike specific jacket for touring because for touring I want a jacket that I will also want to use in the campground, meaning pockets in front instead of one in back and also a hood. I do not want a giant hood to go over a helmet, I use a rain cover on my helmet.

I originally got a Marmot Precip in high vis bright yellow. I got it replaced under warranty, the coating delaminated around the collar area and at that time when they replaced it the brightest color I could get was red so that is what I now have. Soon after they came out with some more high vis colors, but I was not going to buy a new full price jacket to just get a different color. Touring if it is raining, I am running LED flashers in back, they are more effective than jacket color. Thus I considered the high vis color a medium high priority, well below the ultra high priority of a good LED flasher or two. (The switch on one of my two flashers corroded in Iceland and died on me, fortunately I always carry two but that is off topic.)

I measured my Precip at 390 grams, my bike specific rain jacket with only one tiny back pocket at 325 grams. The penalty of 65 grams is not worth worrying about in my opinion.

My bike specific jacket has a large non-adjustable vent in back, the Precip has pit zips. I prefer the adjustable pit zips.

What is most important to me is the ability to zip it up or use velcro to get a reasonably tight seal around my neck to reduce water ingress at that point when the rain is hard. Both jackets are good.

Bottom line, I use the Precip for bike touring. For rainy days near home, I use the bike jacket.
Old 04-03-17, 09:46 AM
jefnvk

Thanks for the replies thus far!

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I originally got a Marmot Precip in high vis bright yellow.
Good to hear, the Precip was actually one of the jackets I was looking at. REI Garage has it marked down considerably right now, and it comes in a bright orange. I was planning on stopping by the local REI to look at what their other coats with that fabric looked like/fit this evening.

I've got nothing against the cycle specific jackets, there are just so many decent generic shells that are the technical (as far as water/wind proofing tech) equivalent at cheaper prices, I was curious if there was a good reason why they wouldn't work. The pockets for camp/general use was one I hadn't considered, though, I do find my cycle jacket's lack of anything but a back pocket annoying.
Old 04-03-17, 09:53 AM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn about the difference between a "2 layer" and "3 layer" waterproof-breathable membrane.

Regardless of whether you choose cycling jacket or more traditional hiking rain jacket, the added comfort and durability of a 3-layer fabric is worth the cost, IMHO. (Marmot precip is less durable 2 layer.)
Old 04-03-17, 10:18 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Last summer in Scotland where it rained every day for the first 2 weeks of my trip, I wore a Marmot Precip jacket. I was very happy with it's performance and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-03-17, 10:36 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
Jeff,

The Precip is a good jacket. I had three of them. The first one the liner started delaminating, the second the stitching in one of the pockets was screwed up, and the third was good for 5 years. Luckily I bought the first one at REI! I have a Patagonia now for everyday wear (Oregon Winters), but it is a little on the spendy side. But, sometimes you get what you pay for. It is just personal preference, but I prefer rain jackets without hoods for cycling. If you go with a hoodless jacket you might consider a helmet cove (J & G makes a good one) Rainpants are also a good investment.

I still wear my 14-year old Novara rain jacket for my around town riding. I used it 8 years for commuting. It has faded a little, and won't shed all day rains, but it still did better than our Showers Pass jackets.

You might check out the Novara Stratos on clearance at REI now. I have a Showers Pass Elite, and the Novara Stratos, and the REI jacket is as good or even better in some ways that the Showers Pass at a third the price. It has some nice features, like a drop down back, good fit, good vents, and good closures at the waist and cuffs.

I've also used one of Shower Pass's less expensive jacket, snd was not satisfied with it at all. The fit was not good, there was no way to snug sleeves or waist up to keep out cold air, and the breathable layer started delaminating in about 3 years. They offered me 20% off my next Showers Pass product purchase, which isn't going to happen. The same thing happened to my wife's Showers Pass Tourist Model, only it took about 5 years for her jacket's inner layer to delaminate.

https://www.rei.com/product/883098/n...ke-jacket-mens

I also agree with Skimaxpower about 3-layer fabrics. They are more durable, but they are more bulky, and more expensive.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-03-17 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 10:57 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Does anyone here use a generic shell as a raincoat, instead of a cycling specific one, for touring? I'm looking to replace my cycling jacket, which works well at keeping out rain but not breathing. I really don't mind getting wet when it is warm, so really it only gets used below 70ish.

As it is only a colder weather thing, I was looking at a more generic rain shell that I can layer clothing under, and that can be used off the bike. Are there any drawbacks that I haven't thought about to using a shell over a cycle specific jacket? Thus far, I have:

Just curious what the real value in going with something like a Showers Pass over a standard HH/Marmot/Patagonia/North Face/etc. is.

This is for a trip where I can reasonably expect rain/wind every day with temps in the 50s, not strictly carried "in case"
A brand I've grown to like a lot is Rab, out of England. Their alpine gear is cut similarly to a cycling jacket, longer cuffs and ass coverage. Ice climbers need this because they need coverage even as they are reaching and extending. Like anything of the sort, you can find deals. Sierra Trading Post often has Rab gear at low prices. Also, if you live in a larger city it's worthwhile to see whether you have an outdoor gear group in Facebook. I got an excellent condition Rab Latok Alpine Jacket (a $400 jacket) for $50. Some people just have to upgrade to the newest, so scavenging can work to your benefit. You can fine a lot of reds (what mine is) and bright blues. Not many neon green.
Old 04-03-17, 10:57 AM
jefnvk

I've got rain pants already, the classic O2 rainwear model. I'm far more tolerant of wet legs than wet torso (and far more tolerant of sweaty legs than sweaty torso), on the pants I just wanted something lightweight for when it really got bad/cold. I've also got a Sugoi helmet cover, to replace sharing a shower cap between my seat and my helmet

I have looked at the Stratos, it looked like a nice coat. If the fiancee decides she isn't using the regular 20% off coupon (I really need to get my own card...), as she has decided with the Garage coupon, that may be an option.

As far as 2/3-layer, I'm still back and forth, but leaning 3, part of the reason I haven't completely decided on the Precip.
Old 04-03-17, 11:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Good to hear, the Precip was actually one of the jackets I was looking at. REI Garage has it marked down considerably right now, and it comes in a bright orange. I was planning on stopping by the local REI to look at what their other coats with that fabric looked like/fit this evening.
With the extra 20 percent off, that would be a great value cycling jacket.

I do not use the precip for backpacking or canoe trips or around town wear, instead I use jackets that have a better lining and more insulation value. But that lack of a lining is where I think the Precip really shines for cycle touring. Since you are exerting yourself, you need one that will allow you to stay cool. And the jacket does not feel too warm when I wear it, most other rain jackets that have a lining would feel too warm for me for cycling.

I think the Precip with a few light layers under it would be great for Iceland. I wore my Precip for a few days for almost the entire day. For example the day I took this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3086.jpg (94.9 KB, 198 views)
Old 04-03-17, 11:30 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by gerryl
Last summer in Scotland where it rained every day for the first 2 weeks of my trip, I wore a Marmot Precip jacket. I was very happy with it's performance and would recommend it to anyone.
Originally Posted by Doug64
The Precip is a good jacket.
I think the Precip with a few light layers under it would be great for Iceland. I wore my Precip for a few days for almost the entire day. For example the day I took this photo.
Since you all have used them, how did you guys find them actually holding up to the rain? Looking at various store and gear reviews, there seems to be a real love-hate relationship with the coat, some saying you'll be wet within 15 minutes and others finding to be the best thing ever invented.

Ideally, it'd be layered over a merino wool long sleeve shirt that I have, or my long sleeve cycling jersey, for actual riding. Coats are the one thing I am indecisive over on any vacation more than anything else, whatever my rain shell turns out to be will likely be accompanied by my cycling softshell (which can take care of light rain amply enough, meaning the other coat has to actually perform the role of a heavy rain coat), and a small compressible down layer (for sitting around in the evening) if the weather around departure is calling for considerable time in the 40s-50s.
Old 04-03-17, 12:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

I started thinking about the times when I had to ride in heavy traffic and I did not like the dark red color of my Precip, and with that 20 percent coupon that orange one is roughly 45 percent off. So, I just ordered the orange one even though I already have a dark red one.

If I did not like it, I would not have ordered another.

That said, you will get damp when you are cycling in the rain, either from rain or from sweat. I commented above about the pit zips for ventilation. I think that dampness that I have felt is virtually all just sweat, not water coming in through the fabric. I can't think of any time when I was exerting myself in the rain in a rain jacket and felt completely dry.

Cycle touring when there is a chance that the weather could get down to freezing, but it might also be warm enough that I want short sleeve jersey, my list for upper body outerwere will also include:
- A Canari brand wind breaker that I can zip the sleeves off and use as a vest, high vis color, very breathable.
- A Serfas brand long sleeve jersey that is thicker than most jerseys, thus it has some insulating value and it has a full length zipper so I wear it as a jacket over my jersey.
- An orange polartec vest, not a cycling one but normal outdoor wear type vest, Eddie Bauer.
- Yellow down vest.
- And the Precip.

I am careful to try to layer my outerwear so I am just right for the temperature and wind. The above mix of layers works perfect for me and I do not get unduly wet.

That said, if it starts really pouring, I will pull off the road and might put the hood over my head. The seal around the neck is not good enough to keep me totally dry with the hood down in a pouring rain. But only my kayaking drysuit or my waterproof kayaking jacket have that good of a neck seal. None of my other rain jackets are that good.

I usually strap my rain jacket on top of one FrontRoller pannier and my rain pants and overshoes on top of the other Frontroller pannier. That way it is close at hand when I want it, I do not need to dig into a pannier.

Can I tell you if you will get damp or not? No. But I like the jacket.
Old 04-03-17, 01:00 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I bought a ski jacket outer shell on sale.
It is waterproof and warm.
The hood is large enough for a bike helmet.
There is a Velcro thing that covers your mouth area and at the hand area to keep you warm
There are ventilation zippers under the arm pits.
Lots of pockets and zippers.
It's black but I carry a light mesh high viz contruction vest for wearing over the top.
I've carried light weight rain jackets before and have froze my ass off in moutainous areas at night. This thing is way better. I experience severe rain storms on the Plains with high wind so I get pretty cold and wet but only for short periods.
Mine was less than half price when I bought it one May a few years ago.
Old 04-03-17, 01:36 PM
jefnvk

Can I tell you if you will get damp or not? No. But I like the jacket.
Fair enough! I wonder if I am just being unrealistic with my old coat (Canari Deluge), then again while it keeps the rain off it also doesn't have vents.

Apparently REI does stock Precips by me, just not in that color, so I can go put my mind to ease after work. Even if it doesn't appreciably breathe better than my old coat, for the money having vents and the ability to leave the coat on it is probably worth it.
Old 04-03-17, 01:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
For the past two winters, I've worn an Arcteryx Atom LT jacket. It is not windproof or waterproof, but it keeps me warm and dry. I don't think I'll be wearing a rain jacket again because this jacket is so fantastic. Like wool, it stays warm when wet. It's hard to describe. It absorbs water but it doesn't get uncomfortable. As I type this, I wonder how anyone can believe me, but it's true.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-17, 01:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
I have the previously mentioned REI Stratos jacket. It seems well made, lots of features and the drop tail can be secured so it looks like a normal jacket. It's proven to be a little warm for my normal riding, but I'd be happy to have it if I was stuck out in bad weather for an extended time. Fits true to size.
Old 04-03-17, 01:45 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
I used my Precip for light backpacking, except for long trips or extreme weather. It was mostly relegated to around town wear. If you get a Precip, check everything over really well: pockets, zipper, and stitching. I also had a Marmot sleeping bag that came with a big rip where the sewing machine actually cut the stitch line. It was hard to get a replacement from them. Unfortunately, I did not buy it from REI. I don't think it is as good as the Novara rain jacket for cycling.

My jacket is a Precip., one of the few times I used it for more than just around town wear. Actually this is the jacket that had its pocket sewn closed! It was new that weekend, and was replaced the day before for the one that was delaminating at REI on the way to the trailhead. I got this one replaced on the way home. I'm not impressed with Marmot quality control.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-03-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 03:02 PM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
For the past two winters, I've worn an Arcteryx Atom LT jacket. It is not windproof or waterproof, but it keeps me warm and dry. I don't think I'll be wearing a rain jacket again because this jacket is so fantastic. Like wool, it stays warm when wet. It's hard to describe. It absorbs water but it doesn't get uncomfortable. As I type this, I wonder how anyone can believe me, but it's true.
The Atom LT is a great jacket and part of a new wave of insulating layers (atom lt, ORs Uberlayer, Patagonias Nano air, etc etc) that breathe as well as fleece, but are more wind and water resistance. IMHO the Patagonia Nano Air is even better from an insulating and breathability prospective, but trades off a bit of water resistance to the Nano Air. They are awesome in snow and light precip.

But none of are suitable as a true waterproof shell. They rely on DWR for their water-resistance and will wet out after time in sustained or heavy rain.
Old 04-03-17, 03:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Right. Nothing is perfect. But in sustained heavy rain, I'm going to get soaked, whether I wear something breathable, non-breathable, or nothing at all. The question is not how to stay dry, it's how to stay comfortable while wet.

It's a really strange jacket. It's not very warm. What do I mean by that? If I layer up with the jacket on top and then go out in really cold weather, I don't feel warm. I feel cool. I'm warm enough not to panic and worry but not as warm as a traditional coat. This is a tradeoff worth making, because I can cycle vigorously without overheating. It is comfortable in a wide range of temperatures.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-17, 07:43 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
I have been backpacking since about 2002 and have never been soaked wearing raingear. Damp?..yes. Soaked?...never.
Old 04-03-17, 08:41 PM
jefnvk

Thanks all for the advice. I stopped and checked out the Precips, they just aren't different enough (from a visual inspection) to what I have now to justify buying. They didn't have any Stratos in my size (or that even zipped over my belly....), I have to check another location on Wednesday, but I'll agree with Doug that the difference in quality is very noticeable from the smalls they had in stock. Also, the hi-viz greens are now on clearance too, they weren't a few weeks ago when I first notice the coats. For what would end up being a $25 difference I'd rather go that direction, but I need to try them on, in my experience REI cuts arms way long for my body. Long sleeve shirts and jerseys are one thing to just bunch up around the arm, a stiff coat arm may be another.

That said, the cute redhead assisting me, who just came back from her own Iceland adventure, also may have set my mind on a three layer, nice shell

Originally Posted by noglider
Right. Nothing is perfect. But in sustained heavy rain, I'm going to get soaked, whether I wear something breathable, non-breathable, or nothing at all. The question is not how to stay dry, it's how to stay comfortable while wet.
I agree in general in the summer. Above 70 or so, I really don't mind the rain, and eschew any raincoats. About the only part of my body I don't like wet in any temps is my feet. Just can't apply the same logic to camping in backcountry away from any amenities as I would on a day ride around home, though.
Old 04-03-17, 08:43 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Damp?..yes. Soaked?...never.
Yeah, that's where I am at. The raincoat I have will keep me dry from the sky, but I make myself damp. Hoping to find a way around that, but after listening here and to some folks at REI, I may be asking too much out of a coat.

Also, @Doug64 - I always love the pics, they add to any thread!
Old 04-03-17, 09:25 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Can anyone speak for the packability of the Novara Stratos?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.