Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking setup - what worked for you?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-08-17, 06:11 AM
smilyanp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not sure if this is the best place to post, but I want to use a bikepacking setup for touring. What have people used and works for them - bags, weight, equipment, any recommendations?

I am looking at the AlpKit bags at the moment as I have the seatbag already, but I am not convinced they are the most practical for longer trips, however I don't have any experience with the setup, so might be wrong. I've been looking at this list and there seem to be so many manufacturers: https://www.cyclingabout.com/complete...manufacturers/

One thing is I like to have lots of little pockets and space at the front as I keep taking cameras, food, hats/gloves out and putting them bag in all the time. Also I would like to have everything waterproof as those are the kinds of places I seem to prefer cycling in.

What bags have you used and how do you find this type of setup for longer trips?

Thanks
Old 05-08-17, 07:31 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I used this setup in Cape Cod, with Revelate Designs harness and frame bag.

Similar setup on a different bike for a trip in California in last December.

All bikepacking setup, all Revelate Designs, in the very windy Florida Keys.

The rack and panniers allow you to carry a lot more gear, so you need to figure out how much you need to carry.
Old 05-08-17, 08:36 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
All bikepacking setup, all Revelate Designs, in the very windy Florida Keys.

How do you find the sway/tail-wag with larger seat packs like that... say for stand-up pedaling (climbing, rough roads, single track)? Do you think an equivalent size/weight bag mounted on top of a rear rack (like the dark green stuff sack in your other pictures) would be more stable?
Old 05-08-17, 10:27 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
How do you find the sway/tail-wag with larger seat packs like that... say for stand-up pedaling (climbing, rough roads, single track)? Do you think an equivalent size/weight bag mounted on top of a rear rack (like the dark green stuff sack in your other pictures) would be more stable?
The seat bag is compressed from the sides and the rear, so very little movement side to side. Less movement than the Ortleib panniers, if that helps. The tent on the rack probably moves less or not at all, so if any movement needs to be eliminated, a light load strapped securely to a rack is probably best.
Old 05-08-17, 10:40 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Here's my set up. I consider it "bikepacking" as there are no racks. My saddlebag has a capacity of
23 liters, which is larger that the new bikepacking seat bags so I don't need frame bags or backpacks.
I used it to cross the US.

https://wheelsofchance.wordpress.com.../25/gear-list/
Old 05-08-17, 01:48 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
The seat bag is compressed from the sides and the rear, so very little movement side to side. Less movement than the Ortleib panniers, if that helps. The tent on the rack probably moves less or not at all, so if any movement needs to be eliminated, a light load strapped securely to a rack is probably best.
Thanks. I having been leaning toward using a ~25L/15lbs-ish drybag/backpack strapped to the top rack over a set of smaller rear panniers (30L total) which would carry the weight lower. I guess I really like the idea of a comfortable backpack-able option for off-bike security, poor roads, and single track capability. I have a frame bag that would carry the heavy stuff (water, lock, tools, hydrated food), which can be left on bike without theft worry, and of course, which is also best suited from a CoG/weight distribution perspective.
Old 05-08-17, 04:08 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
How you set-up your ride all depends on how you like to ride, or how you like to live in between your "rides". It's all about weight, just like a Ms. Universe pageant. Ride light and you can ride fast, but the stops are less plush... unless you hotel hop. Ride heavy and you ride slow, but can enjoy more toys and conveniences along the road. I like my conveniences. Portable shower, solar oven, hammock, tent, and bivy, several cameras and necessary electronics to accompany them. I try and make sure that everything I carry has multiple purposes too. Before committing any money decide how you want to ride/live. Once I arrive at a location I want to explore I set up camp, strip the bike down, drop the trailer, and do day rides to see what's what.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RidingLarge.jpg (98.8 KB, 45 views)
DSC01282 (2).jpg (98.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by BBassett; 05-14-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 10:00 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Here's my set up. I consider it "bikepacking" as there are no racks. My saddlebag has a capacity of
23 liters, which is larger that the new bikepacking seat bags so I don't need frame bags or backpacks.
I used it to cross the US.

https://wheelsofchance.wordpress.com.../25/gear-list/
Good web site; I enjoyed reading it.
Old 05-09-17, 05:50 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
My bikepacking setup is my Salsa Mukluk fatbike. Setup with a mix of Porcelain Rocket saddle bag, Bike Bag Dude custom frame bag and Revelate gear off the handlebars. My gear list which includes a list of the bags etc can be found here

Holland Track Day 2: Salsa Mukluk at Granite Rock Outcrop on Flickr
Old 05-10-17, 12:02 AM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Salsa Vaya with Salsa/Revelate fullsize framebag, seatbag, and two fork mount Blackburn made Anything cages.

When I'm touring, I substitute Anything Cages with front rack and two panniers. Also pack the seatbag smaller.
Old 05-10-17, 09:38 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Basket is very useful. Rear bag is Carradice Camper Longflap. Framebag is custom fit by Rogue Panda.

https://www.roguepanda.com/

Ordering from Rogue Panda is easy - send image of bike with a measure across top bar or seat tube, and he determines measurements from that photo (and guarantees the fit).

If needed, I also use couple of small panniers on front.

bike4.jpg

Last edited by bwgride; 05-10-17 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 12:49 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I have switched my front end to a bike-packing set up: Revelate harness/bag + Anything cages on the forks + Ortleib accessory pack. I like it because I pop that stuff off, and it feels like I have my normal bike back. I could have/should have done that with my front rack, but it just always stayed on the bike, just in case. Came in handy once or twice, but when not touring, it's usually in the way.

But I have kept my rear rack. It's the most versatile way to carry gear around town, and it's the best way to carry a load on longer trips, unless I'm trying extra hard to pack light. Currently the front of the bike, except the accessory pack, is used mostly for sleep: tent, quilts, tarp. The frame bag is for cooking and repair: stove, fuel, pump, sometimes extra water. The rear rack is clothing in one Front-Roller pannier and food in a cooler on the other side. The top of the rack catches extra junk, and that's what I need to weed out. Also most of my trips are out to hang out at a campground for a few days and then back home. On a trip with more riding, and less sitting in camp, the cooler wouldn't be necessary (or could at least be smaller), the "extra junk" would be less, and I might not need as many clothes, either. At that point, it might make sense to look at ditching the rack in favor of a seat bag, but I still wouldn't do it unless it became necessary, which it will. In a couple of weeks, I'll be packing up my bike in an S & S case and taking a trip. I found the rack does not quite fit in the case, so I'll be moving my clothes to a Revelate Terrapin bag.

It's doable, and it may be preferable to go to a bikepacking set up if you have the want/need. I find racks easier to use and more versatile, but if you can keep your gear to a certain capacity, you'll be fine.

A frontroller/backroller combo is about 65 liters of space. I estimate with two Anything cages, a front roll, accessory pack, frame bag, and seatpost bag, I'm at about 50 liters. I think there are lots of people who would do fine with that amount of space, and many who use much less.
Attached Images
IMG_20170508_090243.jpg (79.4 KB, 100 views)
Old 05-10-17, 04:45 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I've been using the following for my Trek 7.3 touring setup.

Arkel Dry lites on the rear
Ortlieb Frame Pack
Ortlieb Handle-Bar Pack & Accessory Pack
A pair of Revelate Designs Mountain Feed Bags
Revelate Designs Mag-Tank
Revelate Designs Jerry Can
A pair of Salsa Anything Cage HD's

So far, I've been tickled with the ability to carry just about all you can want honestly.

- Cpt. Bob
Attached Images
IMG_3240.jpg (96.4 KB, 88 views)