Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

27.5/650 Touring tires?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

27.5/650 Touring tires?

Old 05-12-17, 10:37 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
27.5/650 Touring tires?

So, I've had a third party join my Iceland adventure (thread about how to manage group dynamics sure to follow).

The gent has a 650b/27.5" bike. We are heading through mostly rocky backroads/two track style roads, with good paved shoulders a half day on both ends of the trip, but certainly not the primary surface. The usual suspects in touring tires don't seem to be offered in this size, are there any recommendations? Looking in the 2" width range.

The rest of us are on Conti Travel Contacts, so a similar style/rolling resistance would be preferred if possible.
Old 05-12-17, 10:46 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Go to the Compass website.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
So, I've had a third party join my Iceland adventure (thread about how to manage group dynamics sure to follow).

The gent has a 650b/27.5" bike. We are heading through mostly rocky backroads/two track style roads, with good paved shoulders a half day on both ends of the trip, but certainly not the primary surface. The usual suspects in touring tires don't seem to be offered in this size, are there any recommendations? Looking in the 2" width range.

The rest of us are on Conti Travel Contacts, so a similar style/rolling resistance would be preferred if possible.
Old 05-12-17, 10:53 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by hilltowner
Go to the Compass website.
I have already sent him that link. FWIW, the other option we came up with as well was the Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus, if anyone has opinions on those.

Do those tires handle rough road well, with decent flat protection? They appear to be very supple, something I wouldn't necessarily associate with longevity on a rough road. Cool if they are, just convince me in a manner I can convince him, I get the impression that if possible $130 in tires isn't the preferred way forward!
Old 05-12-17, 11:13 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
Schwalbe Mondials. I vouch for them (the expensive ones).

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...rathon_mondial

mostly rocky backroads/two track style roads
They'd be perfect for this.
Old 05-12-17, 11:18 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by tyrion
Schwalbe Mondials. I vouch for them (the expensive ones).

They'd be perfect for this.
Ugh, looked specifically at those earlier, dunno how I missed that size being available, hate browsing the web on a phone. They were actually my other option for my own 26" before I ended up going with the Contis, based mostly on a great sale.
Old 05-12-17, 11:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
Ugh, looked specifically at those earlier, dunno how I missed that size being available, hate browsing the web on a phone. They were actually my other option for my own 26" before I ended up going with the Contis, based mostly on a great sale.
search for this "schwalbe mondial 11600785" to find the 27.5x2 version
Old 05-12-17, 11:44 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by tyrion
search for this "schwalbe mondial 11600785" to find the 27.5x2 version
Will pass it on, thanks again! Agree completely that it is by far one of the best options.
Old 05-13-17, 01:26 AM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For more dirt road duty check out the Schwalbe Smart Sam, available in 27.5. They just released a remodel for 2017 so the old version is getting blown out on some sites, I've never read anything bad about them aside from being on the heavier side. Capable of rolling fast on pavement and also gripping well on dirt/gravel.
Old 05-13-17, 05:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3418 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
I am not familiar with the roads you will be on, I was on 35 and 550. On those roads, most of the rocks did not have sharp edges and a tire with a pretty supple casing would perform well. That said, the rock is basalt, gabbro and rhyolite so the rock can be pretty hard. Mdilthey might have more pertinent information on the roads that you will be on than I have since he stayed in the low lands that should be similar to where you will be.

I carried a spare tire, but I carried a pretty light weight tire which was pretty narrow. I thought that it would be unlikely to be needed, thus the spare was not as robust as the tires on my wheels. The purpose of my spare would be to last long enough to get me out of trouble. Is he going to bring a spare 650b?

CORRECTION ADDED SEVERAL DAYS LATER, I was on 550, not 578 which I previously cited.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-16-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-13-17, 07:50 AM
IK_biker
old fart

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe Marathon Performance tires.
Some 3000 touring miles on those in 650b 44mm width in all sorts of weather (NE USA). Actually measure 42 mm on my rims.

Quite heavy, but nearly bulletproof.
Old 05-13-17, 07:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Michelin? 650B is a very French tire size..
Old 05-13-17, 08:54 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Rivendell are 650b evangelists and have some choice, but this would be good for Iceland.

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...nt=28404966157
Old 05-13-17, 09:41 AM
skimaxpower

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma Grand Randonneur EX 650b x 42 Tire

Soma Grand Randonneur 650b Heavy Duty Tire
Old 05-13-17, 10:29 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe big ben should also be considered. These roll very well on paved roads, and work well off-road and on gravel roads.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/big_ben
Old 05-13-17, 03:14 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I have already sent him that link. FWIW, the other option we came up with as well was the Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus, if anyone has opinions on those.

Do those tires handle rough road well, with decent flat protection? They appear to be very supple, something I wouldn't necessarily associate with longevity on a rough road. Cool if they are, just convince me in a manner I can convince him, I get the impression that if possible $130 in tires isn't the preferred way forward!
I'm not a long-time user of wide supple tires. Just got a pair (Grand Bois Hetres) a year ago and put them on a Soma Grand Randonneur. So far have been very pleased. I've been using 26" Schwalbe Green Guards on my touring bike but am very much thinking of switching to Compass McClure Passes. Comparing the two types of tires for wear and puncture resistance I haven't found a difference yet. One of Compass's claims is that lower pressure in their tires = fewer flats. "Thanks to their wider sections and lower pressures, Compass tires roll over debris that gets hammered into narrower tires, making them remarkably puncture-resistant." Might be true. I will admit I've learned to love low pressures and run even the Schwalbes at lower pressures now.

As far as handling on rough roads I think the Compass win hands down. If you can run low pressure on a supple sidewall you get superior performance. The Schwalbe's sidewalls are stiff. Running lower pressure doesn't have nearly the benefit that accrues with a more supple tire. On the negative side might be greater likelihood of pinch flats. One way of countering that would be to run tubeless. So far no snakebites though and I've been on some gnarly routes (D2R2 for example).

Last edited by hilltowner; 05-13-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 11:28 AM
jefnvk

Thanks again all, I'll pass on the recommendations!
Old 05-15-17, 03:27 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bwgride
Schwalbe big ben should also be considered. These roll very well on paved roads, and work well off-road and on gravel roads.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/big_ben
++++
Old 05-15-17, 09:54 PM
jefnvk

Well, all the over $100 for two tire options went as well as I could expect (realistically, can't expect any different when my and the second guy's totaled less than $70 for both), but Big Bens seem to have an interest.

I will say this exercise has made me reconsider a 650 wheelset whenever I get around to that French Porteur C&V build I have had in the queue for a while now!

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am not familiar with the roads you will be on, I was on 35 and 578.
Well then, you are extremely familiar, those are the two main options right now. Ideally were heading from Reykjavik to Akureyri (and maybe on to Myvatn) through the interior, but final planning won't take place til we get there and see what is open, we're just too close to the average opening dates to make any set plans ahead of time. I raided Wal-Mart when they clearanced out their bike section a few months ago, we all have spare folding (thick and heavy) tires. Figured a couple bucks, a few square inches, and a pound was well worth the peace of mind!
Old 05-16-17, 08:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I carried a spare tire, but I carried a pretty light weight tire which was pretty narrow. I thought that it would be unlikely to be needed, thus the spare was not as robust as the tires on my wheels. The purpose of my spare would be to last long enough to get me out of trouble.

Does Iceland have lots of internet access? Does FedEx deliver to small towns there?

(Disregard that all Icelandic cities are small towns by some measures.)
Old 05-16-17, 09:40 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Does Iceland have lots of internet access? Does FedEx deliver to small towns there?

When I was there ten years ago, internet was ubiquitous. Even in the small towns, and most of the guest houses we stayed in had wifi.

"Small towns" is correct by any measure, though. Think places where the "town" is the entirety of a gas station and a couple houses surrounding a small port, and that is a relatively big town for the place. We won't even have that luxury of a town for three days

As we'll only be there ten days, waiting for a FedEx box is not really a starting point. $5 in clearanced hefty tires, some unused space in the bottom of my tool pannier, and a pound of weight, is peace of mind of a vacation not ruined. Any tire issue not repairable would likely result in us begging a ride on a 4x4 to the nearest point a bus could pick us up to take us back to Reykjavik.
Old 05-16-17, 10:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
The British web sites have good prices on schwalbe tires. I've been thinking of going with 650b on a touring bike for a while. It will let me run a fatter tire on an older touring bike but spares are likely to be not as easy to find.

I'd certainly go with schwalbe over some of the alternatives that have been offered. This is an application where I think a heavier tire is appropriate.
Old 05-16-17, 10:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Well then, you are extremely familiar, those are the two main options right now. Ideally were heading from Reykjavik to Akureyri (and maybe on to Myvatn) through the interior, but final planning won't take place til we get there and see what is open, we're just too close to the average opening dates to make any set plans ahead of time. I raided Wal-Mart when they clearanced out their bike section a few months ago, we all have spare folding (thick and heavy) tires. Figured a couple bucks, a few square inches, and a pound was well worth the peace of mind!
I found that F35 was very cobbley and rough for the first half and later (after I passed teh road grader) it was exceptionally smooth.

I suspect that the road grader goes thru soon after they open the road. Thus, it might be rough when you go there. Lots of washboarding and loose cobbles. It got to the point that I did not bother trying to steer around anything smaller than a tennis ball. Where teh washboarding was worst, I had trouble going over about 8 km/hour, as it was just too rough.

F550 was uphill for the first half, downhill for the second. I was a bit concerned that I might have a very long day when I was still on the uphill, but after it became downhill it was pretty easy. On the other hand, F35 was a lot of up and down. I thought from the topo map (I used the Nat Geographic map) that it would be reasonably flat, but most of the up and down was between the widely spaced contours. So that was deceiving.

I did F35 in two days, I would have been happier with three days. But F550 was only one long day.

There were lots of bugs in the high area in a few spots. I met a cyclist wearing a head net. I had one but did not bother with it.

I was lucky that all the time I was in the interior, we did not have killer winds, no rain, had good sun.

I am quite content with 26 inch wheels for rough terrain biking, I have no desire to switch to the fatter 650b tires that are becoming availalbe. I use larger sized frames and all my 26 inch bikes have no toe overlap where my 700c bikes have toe overlap. I do not know if I would have toe overlap with 650b or not. When I am on difficult terrain and going slowly, I really do not want any toe overlap.

I was there for almost a month, so my schedule was much more flexible than yours will be, if I recall correctly you will be there for about a week.

You should get a copy of the bus schedule(s) when you arrive, then if you have to get a bus back to Reykjavic in time to make your flight, you can. That said, I have no clue if any bus companies will take three bikes. I do not remember if they put bikes below or on a rack. That would be an important question to ask before you depend on using the bus.

The wind controls how far you can go in a day. Two days I quit early due to strong headwinds, but two days I went past my destination because I did not want to waste a good tailwind.

First photo, F35, the initial part of the road made me think this was going to be fantastic, the road was almost as good as paved.

Second photo, lots of tour busses on F35. I generally just got to the side of the road when they approached as I was not sure how careful the drivers were and they were taking up the full width of the road.

Third photo, the road got worse as I went.

Fourth photo, the road grader made the road much better.

The above photos are F35 and I was going North. Below are on 550 where I was going South.

Fifth photo, I heard a lot of noise to the side of the road, sounded like rushing water, had to go take a look.

Sixth photo, there was a very tall very steep hill on the northern end, this photo was taken after I finished pushing the bike up it. If you are going downhill on that, make sure your brakes are good.

Seventh photo, after this point they only want 4X4 or all wheel drive vehicles, road gets noticeably worse.

Eighth photo, this was the worst the road ever got.

Ninth photo, this was more average.

Tenth photo, sign says 14 percent.

Originally Posted by pdlamb

I have no clue about package delivery. But the country has a high level of internet usage by the population. That said, I had difficulty finding places that offered free wifi and I often went for days at a time without a weather forecast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP2746.jpg (95.0 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP2742.jpg (96.7 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP2854.jpg (98.4 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP2869.jpg (97.3 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP3345.jpg (96.6 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP3351.jpg (96.5 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP3366.jpg (97.9 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP3370.jpg (99.0 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP3373.jpg (97.9 KB, 46 views)
20IMGP3422.jpg (96.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-16-17 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 10:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

I just looked at the map again, I now realize that I took 550, not 578. So all my comments on 578 are pertinent to 550 instead. I hope this did not cause confusion. I will go back to the posting I made a few minutes ago and correct that.
Old 05-16-17, 11:01 AM
jefnvk

Ah darn, I was going to ask about the river crossing on the 578. Not much info on the road, if that'll be passable in June.
Old 05-16-17, 01:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Ah darn, I was going to ask about the river crossing on the 578. Not much info on the road, if that'll be passable in June.
Before I went I looked at some crazy guy postings, this was one of them. Is your answer here?
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=16505&v=A9

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.