Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

cutting the fork steerer tube

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-30-17, 05:09 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

I just learned about this and as we are about to buy a new bike for my wife, have some quick questions.

Does the bike shop building the bike (in our case Surly LHT) always do this?

If so, how do they decide at what height to cut? I have a LHT and the shop never measured me.

Shouldn't we tell the guy to NOT cut so that we can adjust the height of the handlebars later to find the most comfortable position?

Cheers

Waddo
Old 05-30-17, 05:19 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried asking the shop how they're going to handle it?
Old 05-30-17, 05:41 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
The LBS will decide based on personal fitting if you do not give direction otherwise.

It's best to leave steerer long until you decide to shorten, since it's irreversible and a new fork is ~$100 (and usually unavailable in frame-matched color). It may take months of riding until you finalize a stem/bar height on a new bike.
Old 05-30-17, 05:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Echoing Seekers comment, ask them to not cut the steerer - Yet !.

They can install spacers above the stem as required, unless it's stupid long, then they can do an initial cut, install extra spacers and let you ride for a while. That gives you the options to raise or lower the stem until a good position is found.

Then you can have it cut to that position.

If they want to charge you each and every time (the first cut should be included with the build) you can always buy a Park Tool Headset Cutting Guide, they run about $25 or so and allow a parallel cut with a hacksaw.
Old 05-30-17, 06:01 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
Shouldn't we tell the guy to NOT cut so that we can adjust the height of the handlebars later to find the most comfortable position?
Yes.

Even if you want it cut later, it is easy to do if you have some mechanical aptitude and a hack saw.

If you might want a handlebar bag later, that is best setup with a second stem to lower the bag too, two photos attached showing a 2nd stem to lower the bag bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1139.jpg (92.9 KB, 132 views)
20IMGP3682.jpg (97.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 05-30-17, 06:04 PM
waddo

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yes.

Even if you want it cut later, it is easy to do if you have some mechanical aptitude and a hack saw.

If you might want a handlebar bag later, that is best setup with a second stem to lower the bag too, two photos attached showing a 2nd stem to lower the bag bracket.

Could you tell me how long an uncut stem actually is? Are they all the same size?
Old 05-30-17, 07:55 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
The standard is to allow 40mfor spacers and 40mm for the stem. Since it has as steel steer, you can do what you want. If they do not want to do what you want, I would recommend going elsewhere.
Old 05-30-17, 08:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by steve b.
echoing seekers comment, ask them to not cut the steerer - yet !.
+1 !!!!

Originally Posted by Brian25
The standard is to allow 40mfor spacers and 40mm for the stem. Since it has as steel steer, you can do what you want. If they do not want to do what you want, I would recommend going elsewhere.
Don't use this rule of thumb; wait until you really get the bike dialed in to cut anything. The LHT is a touring bike, and often srt up with the bars the same height as the saddle. That is the beauty of a LHT; it comes with an uncut steerer tube. We still have not cut the ST on my daughter's LHT yet. Maybe one more long tour to make sure it is really dialed in. And it does not hurt to leave about 10 mm extra, just in case. We did finally cut the ST on our other daughter's LHT, but she had been riding it for a longer time.

My bike has been built up since 2010. Someday I might get around to cutting the steerer tube That is a 55 mm stack height and it fits me pretty good.

This was the first tour our daughter did on her new LHT. We did not cut anything until she rode it for awhile. It looked a little weird, but it did not bother her. We will be going on another tour with our daughter this summer, and may cut it when we get home.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-30-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 11:40 PM
waddo

Originally Posted by Doug64
+1 !!!!

Don't use this rule of thumb; wait until you really get the bike dialed in to cut anything. The LHT is a touring bike, and often srt up with the bars the same height as the saddle. That is the beauty of a LHT; it comes with an uncut steerer tube. We still have not cut the ST on my daughter's LHT yet. Maybe one more long tour to make sure it is really dialed in. And it does not hurt to leave about 10 mm extra, just in case. We did finally cut the ST on our other daughter's LHT, but she had been riding it for a longer time.

My bike has been built up since 2010. Someday I might get around to cutting the steerer tube That is a 55 mm stack height and it fits me pretty good.

This was the first tour our daughter did on her new LHT. We did not cut anything until she rode it for awhile. It looked a little weird, but it did not bother her. We will be going on another tour with our daughter this summer, and may cut it when we get home.
Thanks for posting the pics. Now I understand what they look like uncut. There is no chance we would need it to be so high and I think my wife would not want a "funny looking" bike. My LHT has 3 spacer rings below and nothing above. So maybe I should ask them to cut it like mine except with enough room for a additional spacer? Does it seem a good idea?
Old 05-31-17, 03:20 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
.. I think my wife would not want a "funny looking" bike.

The funny look is a passing thing. Like buying pants or a skirt that needs to be hemmed up to be just right.

If you are commited enought to do touring, I think putting up with a "funny look" while deciding on final fit is a small price to pay.
It is temporary after all.

.. . My LHT has 3 spacer rings below and nothing above.

Spacers comes in different heights. I think the thinnest one I have is 2.5 mm. The tallest, a home-made item, about 40 mm. The tallest COTS spacer, probably 25 mm.
The number as such doesn't mean a thing.

..So maybe I should ask them to cut it like mine ...

Your wife is not you. Your wife's bike is not yours.

Suggesting a cut for someone else based on your preference will be a guessing game - unless she has ridden your bike long enough to say something sensible about how it fits her.

.. ... except with enough room for a additional spacer?

Again, all spacers are not equal.

Since you said "new bike for my wife", ask how she feels about the fit of her old bike. Use that bike - and her input - as a reference for a guesstimate about where to do the build-up cut.

There are (oversized) stems available where you fit a sleeve over the steerer tube, and lock the sleeve down with the compression cap. Then the stem can be slid up & down the sleeve w/o upsetting headset preload while figuring out preferred height.
Old 05-31-17, 06:17 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 781 Posts
and dont forget that your wife has never had a drop bar bike, and without knowing how much riding she does, and how much riding you will do with this new bike when you get it, she may very well appreciate having the bars higher, no matter how it looks.
Old 05-31-17, 08:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Better to have a stack of spacers above the stem and ride it for months, before cutting any off, since it wont grow back.
Old 05-31-17, 08:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
Could you tell me how long an uncut stem actually is? Are they all the same size?
They only come in a couple lengths, there are more bike sizes than steerer lengths.

Only on one of my bikes have I cut the steerer, that one I cut it because I wanted the fork shorter for packing in the S&S case. I rode the bike for months before I finally cut it to make sure I did not cut it too short. My other bikes, I usually used a stem that was closer to horizontal to make it look a bit less odd, such as in the photos I posted above. But I think I have never had more than 20 mm of spacer above my stem on any bike so if I had a lot sticking out I probably would have cut that too.
Old 05-31-17, 06:44 PM
waddo

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
They only come in a couple lengths, there are more bike sizes than steerer lengths.

Only on one of my bikes have I cut the steerer, that one I cut it because I wanted the fork shorter for packing in the S&S case. I rode the bike for months before I finally cut it to make sure I did not cut it too short. My other bikes, I usually used a stem that was closer to horizontal to make it look a bit less odd, such as in the photos I posted above. But I think I have never had more than 20 mm of spacer above my stem on any bike so if I had a lot sticking out I probably would have cut that too.
Thanks
Old 05-31-17, 07:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. Now I understand what they look like uncut. There is no chance we would need it to be so high and I think my wife would not want a "funny looking" bike.
She is getting a bike with a very small frame and if she wants to match the effective saddle and bar height of her Sirrus, then a lot of spacers will be needed.
Old 05-31-17, 07:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
So maybe I should ask them to cut it like mine except with enough room for a additional spacer? Does it seem a good idea?
No.

She should ride it with different spacers and see which feels best. Only then should it be cut.

How it looks or how many spacers it has compared to your bike has absolutely nothing to do with it how it fits her.

-Tim-
Old 05-31-17, 09:08 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So maybe I should ask them to cut it like mine except with enough room for a additional spacer? Does it seem a good idea?
No, it is a bad idea. She should ride it for a few long rides first to get a sense of comfort level and handlebar height before cutting. You are emphasizing appearance over fit; that is not unusual for many bikers, but is a poor decision.
Old 05-31-17, 10:21 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Better to have a stack of spacers above the stem and ride it for months, before cutting any off, since it wont grow back.
Yes months & perhaps years. Disc Trucker is 2 yrs old, had steerer tube cut a bit since I built with upright adjustable stem--but now I see it limits stem options. Threadless headsets seem to be more PITA than advantage.
Old 06-01-17, 08:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Had a too short cut steerer, so had to buy one of these, for a used bike buy.. :

(fortunately, at the time there was a US based distributor at the time, that ended, so now retail importing is required)

wiggle.com | BBB BHP-20/21 Stem Extender | Oversize Stems
Old 06-01-17, 11:36 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Had a too short cut steerer, so had to buy one of these, for a used bike buy.. :

(fortunately, at the time there was a US based distributor at the time, that ended, so now retail importing is required)

wiggle.com | BBB BHP-20/21 Stem Extender | Oversize Stems
This make of stem extenders works well.
Old 06-01-17, 07:53 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Or, how about a slick custom Chinese titanium stem? Don't know the cost but can't be too exorbitant. Cleaner look, space for accessories & Ti might give a smidge of shock absorption. BTW, seems a bit ironic that LHT/DT which is designed for long-distance touring (& presumably a semi-upright avg riding position) requires leaving lots of steerer tube & spacers. I ride more leaned forward than many tourers plus my frame is max size I could use yet if I had the stem at lowest possible height it would be in time-trial position.

Last edited by DropBarFan; 06-01-17 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 08:01 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Put a Problem Solvers locking headset spacer on the bottom of your stack, and then you can easily move the other spacers and stem around all you want without messing up the preload or having to readjust the headset. They cost about $10 and work great. I have them on a few bikes (S&S bikes, makes for easier packing, too).

Problem Solvers
Attached Images
HD9974.jpg (41.7 KB, 34 views)