Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Low Rider Question(s)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Low Rider Question(s)

Old 07-18-17, 11:32 AM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Low Rider Question(s)

Hi,

I am in a debacle regarding low rider racks. Currently, I have a Tubus Tara installed, but the bar is tilted slightly. Should be alright for a bungee-less pannier, but I am looking at Lone Peak's panniers and I have one of 2 options.

Option 1: Looking at the Tubus sight, they have 'PLASTIC' attachments for the hooks...OR I could use the a rubberized metal P-clamp (I think thats what they're called) and D-ring attachment.

My question with this set up is with the angle that the rack is at, will I experience abnormal sway/slippage due to the elasticity of the bungee hook system?

Option 2: Plain and simple...Buy a new rack setup.

As far as I found, something like the Axiom Journey DLX Low Rider rack. I have seen it mounted on some bikes using the U-bolt, but really nothing on anything like the Kona. I've read that there are some sway issues, but with some rack hacks, I have seen some pretty good ideas and should be able to fix them if need be. Or maybe some other recommendations. Not really looking at full frame front racks. The Surly looks alright, but heard it was a pain in the neck to install.

Also, if you have the Axiom Rack, maybe post a picture of how its set up. It is unclear to me if you have to use the U-bolt or if you can use the preexisting bolts on the fork.

I chose the Lone Peak over Ortleib because they are locally made here in Washington, and I really think they will make a great addition to my Sutra. After all, Kona is based here in Washington too...

Here is my current setup (note the angle of the rack):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0230.jpg (100.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 07-18-17, 12:18 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
My Tara makes a similar angle. I've only ridden it across the U.S., but I had no problems (Ortlieb panniers, in my case). Adjust the hooks so it's easy to get them on and off, but far enough apart that they won't slide off. The angle of the rack is just enough to keep the bags from sliding back, and the cross bar over the tire will keep them from going off the front.
Old 07-18-17, 01:00 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I had a Jandd front rack, angled backwards, and bungee'd style front panniers. Had the same concerns as you.

I took a piece of an old tube, wrapped it around the bottom rail, and then hose clamped it in place, with the locking bit pointed straight down. Held the hook in place quite effectively. On the top, I simply added a locking clip to my panniers (from Lone Peak, the same style used on the current Lone Peaks). Didn't have a single issue, once the bag was on it didn't really move.
Old 07-18-17, 01:15 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I had the axiom rack, it's quite easy to set up, and reasonably sturdy. Having said that I eventually partially broke it after about 7000k on a particularly washboarded gravel road (managed to finish the trip okay, but one part was no longer connected). Apparently they are guaranteed for life, so they would probably replace. I got mine reinforced / beefed up by a local welding shop instead. I haven't actually tried them since, as I have migrated to another luggage system.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo. You will need to use the U-Bolt, unless the U-bolt mounting point lines up exactly with the low-rider mount bolt point on your fork. As I never used it on a low-rider ready fork, I'm not sure if this is the case, although it's possible.
Old 07-18-17, 03:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
Your photo, the angle looks worse than it really is because the bike is not horizontal in teh photo. But, yeah, the horizontal bars are not quite horizontal.

I would use the Tara as is. If you need to do something to keep the pannier from sliding forward on the horizontal bar, you could put a small hose clamp on the bar to create a stop for the pannier to stop against.

I have the Tara on one bike the Ergo on one and the Axiom that you cite on a third bike.

The Ergo I think has more adjustability than the Tara, there are two sets of holes on the hoop where you can bolt the horizontal bar to the hoop, but the Tara only has one set of bolt holes on the hoop. At this link you can see a photo of the Ergo that shows the extra set of bolt holes.
Tubus Ergo Lowrider Front Bicycle Rack ? TheTouringStore.com

I bought the Axiom on a recommendation but I was led to believe that it could be installed horizontally. Maybe it would not be too bad on a fork like you have, that fork is straight instead of with some curvature at the bottom. On my fork the Axiom is usable, I have the Axiom on an unusual fork because my midfork rack mounts are welded onto the front of the fork, not installed within the fork blade. I attached a photo of my Axiom setup. I also had to fabricate a bracket to put on the backside to bolt to the backside of the fork to brace it better. The Tara on this fork also was sloped quite a bit which is why I did not use the Tara on this bike. I actually do like one thing about the Axiom, this is on my expedition bike that I often use off road, the Axiom will mount the panniers slightly higher because the top of the pannier is several inches above the mid-fork mounts. But that is the only thing I like about the Axiom.

Regarding your bunge cords, I have no advice. A friend of mine is on a cross country ride right now, he has Arkels with bunge cord. A couple weeks ago I saw a photo of one of his front panniers sitting in the road where it landed after he hit a bump. That is not the first time one of his front panniers was launched.

The second photo shows the brace I fabricated from another angle.
Attached Images
20IMGP2637.jpg (99.3 KB, 127 views)
20IMGP3270.jpg (100.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-18-17, 04:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 781 Posts
360, could you take a closer photo of your frnt rack?
Old 07-18-17, 04:37 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
360, could you take a closer photo of your frnt rack?
I sure can. I also leveled it off so the angle isn't as bad as the original. But still about 5ish degrees....
Attached Images
FullSizeRender.jpg (100.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 07-18-17, 05:02 PM
djb

ive attached two shots of my tara on a troll, diff eyelet position, but to show you that by using the front eyelet on your bike, and the rear attachment point on the tara (supposedly less sturdy than the other one, it is smaller than the main one) and maybe with some spacers, you'd be able to have it level.

worth trying out to see if it will then clear the qr

with mine, although technically not as strong as the main tab, I toured with this with reasonably heavy front panniers with no issues. fatter tires helped a lot in putting less jarring into the rack, wheels etc
Attached Images
Tara1-4992.jpg (96.0 KB, 114 views)
Tara2-4993.jpg (99.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 07-18-17, 05:03 PM
djb

or just forget about it and live with the angle, see how it goes.
Old 07-18-17, 05:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
Would it be possible to mount the lower Tara mount on the fork eyelet that is in front of the fork instead of the back eyelet that you used? I can't tell from the photo if the skewer would get in the way or not?
Old 07-18-17, 08:34 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Would it be possible to mount the lower Tara mount on the fork eyelet that is in front of the fork instead of the back eyelet that you used? I can't tell from the photo if the skewer would get in the way or not?
It will, but I would have to take the skewer all the way out. Won't be too much of an issue, considering I need an Allen wrench to loosen it. The problem is the dropout is slightly forward facing rather than the usual.
Old 07-18-17, 11:52 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may be able take the cross bar that attaches to the mid-fork and turn it over so the bolt holes are up instead of down, that would likely level the cross bar.
Old 07-19-17, 04:16 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I don't see how that slight angle could be a problem.
Old 07-19-17, 04:57 AM
djb

Originally Posted by bwgride
You may be able take the cross bar that attaches to the mid-fork and turn it over so the bolt holes are up instead of down, that would likely level the cross bar.
That's a good idea, certainly worth trying.
Old 07-19-17, 07:13 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 3,605 Times in 1,656 Posts
have you considered the nashbar lowrider? its a copy of the old blackburn and highly adjustable. i use it.
Nashbar Low Rider Front Rack
Old 07-19-17, 10:27 AM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely use the ideas/recommendations and experiment with the Tara before changing it out.
Old 07-19-17, 04:00 PM
djb

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
have you considered the nashbar lowrider? its a copy of the old blackburn and highly adjustable. i use it.
Nashbar Low Rider Front Rack
do note that it doesnt work with ortlieb panniers, I have an old blackburn and realized that at some point when trying to put ortliebs on it.
Old 07-23-17, 09:36 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
You might also try using spacers, 5-6 mm just enough to cleat the fork blade, on the dropout connecting point and mounting the rack on the forward eyelet on the the fork. That is the way my Tara is set up, but I don't know if disc brakes will allow mounting the rack that way.
Old 07-23-17, 11:38 AM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see your dilemma. It's not necessarily the slope of the rack, but that the bungee hooks will slip off the bottom of the rack because of the vibration of riding. Am I correct? If so, I have a fix that works well. If your issue is something else, please enjoy the MS Paint diagram nonetheless.

Last edited by Timequake; 07-23-17 at 11:50 AM.