Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which Shimano Hubs for wheelset?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-12-19, 01:37 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 418 Posts

Just got my bikes original wheelset back together. and after new bearings, cones, axles, a couple spokes and a not truly true, the trust aint quite there.

So I'm pondering another wheel set for this year.

I need a set of hubs 100mm front 130mm rear. The bike is 7 speeds right now and probably will never have more than 9 speeds.

I'm assuming a middle grade Shimano hub is the way to go for a middle grade functional wheel set.

The question is, are there any particular Shimano hubs that are more suitable for loaded touring? I'm good with cups and cones as far as keeping up with maintenance, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-12-19, 02:44 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
IMO, if you aren't looking for high end and just want a good serviceable hub, the Shimano Deore is good. Keep them greased and adjusted as needed and they should last a while. I don't know if the rear comes in a 130mm, though. If not, I'd look to Shimano Tiagra. Still not too expensive and a good hub that should last as well as the Deore. I haven't used Tiagra personally, but it should be around the same level as Deore, but road spacing rather than mountain.

You can probably buy a Tiagra wheel-set for not too much. By the time you spend $50 on hubs, rims, spokes, and build time, it might be more cost effective to buy a cheap set.
Old 03-12-19, 02:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
10 x 1 .. Steel axle ones.. 9 x 1 front.. 36 spoke

Buy a Prebuilt wheel via the Local Bike shop & thru their Suppliers..

If you damage the wheel on a tour the odds are a Bikeshop would have one like that ,

and put you back on the road in that afternoon ..
a high end wheel rebuild will take a long time in the busy season.

so you may get one anyhow, and a fancy hub cut out of the wheel to mail home.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-12-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 03:34 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
If you need a disc mount, you should mention what type. Or if rim brake, that simplifies it.
Old 03-12-19, 03:57 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Rim brakes. I'm looking at the Universal Cycles Wheel Builder as a base line. The "LBS" I'd like to use is 100 miles away, so I try and have some idea of what I'm after before taking up their time on the phone
Old 03-12-19, 07:52 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most any Shimano hub will work well. I recently bought 700c wheels ($109, ~$130 shipped, velomine.com) with WTB STPi i19 rims and Shimano M435 hubs, a non-series hub. I compared the exploded diagram of these hubs with other higher level models and found the parts to be interchangeable with most of their MTB hubs. The wheelset weighed 2060g which is pretty good for a set I plan to use for commuting and load touring. Spokes were not as tight as I desired so tightened and re-trued.

Do a search at velomine.com for whatever (a) wheel size you seek (700c, 650, 26), (b) rear hub width (130), and Shimano and you will likely see many good offerings from $150 to $250. I personally would NOT (thanks - forgot to include not) be concerned about the hub level if the hubs are made by Shimano - all work very well and the weight differences can be minor among most models.

velomine.com

Last edited by bwgride; 03-13-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 07:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
Originally Posted by bwgride
... I personally would be concerned about the hub level if the hubs are made by Shimano - all work very well and the weight differences can be minor among most models.
Did you miss a word?
Old 03-13-19, 07:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Just got my bikes original wheelset back together. and after new bearings, cones, axles, a couple spokes and a not truly true, the trust aint quite there.

I need a set of hubs 100mm front 130mm rear. The bike is 7 speeds right now and probably will never have more than 9 speeds.

I'm assuming a middle grade Shimano hub is the way to go for a middle grade functional wheel set.

The question is, are there any particular Shimano hubs that are more suitable for loaded touring? I'm good with cups and cones as far as keeping up with maintenance, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Any thoughts?
Before you sink any time and money into wheels, ask yourself why? If you are going to build a wheel set yourself, why build something that will cost you more than what you can buy it for? That goes doubly if you are going to have someone else build it.

This wheel set is about $200 on sale and you can't build one for that price. It would be hard to build one for the "normal" price. Hubs will cost you $125, rims would cost $180 and even generic spokes would cost $70. That's about $380 without labor.

If you are going to build something, think BIG! Build (or have something built) that is special and worth the investment. Think Phil Wood or White Industries hubs. Think DT Alpine III spokes. Think about rim colors. Mostly think unique.

Don't think hohum.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-13-19, 08:07 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
105 is fine, Deore too. I personally wouldn't go with Tiagra, and Ultegra is more expense than you need for marginal upgrade over 105. I agree with buying stock prebuilt. Might then be worth your money to take them to a shop and have them re-tensioned.
Old 03-13-19, 08:20 AM
bark_eater 

These are the "Its only another $100" set I'm eyeballing.

Black Heavy Duty Velocity Dyad 700c Shimano 5800 Hubs 36h Sapim [741448] - $299.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

I've already got 2 other wheel sets in the works this right now, and 3 month till my planned summer mini tour.

Time to sell some junk...
Old 03-13-19, 08:37 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

These are the "Its only another $100" set I'm eyeballing.

Black Heavy Duty Velocity Dyad 700c Shimano 5800 Hubs 36h Sapim [741448] - $299.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

I've already got 2 other wheel sets in the works this right now, and 3 month till my planned summer mini tour.

Time to sell some junk...
That'll do.
Old 03-13-19, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
MY LBS has a J&B account, for fancier wheels they order them from QBP,
benefit is all the parts for the wheel are at their wholesale ..

weird ones get hand built , winter is a good time , for that,

summer it's a madhouse, Bike tourists by the hundreds.. + trying to move enough stuff,
Selling bikes, to be around next spring, too ..

Old 03-13-19, 10:35 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 266 Posts
The bike is 7 speeds right now and probably will never have more than 9 speeds.

I'm assuming a middle grade Shimano hub is the way to go for a middle grade functional wheels... Any thoughts?
You are absolutely on the right track. Go for say Tiagra: one of the great bargains in cycling.
5 years from now, when you are looking to replace the freehub, you won't have to undergo a lengthy and hideously expensive exercise of tracking a new one down, as you would with one of the overrated and overpriced boutique hubs. Pretty much everything on the Tiagra hub is easily and cheaply replaceable.

I would recommend against a 11-speed compatible hub (such as 105) if you know that you'll be running up to 10-speed max. All things being equal, the 8/9/10 speed rear hubs will produce a superior wheel with less dish and spoke tension differentials. And feature easier to find and cheaper replacement parts.
Old 03-13-19, 06:34 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by revcp
105 is fine, Deore too. I personally wouldn't go with Tiagra, and Ultegra is more expense than you need for marginal upgrade over 105. I agree with buying stock prebuilt. Might then be worth your money to take them to a shop and have them re-tensioned.
One point on hub selection: If the frame is made for a 130mm hub, the mountain bike hubs won’t easily work. They are 135mm hubs. They can be levered into the frame but it’s a struggle. Or the frame could be spread but that’s a hassle as well.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-13-19, 07:09 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

I would recommend against a 11-speed compatible hub (such as 105) if you know that you'll be running up to 10-speed max. All things being equal, the 8/9/10 speed rear hubs will produce a superior wheel with less dish and spoke tension differentials. And feature easier to find and cheaper replacement parts.
Thats a point for the cheaper wheelsets. "Quality" has a wheel set with Velocity No BS rims and a lower end 10 speed shimano hub.
I did just get my hands on a use d wheelset with a Shimano 11 speed 105 hub. Im going to take it appart and see if a narrower freehub body will fit. If so the axle could get shimmed over to reduce dish. (In theory)
Old 03-13-19, 08:38 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I assume you'll be touring on these hubs since you posted on the touring thread, so I would go with Shimano Deore LX, they're not expensive.
Old 03-14-19, 09:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I assume you'll be touring on these hubs since you posted on the touring thread, so I would go with Shimano Deore LX, they're not expensive.
130mm rear is needed.
Old 03-14-19, 09:09 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Velomine is hard to beat unless you have a specific hub/rim/spoke combo that you want.
Old 03-14-19, 09:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Any thoughts?
I have modern Tiagra hubs on a touring bike and modern 105 hubs on a gravel bike. Both are simple to service and stay clean inside, even with a handful of years with each on wet pavement or sticky gravel that kicks up into the wheels, though admittedly I dont ride often in active rain.
The 105(and modern Ultegra) hubs are more simple to service than old versions as the bearing adjustment is a lot easier to properly load.

I have these on my gravel bike- H Plus Son Archetype Wheelset Shimano 5800 105 Hubs 36h DT Comp [740954] - $219.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
They are 36h, butted spokes, 105 hub, quality rim, and brass nipples. I couldnt have built them for less. Ive used them for a few years and havent touched the spokes as they are still true and seem well tensioned. As mentioned by others, the wheels may need to be properly tensioned and trued after a bit of use since they were machine built wheels and I dont think they go thru a lot of cycles of relief during the build process. That, to me, is hardly a big deal. If you cant do it, just take them to a shop that knows to not only true the wheels but have them properly tensioned.
These would be fantastic for touring, and I actually plan to use them on my touring bike whenever I get a new gravel bike since I they have been so reliable.

If you want something handbuilt, like the Universal Cycles builder, consider prowheelbuilder.com as Ive had a set of road wheels built by them and I thought the price was very good. You can select from a host of rims, spokes, and hubs just like Universal.
Old 03-15-19, 07:17 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
130mm rear is needed.
A 3.5mm spacer on the left side would work with a Deore LX

Or you can get 130mm Deore XT on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deo...d=323724490867
Old 03-15-19, 07:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

A 3.5mm spacer on the left side would work with a Deore LX

Or you can get 130mm Deore XT on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deo...d=323724490867
you just suggested a $125 hubs thats from 30 years ago and made for a 6sp cassette. And I think it's include, but not positive.

I'm confused as i dont understand how this could be viewed as a good idea when new 130mm shimano road hubs are less than half that cost, have better seals, and are made for modern drivetrain gearing.

that ebay hub could be really neat for a period correct bike though, if someone is looking to spend some coin.
Old 03-15-19, 07:38 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
you just suggested a $125 hubs thats from 30 years ago and made for a 6sp cassette. And I think it's include, but not positive.

I'm confused as i dont understand how this could be viewed as a good idea when new 130mm shimano road hubs are less than half that cost, have better seals, and are made for modern drivetrain gearing.

that ebay hub could be really neat for a period correct bike though, if someone is looking to spend some coin.
Someone said they needed a 130mm hub, I thought those stopped being made in the 90's? is that not correct?
Old 03-15-19, 11:14 PM
cyccommute 

Someone said they needed a 130mm hub, I thought those stopped being made in the 90's? is that not correct?
Nope. The road bike standard is 130mm. Mountain bikes were made with 130mm hubs in the 90s but that changed to 135mm. Although it’s hard to keep up with it now, I think the new widths are 142mm and 170mm for fat bikes.

Old 03-16-19, 11:37 AM
revcp 

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Nope. The road bike standard is 130mm. Mountain bikes were made with 130mm hubs in the 90s but that changed to 135mm. Although it’s hard to keep up with it now, I think the new widths are 142mm and 170mm for fat bikes.
170 with quick release is old school for fat bikes. The standard is now 190/197 thru axle. Obesity rules for fatties.
Old 03-16-19, 02:38 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'm sure road bikes will be through-axle front and rear and wider soon. ...but not a currently produced through-axle, of course. They'll need to get their profits out of it and "discover" that 132mm front and 138mm rear is "best" or something. It's all a bunch of silly marketing BS to sell more stuff. I don't even try to keep up anymore. Just wait 6 years and it'll be 200mm through-axle rear with a 15sp cassette. The one wheel will cost $500, and the frame that it comes on $3,000. Whatever...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.