Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So a member made a suggestion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 05:41 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts

Thank you Wildwood

https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...s-7-8-9-speed/
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-02-21, 06:41 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Hey cool. Any intent of moving existing threads there?
Old 06-02-21, 07:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
So it’s C&V lite?
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-02-21, 07:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
So now threads that people want in c&v, or road, or general will be moved to this specific forum my mods?

eta- super lame.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-02-21, 10:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
So it’s C&V lite?
Sort of vintage for the millenniums I guess. Not quite vintage but not quite new. Old enough to keep it different but not quite old enough for the real C&V crowd who would think it a sin to not use campy downtube shifters on a proper lugged steel frame from '62. Interesting concept hope it sees some good traffic.
Old 06-02-21, 11:25 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Yes, we are trying to move the threads into the new sub forum. If you guys see something that should be moved, please please please report it and suggest it go into the new forum. THAT WOULD HELP A WHOLE LOT~~ Because right now, my team is trying to go through each thread to see if it belongs there and it's a lot of work. Thanks,. I really appreciate it.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-03-21, 06:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Of course, 9 speed was current when 10 speed was, just typically a lower trim level. Eg. Tiagra vs Ultegra kinda thing. Actually 9s is current now for Sora.

Doesn't it make sense to put a year range in the forum title instead? What constitutes 'early'
Old 06-03-21, 10:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Why?
Old 06-03-21, 01:27 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Why?
-Fi
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 06-03-21, 03:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
-Fi
I see what you did there.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-03-21, 04:13 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 06-03-21, 06:16 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
-Fi
Is that not a legitimate question? Is the forum simply for the appreciation of this niche period? Is it for mechanical help that's somehow not suitable elsewhere? Is it assumed that further segmentation and pulling threads out of the most trafficked forums will actually help get more interested, relevant eyes on the topics?

Originally Posted by Koyote
I see what you did there.
Yes, it was an astonishing display of wit and subtlety. Kudos for being clever enough to appreciate it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-03-21, 07:12 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Nachoman does not approve.
But Nachoman does not approve of much of anything.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 06-03-21, 07:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Is that not a legitimate question? Is the forum simply for the appreciation of this niche period? Is it for mechanical help that's somehow not suitable elsewhere? Is it assumed that further segmentation and pulling threads out of the most trafficked forums will actually help get more interested, relevant eyes on the topics?

Yes, it was an astonishing display of wit and subtlety. Kudos for being clever enough to appreciate it.
I thought Minnesotans were friendly...?
Old 06-03-21, 08:28 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

~Fi = For information.

You guys make it what you want it to be.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 06-03-21, 09:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Still lame.
7, 8, and 9sp STI exist on current bikes.

Why should a thread about a '98 road bike with 9sp Ultegra be moved out of the Road section and into this other subforum?
If the poster wants it here, keep it here.
Old 06-03-21, 10:20 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

I am sorry that we can't please everyone. Some say this new forum is lame when it hasn't even had the chance to grow. But then again, being lame can apply to a lot of forums here. Which is why we are starting to get rid of some. So far two are gone!
Old 06-04-21, 05:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I am sorry that we can't please everyone. Some say this new forum is lame when it hasn't even had the chance to grow. But then again, being lame can apply to a lot of forums here. Which is why we are starting to get rid of some. So far two are gone!
I welcome the interest in improving the forum I think Pills and Ills has been great, really tidied up 50+. Also support the demise of P&R. On the fence about Mfg Feedback, I thought it was good to have a place to corral the "they done me wrong" threads. I question messing with C&V. It's pretty active and doesn't seem to attract the trolls and attention seekers. Maybe instead of moving existing threads, just let the new sub grow naturally (or not) and you can better judge whether it's worth keeping the division. JMO.
Old 06-04-21, 06:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

What is the significant difference between a 9sp road bike from 1998 and a 9sp road bike from 20 years later? Or really, whats the difference compared to an 11sp road bike from 20 years later?
I find there is no significant difference and question why a new forum is needed for something that isnt actually different. Both can be ridden at the same speed, have the same shifting style, can generally handle the same upgrades, etc.

With no significant difference, why create a new subforum? Really though, the subforum existing isnt an issue to me- the issue is that threads are forced over there even if the poster doesnt want them there. If the OP wants to talk about their 25 year old road bike in the heavily trafficked road bike forum, then why not? I have a road frame from 32 years ago that is just as effective as my road frame from 3 years ago...why should a thread about one be forced into C&V or 'Early Brifter' while the other stays here?
Again, 7, 8, and 9sp STI still exists on new bikes. That isnt only 'Early Brifter', its also current.

Oh, and the term 'brifter' is about as lame as the creation of a subforum to force threads about lower speed STI/Egropower into.

I eagerly await next week's new subforum- flat bar road bikes. Its where bikes that mods deem arent hybrids and also arent worthy of keeping on 'Road Cycling' will go. A flat bar road bike vs drop bar road bike has more effective difference than a 9sp bike from the late 90s and an 11sp bike from 7 years ago.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-04-21, 07:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What is the significant difference between a 9sp road bike from 1998 and a 9sp road bike from 20 years later? Or really, whats the difference compared to an 11sp road bike from 20 years later?

Again, 7, 8, and 9sp STI still exists on new bikes. That isnt only 'Early Brifter', its also current.
I wonder if we'll see 10s added to the new forum's title a couple years from now?
Old 06-04-21, 09:44 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
having owned a mid 90's raleigh with 8 speed 105 and currently riding an 8 speed 2019 Allez, I really don't see any distinction, 8 speed and above with STI shifters are basically modern road bikes, not sure there's a need to have this grey area between classic bikes and 10+ speed bikes today. There's absolutely nothing unique from a mechanical perspective that would necessitate a separate area, as far as I'm concerned
Old 06-04-21, 09:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What is the significant difference between a 9sp road bike from 1998 and a 9sp road bike from 20 years later?
Twenty years, and maybe disc brakes.
Old 06-04-21, 05:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
And P&R is baaack....
Old 06-04-21, 06:17 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I don’t really have a problem with this, but OTOH not sure how necessary/useful it will be. It’s reasonable to see how it goes.