Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

please help a newbie - dahon boardwalk d7 vs vitesse d8

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-23, 06:12 PM
DRcycloniclonus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the UK, looking for a fold bike for a multimodal commute.
Maximum distance cycled in one journey would be approx 6mi / 10km (so 12mi / 20km in one day if I cycle to and from work).
I need to carry a medium - large sized backpack on the bike rack, but don't plan to haul any seriously heavy cargo.
I'm very short and weigh about 59kg / 130lbs on a bad day.

Like everyone else I dream of one day owning a Brompton but alas, they are too expensive. I have a very tight budget.
I really like the look of Dahon but theres not much choice of models in Europe. Halfords is the only official distributor in UK.

--After trawling the internet I found a used Dahon boardwalk D7 for sale, apparently 2012 model, Shimano tourney derailleur, lovely brown saddle / handles, and in decent condition (only a few scuffs here and there). Costs £335 including postage. However it doesn't have a pannier rack or any mudguards.

--I've also found a used vitesse d8 for £350, also in decent condition. Its already installed with mud guards and pannier rack. However, the tyres are completely flat.

My questions are:
1. Comparing them both, including the effort and costs required to make the bike ready for use - also considering the availability of compatible dahon parts in the UK - which one would you advise is the better choice, and why?

2. I have the opportunity to haggle the price down of either bike. What is the lowest price I could ask for either bike that is also realistic?

I'd really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-23, 06:37 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Hey,

im not familiar with the bike Vitesse but have several Dahons,, the D7 being one of them. It’s a good bike and once you sort things out like adding a rack to the Dahon you will be pleased.

I found a great deal on a 2017 Broomie here in the states and now use it regularly. Still pull the D7 out as well.

Hope this helps at least a little.
Old 05-27-23, 07:43 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
The Vitesse. One of the best frame designs. Strong and light, rolls well folded if you set it up right, rides like a big bike, fits into an airline approved regular suitcase for travel. Learn how to patch a tube, it's easy. Or invest in some Schwalbe Marathon / Big Apple tires and tubes.

Last edited by wesgreen; 05-27-23 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-27-23, 11:10 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
The Boardwalk in an advanced age sounds awfully expensive to me. I bought my 6-speed version of Boardwalk for Chinese market for $120 or so, to give you a reference. Yes, the components were of lower quality and a few needed a faster replacement, but the bike rides perfectly fine.