Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Pocket Rocket cable routing

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 08:54 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts

i acquired the bare frame with wheels a few years ago and finally getting around to rebuilding it, and was wondering if anyone who has one can post pictures of how the RD and rear brake cables are routed. i'm going 1x10 so no front derailleur... thanks!

Last edited by cocoabeachcrab; 05-29-23 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-29-23, 10:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts

If you are planning on packing, give a little extra slack to the cables around the bars.

Since your wheels are about 20", vs 27" for a road bike, you'll need a plan to get gearing about 30% higher than a road bike to be comfortable.

My bike has the Bike Friday gooseneck stem. Then the handlebars are split in the middle with reinforcement, so one can easily disassemble for packing. If you have the newer 31.8 stem, then it may be able to come apart intact without splitting the bars.

I have the Sachs rear hub, thus both the rear derailleur as well as the IGH.
Old 05-29-23, 10:54 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

If you are planning on packing, give a little extra slack to the cables around the bars.

Since your wheels are about 20", vs 27" for a road bike, you'll need a plan to get gearing about 30% higher than a road bike to be comfortable.

My bike has the Bike Friday gooseneck stem. Then the handlebars are split in the middle with reinforcement, so one can easily disassemble for packing. If you have the newer 31.8 stem, then it may be able to come apart intact without splitting the bars.

I have the Sachs rear hub, thus both the rear derailleur as well as the IGH.
perfect! thank you! i'll post some pics in a new thread when i have it done.
Old 06-04-23, 11:22 AM
biker101

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
i acquired the bare frame with wheels a few years ago and finally getting around to rebuilding it, and was wondering if anyone who has one can post pictures of how the RD and rear brake cables are routed. i'm going 1x10 so no front derailleur... thanks!
I have modified the brake cable routing to a more direct connection. Did improve brake performance a lot. When you fold the bike, extra cable is pulled through the little pieces of tubing which guide the cable to the front --- see photos.

Likes For biker101:
Old 06-04-23, 01:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
One note,

Unlike @biker101, I don't have a front derailleur cable on my bike. It has a derailleur braze-on, but no cable stops nor guides.

And, my chainring is too big to fit a derailleur at the current braze-on. Perhaps a 60-something tooth max.