Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What may annoy you when commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-21-19, 09:03 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

Who reports verbal altercations? What is that? Yelling at someone? I thought you Brits had more spine.
Is English your first language?
Old 03-21-19, 09:13 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Is English your first language?
Sometimes
Old 03-21-19, 10:55 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac

Look at the Heat Map below your post. This is just for one area and it is acknowledged that it is very under reported. Multiply this around the country and you get the idea. Nobody is going to do anything about it and nothing is going to get done. That is why every individual cicylist has to take individual responsibility for themselves and decide what is their best personal way to deal with it. I can't tell you how to deal with it and you probably can't tell me how to deal with it. But you have to deal with it. Acknowledge it and face it and do not take it for granted.
I'm certain everything is way underreported.

However, the reality is that cycling has never been easier or safer. I'm not sure bike lanes existed much of anywhere in the US before the 90's and now they appear in many cities. Roads in general are wider and have better shoulders (i.e. at least paved rather than gravel) even when no explicit bike lane is provided. Culture is WAY more accepting of cyclists than it's ever been. The equipment is far better too.

Not that there's not plenty of room for improvement but it's so much better and easier than it was it's not even funny. Curiously, cyclists seem way more scared than they used to be. Not sure what's going on there.
Old 03-21-19, 11:01 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by phile
he's obviously a horror fan.
I'm guessing he wouldn't find this very funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5sRDJtqNc&feature=youtu.be&t=360

Last edited by banerjek; 03-21-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 11:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Curiously, cyclists seem way more scared than they used to be. Not sure what's going on there.
Hysteria stirred up by Internet ranting, as well as safety nannyism, some of it driven by marketeers of so-called safety initiatives, infrastructure and products.
Old 03-21-19, 11:08 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Hysteria stirred up by Internet ranting, as well as safety nannyism, some of it driven by marketeers of so-called safety initiatives, infrastructure and products.
I've been enjoying the Road thread on Trek's helmet that will change cycling forever.

Waiting for the road reports -- looks like there's a decent chance this revolutionary product doesn't vent as well, traps bees next to your skull, and performs only slightly better than other offerings.
Old 03-21-19, 11:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

The OP posted such an open-ended question, that my best answer was nothing that would make me want to give up cycling, or too trite to enumerate, even after being hit by a car from behind.

However, I have posted to several threads, though not as heatedly as @mjac :

Anytime you ride in the street and do not get killed, it is a plus. I do not recommend it. If you can't commute using dedicated Bike Paths don't do it. It is not worth it.

It only takes one Jackass and you are going to lose the battle with a 21/2 Ton Automobile. Stick to Bike Paths and Parks and ride safely and happily. The number of Ghost Funerals in this City alone is unbelievable. Their ain't nothing Romantic about it. You are Hurt or you are Dead and a Statistic that everyone will forget about.
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
land your point is...

I did not mean to sound heated. I merely wanted to introduce some reality into the situation. These Ghost Bike Funerals are happening all the time around here. Each one of these represents a dead cicylist.

Recently two cicylist were killed at the same time by a drunk driver. That is reality. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that. You either find a solution to this,whatever your personal solution is or tempt the same fate. I do not want to see this happen to anyone and it is happening too often.

suffer the consequences.
Thanks for your reply. When I was composing my reply to your post, I tried to judge the “tenor” of your post,and choose the appropriate description. My first choice was “vehement,” but that seemed too strident.

Even now, I can’t think of another synonym, though perhaps “morbid” comes to mind.
Nonetheless, I was acknowledging the gavity of your concerns.

The point of my reply was that I recognize the dangers of cycling, and anyone interested should be aware, and choose it of their own volition. If that’s the case, I certainly would advise as much as warranted from my extensive experience.
Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!
It seemed to me, that your post actively discouraged road cycling. FYA, IMO this was a pretty good thread (of many) on the subject “Commute by bike? But that's dangerous!.”
Originally Posted by noglider
Everyone knows that cycling is dangerous. Except that everyone who knows this is wrong. Traveling by bike is one of the safest ways to commute, safer than driving a car.

​​​​​​​Cycle, walk, drive or train? Weighing up the healthiest (and safest) ways to get around the city

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-21-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 11:36 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
he's obviously a horror fan.
Obviously works for the auto industry. Annoying!
Old 03-21-19, 11:36 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by alan s

Sometimes
Well, your terse and vacant responses indicate one or more of 3 things:

1. You're just wasting my time.
2. You're not clever and can't rationally comment.
3. English isn't your first language.

This is your last opportunity to contribute constructively as I am attempt to be reasonable with BF members and am trying to determine, which of the above you should be classified under.
Old 03-21-19, 12:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I am a little annoyed in the parking lot. It's a long one, about half a mile, speed bumps and a good bit of traffic in the morning. I'm usually 3-5 mph faster than the parking lot speed limit and there is no reason whatsoever for a car to try to catch up and pass me. And then they are more cautious at the exit than I am, getting across the 4-lane cross street, so when they do get around me I have to wait there behind them and then again for another gap.
Old 03-21-19, 12:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I've been enjoying the Road thread on Trek's helmet that will change cycling forever.
Helmet promotion through scare mongering probably has negatively affected acceptance of cycling as a desirable and healthy activity in the U.S. (especially for youth) and several other English speaking countries for the last 20+ years.
We can only hope the change isn't permanent.
Old 03-21-19, 12:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Tell that to the families of the people who have been killed in this city alone.The problem has to be recognized and dealt with and it is not. Not joked about and made light of. Hyperventilating indeed.
Where is this vault of horror located? How exactly do you propose that rational bicycle riders deal with your vision of bicycling danger?
Old 03-21-19, 12:26 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks for your reply. When I was composing my reply to your post, I tried to judge the “tenor” of your post,and choose the appropriate description. My first choice was “vehement,” but that seemed too strident.

Even now, I can’t think of another synonym, though perhaps “morbid” comes to mind.
Nonetheless, I was acknowledging the gavity of your concerns.

The point of my reply was that I recognize the dangers of cycling, and anyone interested should be aware, and choose it of their own volition. If that’s the case, I certainly would advise as much as warranted from my extensive experience.
It seemed to me, that your post actively discouraged road cycling. FYA, IMO this was a pretty good thread (of many) on the subject “Commute by bike? But that's dangerous!.”
You misunderstand the intent of my discussion. It is not to scare or discourage be morbid or be vehement. It is to bring attention to the fact that commuting on city streets in urban areas especially during peak traffic hours can be and is dangerous. Just recognize that and take whatever personal precautions you see fit. Too many people have bought into the hype you can just glog along and be oblivious to what is going on around you and you will somehow be protected because you are on a bike. My personal choice is to avoid street riding. I don't trust the people driving cars. Getting hit by a car is not fun. Trust me.
Old 03-21-19, 12:42 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Helmet promotion through scare mongering probably has negatively affected acceptance of cycling as a desirable and healthy activity in the U.S. (especially for youth) and several other English speaking countries for the last 20+ years.
We can only hope the change isn't permanent.
I'm not optimistic -- I've noticed a similar dynamic in the other sports I do as well as in other areas of life.

Increasingly, safety is thought of in terms of systems and procedures with the individual viewed as a hapless victim. If something happens to someone doing what they're "supposed" to, someone else must own it. There is severe resistance to examining what the individual could do to improve outcomes in situations where things aren't as they should be.

Portland is hilarious. We're supposed to be some kind of cycling Mecca, but those who present themselves as the face of cycling and get their voices heard on the news and in lawmaking chambers paint a picture of cycling as a super dangerous and scary activity. They also present riding in rain, cold, heat, darkness, wind, or up any incline as badass. Yeah, that will attract people to cycling in droves.
Old 03-21-19, 12:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Too many people have bought into the hype you can just glog along and be oblivious to what is going on around you and you will somehow be protected because you are on a bike.
Never met an adult who ever expressed even a remote reference to having bought into this imaginary hype/tripe.
Old 03-21-19, 12:45 PM
mjac

Where is this vault of horror located? How exactly do you propose that rational bicycle riders deal with your vision of bicycling danger?
The City is New Orleans. It amazes me that you can so easily dismiss the injuries and deaths of cyclists riding on urban streets. It happens. I see evidence of it on a regular basis. Yet you tend to ignore it like it does not exist and make fun. The point merely is to acknowledge the danger and find your own personal way of dealing with it. I deal with it by not riding in the street. I have no control over what a driver does with his car. How you and others deal with it is up to you. I can not tell anyone what to do. But acknowledge the danger exists and deal with it. Do not pretend that it does not exist. There is nothing trite about getting killed and you can not say it does not happen. Talk to me when you have been broad sided by a car going the wrong direction and being left for dead in the street by a hit and run driver. Rolltheeyes.
Old 03-21-19, 12:51 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Mostly other cyclists annoy me. Those that run stop signs and/or red lights. Also those that cut to the front of the line at a red light, then ride really slowly.

Also, as someone else said, people who use those extenda-leash things with their dogs. They're actually illegal in my city (Toronto) but that doesn't stop anyone.
Old 03-21-19, 12:51 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts

You misunderstand the intent of my discussion. It is not to scare or discourage be morbid or be vehement. It is to bring attention to the fact that commuting on city streets in urban areas especially during peak traffic hours can be and is dangerous. Just recognize that and take whatever personal precautions you see fit. Too many people have bought into the hype you can just glog along and be oblivious to what is going on around you and you will somehow be protected because you are on a bike. My personal choice is to avoid street riding. I don't trust the people driving cars. Getting hit by a car is not fun. Trust me.
I know you weren't quoting me. I've been hit, too. Lots of people have.

I think your message is valid, maybe consider your venue and audience. I'm guessing most folks here in commuting forum already have a good sense of the danger inherent to commuting by bike. But I don't know any cyclists who have the attitude you describe "...bought into the hype ... somehow be protected because you are on a bike". Sounds a little sensational, TBH.

Edit: But I do remember the days and weeks following my crash with a car. I had to commit to doing some soul searching because the incident had me wrecked mentally and emotionally. I ride past the exact spot I got hit by a car every morning I ride to work. I think it takes time to heal the mind just as with the body. You seem like good people. This is a tough crowd.

Last edited by Phamilton; 03-21-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 12:54 PM
mjac

Never met an adult who ever expressed even a remote reference to having bought into this imaginary hype/tripe.
I see it every day with inexperienced cicylists. Perhaps not yourself or your friends.
Old 03-21-19, 12:57 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I recently cycled around NOLA and found it very relaxed compared to here!
Old 03-21-19, 01:06 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Phamilton

I think your message is valid, maybe consider your venue and audience. I'm guessing most folks here in commuting forum already have a good sense of the danger inherent to commuting by bike. But I don't know any cyclists who have the attitude you describe "...bought into the hype ... somehow be protected because you are on a bike". Sounds a little sensational, TBH.
Considering the Venue as you suggested maybe I should Clarify. My concentration is not with experienced, veteran riders like yourselves. My drive is with the inexperienced, beginning rider and those who want to try the sport in an attempt to keep them out of trouble so they do try the sport, enjoy its many benefits and stay with it in order to grow the sport as much as possible. These people go out on urban streets unprepared and not realizing the dangers and something happens they are not going to stay with the sport. And they will lose and we will loose. I am just saying be aware of the dangers and find your own personal way of dealing with them. But they have to be dealt with,not ignored. I believe many of these deaths and injuries are with inexperienced riders and that hurts the sport.
Old 03-21-19, 01:06 PM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
I'm guessing he wouldn't find this very funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5sRDJtqNc&feature=youtu.be&t=360
i did lol
Old 03-21-19, 01:08 PM
mjac

I recently cycled around NOLA and found it very relaxed compared to here!
Atmosphere or Drivers?
Old 03-21-19, 01:09 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
well, your terse and vacant responses indicate one or more of 3 things:

1. You're just wasting my time.
2. You're not clever and can't rationally comment.
3. English isn't your first language.

This is your last opportunity to contribute constructively as i am attempt to be reasonable with bf members and am trying to determine, which of the above you should be classified under.
Old 03-21-19, 01:15 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Phamilton

Edit: But I do remember the days and weeks following my crash with a car. I had to commit to doing some soul searching because the incident had me wrecked mentally and emotionally. I ride past the exact spot I got hit by a car every morning I ride to work. I think it takes time to heal the mind just as with the body. You seem like good people. This is a tough crowd.
Your edit is of what I speak. I believe everything should be done to prevent a person from going through this. The riding past the spot where it happened everyday is the big one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.