Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front fork

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 08:47 AM
Rockferry42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Front fork

Hi all you knowledgable people!
Has anyone experienced the front shearing off their Raleigh Eclipse folding bike?
After adjusting the height of the handlebars, I went to get back on and they completely sheared off from the frame and front forks.
It’s irreparable 😭 and I wondered if this was something that happens???
The bike is otherwise in as new condition.
Advice too would be most welcome

thank you
Old 02-21-21, 10:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Why would you think that this is something that just happens? Especially to bikes in otherwise new condition?

If the advice you wish is for getting this fixed, then this isn't the forum for that. You should be in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.

Oh, welcome to BF, some of us give tough love.... <grin>
Old 02-21-21, 10:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
What sheared off? A bike shouldn't fall apart like that unless it is of really really low quality and that very well may describe your bike looking at a picture. However it is a Raleigh and while they have lost the quality over the years of being bought out by different companies I would doubt highly they would just completely fall apart on a new bike. Certainly if you overtightened or under tightened something or if you put something past the minimum insertion line (which is common on quill stems and of course seatposts) they can have some serious issues.

I would join the forums, post in some different threads to be active around here and then after a short period you will be able to post pictures and we can see what happened. Without pictures it is hard to tell what happened and if anything can be done. You can introduce yourself in the welcome forums or take a look around at the various sub forums here. There is one dedicated to folding bikes so you could take a look around there not to repost your current thread but to get involved with various discussions on going so you can get to 10 posts.
Old 02-22-21, 12:56 AM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Helpful

Thank you both
Clark. You’ve just told me what must have happened. I adjusted the height of the handlebars up. As you say, and I now realise, there must be a minimum you have to leave inserted. I have obviously exceeded this and it has failed. The handlebars have not just popped out, the end has sheared off.

Looking like I need new front forks. But I will post on the advised repair forum.

At 67, I’m still able to source and solve issues thanks to kindly souls who take the time to help. Thank you very much
Old 02-22-21, 08:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Rockferry42
Thank you both
Clark. You’ve just told me what must have happened. I adjusted the height of the handlebars up. As you say, and I now realise, there must be a minimum you have to leave inserted. I have obviously exceeded this and it has failed. The handlebars have not just popped out, the end has sheared off.

Looking like I need new front forks. But I will post on the advised repair forum.

At 67, I’m still able to source and solve issues thanks to kindly souls who take the time to help. Thank you very much
No worries. In future if you have a thread you want to continue somewhere else you might ask the moderators to move the thread to that sub forum rather than creating new threads.
Old 02-22-21, 02:40 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
yikes! that sounds terrifying and should not happen to any bicycle. nothing is perfect, but it sounds like Raleigh owes you a replacement.

on a related note, it's just a "fork." you only have one of them on a conventional bicycle (sure, there are mutant bikes with more than one fork), and we can assume that it is on the front of your bike. a normal bicycle does not have a "rear fork," so the word "front" is redundant.
Old 02-22-21, 02:56 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Are you sure you are using the correct terminology for what broke? It may be the stem, not the fork that you broke. Here are pictures of the fork and the stem. Raising the stem too far may cause the stem to fail but if the fork itself broke, that would not be the cause. It would probably be a defective fork. Not uncommon as there have been many recalls on bicycle forks. You need to file a report with the CPSC so that if this is a more than a "one of" the CPSC can build a case for a recall which means it gets fixed for free for all owners. https://www.saferproducts.gov/IncidentReporting
Bicycle Fork picture

Bicycle stem picture

If the stem is too short you can buy a stem raiser that does just what you did but does not risk damaging the stem and having a stem failure. Available online for prices from around $8 to around 30. The on pictured is a Delta Cycle Alloy stem raiser. I've used one on my Balance 450 MTB for years.

Stem Extender picture

Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 02-22-21, 11:50 PM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To Vegas triker

This is helpful. Yes it is the stem that has broken./sheared off. Question. Will a stem extender solve the problem instead of buying a whole fork (and stem)?
Old 02-23-21, 08:53 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
This is helpful. Yes it is the stem that has broken./sheared off. Question. Will a stem extender solve the problem instead of buying a whole fork (and stem)?
If it is the stem that is broken, it is the stem, not the fork that needs to be replaced. Folding bikes often have proprietary stems that are not compatible with the types of stem risers used on more conventional bikes. Your solution might be to buy a handlebar with more rise so that you don't extend the stem too far
Old 02-23-21, 11:28 AM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you

The stem and forks are one unit as far as I can see. But your comments are helpful. Thank you
Old 02-23-21, 11:59 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
The stem and forks are one unit as far as I can see. But your comments are helpful. Thank you
From the pictures I've found on the internet, your stem is like a gooseneck and inserted into the fork's "steerer" tube. The handlebar height appears to be adjustable up and down by opening a quick release cam at the base of the stem. Is this incorrect?
Old 02-23-21, 02:53 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Yes, it is possible to use a different type of handlebar raiser (see picture below) but you still need to find a handlebar stem to replace the broken one. From the picture shown in this sale advert for the Eclipse it is much longer on folding bikes https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/WvHLm...e-folding-bike. You also need to be able to remove the broken piece lodged in the steerer tube. It may also be that the handlebar/stem from another brand of folding bike would work on the Eclipse. This particular bike doesn't sell for a lot of money so may not be worth putting $$ into the repair.

Old 02-23-21, 04:08 PM
alcjphil

If the stem can be raised and lowered, it cannot be a permanent part of the fork. The fork is inserted into the frame from the bottom, the stem is inserted into the fork steer tube from the top
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-24-21, 02:03 AM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes crankyoldroad

That sounds about right. I’m obviously unfamiliar with the correct terms. Thank you
the handlebars came right out along with the lever for adjusting them.
Old 02-24-21, 07:23 AM
cranky old road 

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

So is it the steerer tube of the fork that has broken rather than the stem? And the fork now looks like a Y with a shorter tail than originally, with the tip of the Y that had some sort of provision for adjustable diameter clamping on the stem has sheared off? Most of the steerer tube is still inside the greater frame? (FYI That part of the frame is called the head tube and the bearing set that allows fork and handlebars to rotate in the head tube are the headset.) I'd really like to see a photo. In my imagination, from the information in this thread, it sounds like the top of your steerer tube has sheared off "along with the lever for adjusting them." Non-folding bikes would not have a fork steerer tube that will clamp down on the gooseneck stem. I think that has made your problem hard to comprehend for those of us less familiar with folding bikes. How old is this bike? Unless the instructions that came with the bike specify not to raise the handlebars past a minimum insertion mark, I'd try to get some compensation from Raleigh (probably unsuccessfully, I'm afraid."
Old 02-24-21, 12:03 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
A quick check of the CPSC data base will tell you if there has been a recall of any item

https://www.saferproducts.gov/PublicSearch

Use the advanced search option and enter bicycle as the key word. In the "Type" field you can select "reports" (there are a lot) or "recalls/repairs" to get the ones that have been recalled.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-24-21, 08:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
They are not (see my photo below and comment by alcjphil)

Originally Posted by alcjphil
If the stem can be raised and lowered, it cannot be a permanent part of the fork. The fork is inserted into the frame from the bottom, the stem is inserted into the fork steer tube from the top
If you post a picture of your broken piece with enough detail to see where it broke, we can all stop spinning our wheels and give you some good advice, especially with the confusion of terminology and unfamiliarity with this fairly unusual bike.

FWIW, this sort of topic really belongs in the mechanics forum and you'd get excellent advice there. Here is a picture I got off the web of what I think your bike is like. It might help you to communicate the problem, but again, a photo is always best and most efficient.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-24-21 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-26-21, 09:00 AM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To cranky

THANK YOU. Your patience and politeness is much valued.
The pictures that were posted were really helpful.
No idea on age of bike though, I bought it as new.
It is the steering tube that has snapped off! (There was NO indication how far I need to put the handlebars in! )
So, if you’re not tired of all this, what do I need to replace please?
ps. I’ll try to post photos
Old 02-26-21, 09:01 AM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry, not allowed to post photos
Old 02-26-21, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Sorry, not allowed to post photos
That is solved if you are interested in bikes. If you enjoy bikes post around the forum check out subforms and join in on other currently running discussions pretty soon you have enough posts and you can then post pictures and be a more active member of the forum. No need to just post in one thread and certainly no need to create a bunch of new threads but join in with your other cycling folks here and talk bikes and related topics. It is fun as all get up sometimes and you can learn a lot and maybe teach something on certain topics.
Old 02-27-21, 04:29 PM
cranky old road 

THANK YOU. Your patience and politeness is much valued.
The pictures that were posted were really helpful.
No idea on age of bike though, I bought it as new.
It is the steering tube that has snapped off! (There was NO indication how far I need to put the handlebars in! )
So, if you’re not tired of all this, what do I need to replace please?
ps. I’ll try to post photos
Looks like that was your tenth post so you should be able to post pictures now. If the situation is as I now understand it, a new fork is what you need, and it will most likely need to be professionally installed. I assume the clamp is not permanently attached to the old steerer tube as I can't see how the new fork with its unbroken steerer would be installed with the clamp on. (FYI I have no experience with folding bikes. Although their utility appeals to me I never need to transport my bikes beyond an occasional trip in the back of my car.)
Old 02-28-21, 12:26 AM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photos at last!

This is the whole part I need which branches off into the forks. You can just see where it has sheared off. I’ve ordered a new one.

This is the clamp with, I'm assuming is a bit of the sheared off stem inside.

Thank you once again for all your patience and support.
You might, or might not be pleased to hear, that I will attempt to fix it myself. 🤭
Old 02-28-21, 02:51 PM
cranky old road 

One issue you might have in installing a new fork yourself is the headset bearing race that is pressed onto the fork at the base of the steerer, either removing the old and installing it on the new fork or procuring a replacement compatible with the headset and installing it. Probably easiest to have a bike shop do that.
Old 03-01-21, 12:06 AM
Rockferry42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Yup, sounds like my bike shop will be doing the business then.
Thank you, - especially cranky for your patience.
Old 03-01-21, 09:17 AM
alcjphil

This is the whole part I need which branches off into the forks. You can just see where it has sheared off. I’ve ordered a new one.

This is the clamp with, I'm assuming is a bit of the sheared off stem inside.
The piece that sheared off is the top of the fork steer tube, not the stem. The stem must be inserted well past the threaded portion of the steer tube to prevent this happening again. If your handlebars are not high enough, you will either need a longer stem, or handlebars with more rise

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-02-21 at 11:27 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.