Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

road bike rental in Kauai?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-27-21, 10:58 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Going on a vacation and would love to rent a road bicycle there. I was hoping to bring my pedals, shoes, helmet, lock and bike clothing and ride around the island.

Are there any rental apps or stores you can recommend? I tried craigslist and no luck.

Or if anyone lives on the island and is interested in renting your bike lemme know what you got. I would need a 52-54 size and will be at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Thanks for the help in improving my vacation
Old 07-28-21, 07:07 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Kauai is not developed as much as most of the other islands. The roads are narrow and not bike friendly at all. I have a friend who was an avid bike rider and he moved there about 25 years ago. He ended up selling his bike after being there for only 3 years. He said it was just to scary being out on the roads. On top of that you then have to deal with all the drunk drivers.
Old 07-29-21, 03:31 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Yea, my best friend from school years moved there about twenty years ago. He doesn’t ride anymore because for road bikes it isn’t that safe. The roads from Kapaa where he lives are narrow. He bought a mountain bike but doesn’t really do that either. I have been over there a couple of times to visit and had a great time, but cycling wasn’t something I cared to do while there. It is a great place to visit and vacation, but I don’t think road cycling is on the top of the activities list.
Old 07-29-21, 07:30 AM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I would also not ride on most of the roads on Kauai. Anywhere near Lihue is crazy busy especially during work days. It was so busy the last time we went there that we were reluctant to even drive around much in congested traffic. Parts of Maui are nice for riding - especially Haleakala.
Old 07-29-21, 01:10 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 220 Posts
The 2 big bike shops on Kauai is Brigg.s Bicycle (Lihue, near the port) and Kauai Cycles (Waipoli, part of Kapaa town), at least pre-pandemic. Check web site. Both are reasonably close to the Hilton. Don't know about the current rental status since the bikes shortage and tourist shutdown. Rental bikes were sold off by many shops because of the purchase demand & lack of rental use. Need to call and check.

Kauai is not really big into road bikes, mostly MTB.

Riding is not all doom and gloom on Kauai. If you're experienced at riding and use some caution it can be safe. Going north of the Hilton, it's not too bad, bike path through Kapaa and open highway up to Kilauea area (10 miles one way). South of Lihue is also open highway roads (30 miles). Ask about where to find a safe ride at the bike shop.
Old 07-29-21, 06:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
I was in Kauai a few years ago and rented a bike. I was with my 85 year old mother, so we got a single-speed tandem, but they did have road bikes as well. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the place, but it was near the public beach in Lihue. As others have noted, the main roads are busy. There's really only one road that goes about 3/4 of the way around the island; shorter spur roads lead up into more remote areas in the mountains. I seem to recall that there was an outfit that would drive you and your bike up to the end of Wiamea Canyon (about a mile above sea level; spectacular views), and you could ride your bike down the road back to the coast. Needless to say, that isn't what I rode with my mother! We stayed on a paved bike path that went along the coast out of Lihue, no cars and quite mellow, but only a few miles.