Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Caad 8

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cannondale Caad 8

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 06:10 PM
Steve Lai
CycleofLife

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro, Caad2, 8, 12 and 13, Giant Revolt, Yasujiro Svelte and Dahon foldie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cannondale Caad 8

I bought the above recently. A very nice red colour secondhand bike. I also bought the complete press fit tool, only to find the BB was a Threaded screw square tapered type. This is most surprising. Anyone seen one of this? Is the thread original?

It weighed 9.3kg but I got it down to 8.1kg by replacing all the heavy stuff. The BB weighs a ton!
Now I am on a simple 46T by 11T-34T using a Ultegra and flatbar. It is such a pleasure to ride.
Tell me if you have a threaded BB30!
Old 08-16-21, 06:20 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
I believe the Sora & Claris equipped models had a threaded BB. Not sure if there were any others but some of the more expensive CAAD 8's had BB30.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 08-16-21 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 07:05 PM
Steve Lai
CycleofLife

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro, Caad2, 8, 12 and 13, Giant Revolt, Yasujiro Svelte and Dahon foldie

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You are spot on... Thanks!
The one I bought was a Sora. So that explains it.... But there is nowhere in Cannondale site did I once read of a threaded BB30... so I thot the first buyer threaded it (pretty dicy thing to do).
I was looking to convert to a 24mm spindle and the Lbs suggested putting in an Al alloy adapter he had. But he said the BB shell may need sanding down to fit... Wow, No!

So I had a lucky break.... as I wanted a threaded shell!
Old 08-16-21, 07:23 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
for threaded BB.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-17-21, 02:29 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I'm currently in the final stages of building a CAAD8 for fun. First of all, there were two different CAAD8s - the first was the last (I think) US made Cannondale, last made probably about 2008. The other, which is what I think you have, is a Chinese made frame that was available from around 2014 to 2016. This is the one I'm building. From my understanding, the disc brake models had press fit BBs, and the rim brake models have standard BSA threaded 68mm shells, with whatever BB they wanted to put in there.
Old 08-17-21, 08:03 PM
Steve Lai
CycleofLife

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. That's very useful to know.
I hope the frame is properly made to Cannondale specs.
The original Sq tapered BB & cranks/chainring weighed a ton!
I hv since changed it to a single chainring (46T) and a cassette (11-34T) using Ultegra gear & flatbar shifter. Carbon flatbar & seat post.
I am now down to 8.2kg from it's original 9.1kg and very happy with the ride.
Still waiting for my new 1.4kg wheelset to replace my Fulcrum Racing 3.5. This will bring it to just below 8kg.
That's real good for an Al alloy bike.Alias fox... If you need any links to light parts I used from Aliexpress, do let me know. Bicycle parts are not real very very high tech and both Taiwan & China hv produced some real light & cheaper options.
Now I am looking for a pair of rim brakes at about 220g or less for about US70-80.
Fun a fun thing to customise the bike to a lighter version without any expensive Shimano Dura ace.
Old 08-18-21, 01:33 PM
aliasfox

No need for any more parts, thanks - was able to take some time between meetings to today to finish up most of her mechanicals. I installed the front derailleur yesterday, just had to cut the chain and tune the derailleurs (and derailleur hangar) today - I'm hoping to take her for a quick spin around the neighborhood after my 'real' ride. Assuming everything goes well, I just have to pick bottle cages and finalize her cockpit. I currently have a setback FSA post that I'm using to clamp into the repair stand, but unless there's something surprising about the geometry, that will likely get swapped out for a straight (or minimal setback) seatpost. The Selle Italia saddle is heavy and doesn't match the color scheme, but it's comfy. Both are likely to be swapped out if this bike starts getting significant outdoor time (built her up for fun as a backup and trainer bike). I'm pretty sure she also needs a different stem, as her cockpit's a good 30-40mm shorter than my main bike, but we'll see after I get everything else sorted.

Right now, my 54cm CAAD8 with Campy Zonda wheels, Praxis Zayante 46/32 crank, SRAM Force 22 shifters/derailleurs, Force AXS brakes, and Fizik R1 carbon bar comes to 8.355 kg on my luggage scale, without bottle cages or bar tape.
Old 08-18-21, 05:57 PM
Steve Lai
CycleofLife

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Your 8.355 is good for a 2x drive train.
Your Praxis Zayante crank & Campy wheels must be quite light.
Any info on these 2 items?
I may go back to 2x if I can find lighter stuff. Thanks
Old 08-18-21, 07:19 PM
aliasfox

Originally Posted by Steve Lai
Your 8.355 is good for a 2x drive train.
Your Praxis Zayante crank & Campy wheels must be quite light.
Any info on these 2 items?
I may go back to 2x if I can find lighter stuff. Thanks
The Praxis Zayante (actually, the Zayante-S) is a carbon 2x crankset - and it's actually a 48/32, that was misstatement in the previous post. I picked it because reviews of the SRAM Force crank weren't very good - lightweight, sure, but flexy and with relatively poor shift characteristics relative to R8000, which is what I have on my main bike. If I stayed within the SRAM family, the Red crank got rave reviews, but very pricey; and the Rival crank had no performance advantages over Force (and it shouldn't). The Praxis requires a special BB and BB installation tool, but otherwise is stiff and shifts well. Downsides are that the BB doesn't have very good sealing, and some have commented that wet weather may wash away the grease protecting the bearings. As I rarely ride in the wet, and already have another bike with disc brakes, I don't think that would be a huge concern for me.

The Campagnolo Zondas are advertised at 1540g IIRC, and I measured them on the luggage scale at about ~1750g with skewers, so probably in that ballpark. They're low-profile, low spoke count alloy rim wheels, and I got them mainly because I missed the feeling of lighter weight wheels, and definitely have no desire to go to a carbon rim. For reference, my Bianchi has 1700g Mavic Ksyrium Equipes, which feel a whole heck of a lot lighter than the Vision Team 30 Disc wheels on my Lynskey. Unfortunately, I moved my Bianchi to CA back in 2019 when I had the expectation of riding out there 3-4 weeks a year... then 2020 happened, and I haven't made it out there since.

If you're interested in weight, take a look at SRAM Force or SRAM Red. Force comes in about 400g lighter than Ultegra, and Red comes in lighter than that - though obviously at a price. I built my CAAD8 as "weight interested, not weight weenie," so I know there are places that could a fair amount lighter - were I to switch out pedals (-100g), saddle (-100g), seatpost (-150g), and run nicer tires and latex tubes (-150g), she could pretty easily get under 8kg. Of course, those are the exact components that I either had lying around or wanted to pick up for cheap - the Look X-Track pedals were $55, and I had the other pieces in my parts bin.
Old 09-02-21, 05:16 AM
Steve Lai
CycleofLife

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
The Praxis Zayante (actually, the Zayante-S) is a carbon 2x crankset - and it's actually a 48/32, that was misstatement in the previous post. I picked it because reviews of the SRAM Force crank weren't very good - lightweight, sure, but flexy and with relatively poor shift characteristics relative to R8000, which is what I have on my main bike. If I stayed within the SRAM family, the Red crank got rave reviews, but very pricey; and the Rival crank had no performance advantages over Force (and it shouldn't). The Praxis requires a special BB and BB installation tool, but otherwise is stiff and shifts well. Downsides are that the BB doesn't have very good sealing, and some have commented that wet weather may wash away the grease protecting the bearings. As I rarely ride in the wet, and already have another bike with disc brakes, I don't think that would be a huge concern for me.

The Campagnolo Zondas are advertised at 1540g IIRC, and I measured them on the luggage scale at about ~1750g with skewers, so probably in that ballpark. They're low-profile, low spoke count alloy rim wheels, and I got them mainly because I missed the feeling of lighter weight wheels, and definitely have no desire to go to a carbon rim. For reference, my Bianchi has 1700g Mavic Ksyrium Equipes, which feel a whole heck of a lot lighter than the Vision Team 30 Disc wheels on my Lynskey. Unfortunately, I moved my Bianchi to CA back in 2019 when I had the expectation of riding out there 3-4 weeks a year... then 2020 happened, and I haven't made it out there since.

If you're interested in weight, take a look at SRAM Force or SRAM Red. Force comes in about 400g lighter than Ultegra, and Red comes in lighter than that - though obviously at a price. I built my CAAD8 as "weight interested, not weight weenie," so I know there are places that could a fair amount lighter - were I to switch out pedals (-100g), saddle (-100g), seatpost (-150g), and run nicer tires and latex tubes (-150g), she could pretty easily get under 8kg. Of course, those are the exact components that I either had lying around or wanted to pick up for cheap - the Look X-Track pedals were $55, and I had the other pieces in my parts bin.
Thanks for the info.
I am quite happy with my Caad8 at 7.5kg now.
My China Rim brake Al Alloy is pretty light (1.46kg the pair)... Am using Continental GP5000, 28mm & Vittoria latex tubes. Still waiting for my light Fourier brakes.
Been replacing most of the bolts to Ti alloy type.

Been thinking of Caad 12 or Caad 13 frame and building another bike. Any thots about whether there is going to be a significant difference going from Caad 8 to Caad 12 or Caad 13?

There must be a fair bit of design difference in Caad 12 and particularly Caad 13.
I have seen both frames. The nice Caad 13 is a brand new frame for about US 1.4k. Only problem is many of the structures are "aero" design and quite unique to Cannondale and I won't be able to substitute with equivalent carbon versions from Taiwan/China.