Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Numb feet while riding

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Numb feet while riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 05:02 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Numb feet while riding

I'm 76, ride paved roads and gravel/two tracks. Average ride is 25-35 miles, three or four times a week, average speed 10-12 mph. Around the 15 mile mark, my right foot starts tingling and going numb. Worse on that side but left happens as well. I ride flat pedals. Have tried athletic shoes, Keen low cut hikers, Keen sandals. Took first ride to day with Leatt mountain bike shoes. Seemed better but still an issue around 20-25 miles.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-21, 06:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
1st thought was tight laces. but you've tried various footwear, so I'm guessing your footwear isn't too tight?
Old 07-24-21, 06:56 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

The new shoes aren't broken in, but I don't think they are too tight. Keen sandals and low hikers are comfortable on long hikes, so I don't think it's laces.
Old 07-24-21, 07:49 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I suggest,
1. How tight are the toe boxes in your shoes. Need room for your feet/toes to move
2. When pedaling are your soles flat or pointed at the bottom of your stroke. If you are pointing your toes you should drop your seat a little.
3. Your shoes should be snug at the ankle to prevent your foot from sliding inside your shoes,
4. Trace your foot and verify that your cleat/bar locations align properly with the ball of your foot.

Im not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but this process has always worked for me. Good Winds and Good Rides.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 07-25-21, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I use to have a lot of issues around mile 35 with the forward part of my foot swelling a little and getting painful. I noticed it didn't happen when I had on the cycling socks that were tight on my feet. So ever since, I cycle in compression socks that give my feet a decent amount of compression. SwiftWick are socks I mainly get now, but I've used Specialized and Giro socks also while cycling, though they also have socks that aren't compression socks. I got some Feetures that I use for walking that might work for cycling too. But the pair I got are a blah color. Who want's to cycle in blah colors?

Also, I might suspect that your shoe sole might be flexing too much. Stiff is better IMO.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-25-21 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-25-21, 11:14 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
If your favorite type shoes are Keen then you probably have extra wide feet. Are you accommodating that in your pedal size. I picture of your foot on the pedal might help...
Old 07-26-21, 04:15 PM
Inusuit

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

​​​​​​1. How tight are the toe boxes in your shoes. Need room for your feet/toes to move.
I think there is room, especially in the Keen sandals and the new Leatts.
2. When pedaling are your soles flat or pointed at the bottom of your stroke. If you are pointing your toes you should drop your seat a little.
Soles are flat. With the help of the local bike shop, overall fit of bike(s) to rider is good.

3. Your shoes should be snug at the ankle to prevent your foot from sliding inside your shoes,
Feet are definitely not sliding inside shoes. Sandals are looser, but I'm not aware of movement even with them.

4. Trace your foot and verify that your cleat/bar locations align properly with the ball of your foot.
I'm riding with flat pedals on all three of my bikes.

I cycle in compression socks that give my feet a decent amount of compression.
Interesting. I have compression socks to deal with some occasional swelling in left ankle, not associated with riding. I will definitely try riding with some.

Also, I might suspect that your shoe sole might be flexing too much. Stiff is better IMO.
That's why I bought the Leatts which are stiffer than anything else I've worn while riding. Time will tell. Shoes feel as though they need some breaking in.

​​​​​​
If your favorite type shoes are Keen then you probably have extra wide feet. Are you accommodating that in your pedal size. I picture of your foot on the pedal might help.
I have three different types of pedals. All are wider than my footwear. I do have a high arch and a fat instep.

Again, thanks to all who offered advice and comments.
Old 07-26-21, 10:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If your shoes have removable insoles, try replacing them with ProFoot Miracle insoles. These cost only about $8-$10, well worth the risk to see if they help.

I use those in almost every pair of my cycling, running and walking shoes. I've needed arch support and custom or off the shelf orthotics since I was a kid (very narrow feet and high arches). So sometimes I'll add the ProFoot insoles on top of, or under, the original insoles. Sometimes I'll just replace the original insoles with the ProFoot, including in my clipless cycling shoes and at least one pair of Adidas running shoes.

That resolved my problems with metatarsal hot spots and toe numbness.

The ProFoot Miracle insoles are very lightweight, easy to trim to the desired size and shape, and very resilient. Hard to describe because the foam isn't like anything else I've found in my various running and cycling shoes. Not a memory foam or a gel. It conforms to the heaviest pressure spots, but retains its shape and resilience where needed. They suggest replacing them every 3-6 months but I usually get about a year per set with frequent usage.
Old 07-26-21, 11:43 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I'm 76, ride paved roads and gravel/two tracks. Average ride is 25-35 miles, three or four times a week, average speed 10-12 mph. Around the 15 mile mark, my right foot starts tingling and going numb. Worse on that side but left happens as well. I ride flat pedals. Have tried athletic shoes, Keen low cut hikers, Keen sandals. Took first ride to day with Leatt mountain bike shoes. Seemed better but still an issue around 20-25 miles.

Any thoughts?
Two thoughts:
  1. Do you wear cycling shorts? If not, a belt or waistband on regular pants that is too tight can hinder circulation to your feet. This sounds strange, I know, but this was my personal experience.
  2. I'm not a Doctor, but it may be an indicator of diabetes (T2DM) or being pre-diabetic. With the distances you ride, this seems extremely unlikely but it wouldn't hurt to check.
I hope you figure it out! That's something that would drive a person crazy.
Old 07-27-21, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I cycle in compression socks that give my feet a decent amount of compression.
Interesting. I have compression socks to deal with some occasional swelling in left ankle, not associated with riding. I will definitely try riding with some.
Just to be clear, the compression part is on the foot. Not up the leg and calf as typical compression socks for leg swelling are made.

I don't like my leg muscles to be compressed. My cycling shorts, bibs and pants just fit snug enough to move with me, not compress me. But for feet, that's a different matter. At least to me. YMMV.
Old 07-27-21, 09:29 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I suggest: As an experiment, try mid-foot pedalling.
Old 07-27-21, 09:41 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Hotfoot is a common complaint. I'm not sure this is hotfoot. One thing to try is an insole with a metatarsal bump, which will spread the pressure on your foot better. I've tried this one; it was not a life-changing experience, but maybe bought me 5 extra miles of comfort.

What's been more effective for me is to just get off the bike shortly before I know hotfoot is going to flare up and give my feet a break for a minute.
Old 07-27-21, 05:16 PM
Inusuit

Originally Posted by philbob57
I suggest: As an experiment, try mid-foot pedalling.
I'm trying things you all have suggested. Did 40 miles today on pavement.
Midfoot pedaling with the pedal just behind the ball of my foot did seem to give relief after tingling and numbness started.
Despite my previous statement, I think the laces on the new Leatts were too tight.
I will look for compression socks just for the feet.
Old 09-19-21, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Tingling and numbness are signs of nerve impingement. The effected nerves can either be in your feet or your back. As we age, discs degenerate and unusual positioning, like be being bent on a bike, can contribute to this. I had a back injury several years ago - a pinched disc - and it resulted in tingling in my feet and numbness. If you have had any spine injuries, this could possibly be a culprit or just aging discs. You could cycle in clown shoes with all the room in the world, but if you still get the sensation, it’s probably your back. A neurologist would be able to tell, but not necessarily help. You may need to have more upright bars. Hopefully I am wrong as it is just your feet, but your symptoms tell me otherwise. Best luck.

Likes For rsbob: