Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shipping issues from China vs. new bike build

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-30-21, 06:54 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts

I currently ride a bike I built up during the Covid lockdown.

I did some research and read a lot of road reviews, knowing that some of the Chinese carbon framesets are, well, as they say, "you get what you pay for". I decided to order one from ICAN cycling - a model A8 for rim brakes, as I had a nice set of Boyd carbon wheels in rim brake version. It finally arrived after about 6 weeks, and I finished it up with Ultegra Di2 with internally wired alloy bars (Richey aero.) I had my LBS tech install the BB and headset, and he was very impressed with the quality of the frameset. I have about a thousand miles on it now, and I have to say I'm very happy with it.
Now, it looks like we're coming into "Lockdown, Part 2 - the Delta Variant" with many group rides being curtailed or cancelled again.

Today, I got an email from ICAN. They are having a sale on their A9 frameset in disc brake version. And, of course, Shimano is introducing their Ultegra 12 speed semi-wireless group, meaning I could use the Whiskey CF bars I have and not have to deal with external wiring. To top it off, Boyd is giving 20% of a set of CF wheels during their trade-in program (any set of wheels you trade in, they check them over and give them to junior racers) and I just happen to have a set of alloy Easton wheels here.

So, why am I not pulling the trigger? With the shipping delays from China, I would probably have a really nice pair of Boyd wheels, and some Whiskey bars waiting for the rest of the bike to arrive for - who knows how long? I'm afraid that during that waiting period, I may come to my senses and realize that I don't need another bike. It's certainly not going to make me any faster (at almost 70, I describe the A8 as a Ferrari with a lawn mower engine powering it.)

Having my second cup of coffee, mulling things over.
Old 09-30-21, 07:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Totally a personal choice issue.

I would upgrade if I had the cash because I am not thrilled with CF rims and rim brakes. I'd throw the Eastons on the A8 and use it for an alternate.

If I had unlimited cash and I could convince the wife that I need another another new bike .....

I'd get to ride the A8 until the A9 arrived and then i could ride them both.
Old 09-30-21, 07:59 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
You're probably not getting your hands on a Shimano 12 speed groupset for a while either, for what it's worth.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-30-21, 08:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If you are in a position to buy 12sp Di2, Boyd wheels, etc- just buy everything and keep riding your current bike while you wait. Sure, you will have some wheels and a component or two early and they will sit. Then you will have a frame and it too can sit until you have everything.
I certainly dont want to sound like I am spending someone else's money, but thats the point of the thread so I guess its fair game. I would think someone contemplating this could easily afford to keep their current bike. If that isnt the case, is changing to 12sp really the best thing to do?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-30-21, 09:59 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If you are in a position to buy 12sp Di2, Boyd wheels, etc- just buy everything and keep riding your current bike while you wait. Sure, you will have some wheels and a component or two early and they will sit. Then you will have a frame and it too can sit until you have everything.
I certainly dont want to sound like I am spending someone else's money, but thats the point of the thread so I guess its fair game. I would think someone contemplating this could easily afford to keep their current bike. If that isnt the case, is changing to 12sp really the best thing to do?
It's really just that nagging feeling you get when you buy the latest and greatest thing, and then right after, something new and better comes out. I think I'd really be better off just upgrading to a direct drive indoor smart trainer and spending more time on Zwift this winter. Maybe by spring, the A8 will have a little more horsepower in the engine.

However, if someone is seriously considering a build, the ICAN frameset is a really good buy at just under $1K. And, 20% off Boyd wheels is nothing to sneeze at, either.
(1) Disc Road Bike Frame A9 | ICAN Cycling
Old 09-30-21, 10:06 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Ride what you got and don't worry about having the latest and greatest because before too long it will be outdated anyway. When you get older and think about all the money you could have blown just to have the latest stuff of anything, not just cycling, you'll be glad you were one of the smart ones. Unlike others such as me.

And like someone said, you'll probably have a 20 year wait to get your hands on the new Ultegra.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 09-30-21, 12:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Shoot. I am still riding DA 9000 from something like 6 years ago. The wheels are older than that.
Old 09-30-21, 03:29 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Don't quite get the sentiment. What does the upgrade give you?

So far you've listed all the discounts available. But what's the benefit of the new bike?
Old 09-30-21, 09:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by atnyc
Don't quite get the sentiment. What does the upgrade give you?

So far you've listed all the discounts available. But what's the benefit of the new bike?
OP gets the "Latest,. greatest" drivetrain and goes to disc brakes, which is probably a good idea with CF rims.
Old 10-01-21, 12:22 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Ride what you got and don't worry about having the latest and greatest because before too long it will be outdated anyway. When you get older and think about all the money you could have blown just to have the latest stuff of anything, not just cycling, you'll be glad you were one of the smart ones. Unlike others such as me.

And like someone said, you'll probably have a 20 year wait to get your hands on the new Ultegra.
Well then, that settles it! At almost 70 years old now, when I get "older" and think about all the money I could have blown, I probably won't remember it anyway. And, if it takes 20 years before Ultegra 12 speed is available, I'll have the fastest, coolest casket at the funeral home!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-02-21, 02:05 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Well then, that settles it! At almost 70 years old now, when I get "older" and think about all the money I could have blown, I probably won't remember it anyway. And, if it takes 20 years before Ultegra 12 speed is available, I'll have the fastest, coolest casket at the funeral home!
You've aged well. When someone has just built up a nice carbon bike with di2 and is pondering building up another one because some other new stuff just came out, well that normally comes from a 22 year old who is deep in the struggles of the upgrade addiction
Old 10-02-21, 07:27 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Lazyass
You've aged well. When someone has just built up a nice carbon bike with di2 and is pondering building up another one because some other new stuff just came out, well that normally comes from a 22 year old who is deep in the struggles of the upgrade addiction
The upgrade addiction never ends, believe me. The difference is that, at my age, the upgrades just make you look much faster at the rest stops.

Oh, to have the legs, lungs, and heart I had when I was racing at 22... and by the way, GET OFF MY LAWN!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-02-21, 10:03 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Glad you came to your senses ! LOL!
Say YES to everything.
...although Old Age consumerism isn;t any better than the younger version...
... I just sortta did the same... except I chose to buy all 'gently' used stuff for a very gently used Tarmac SL4... stuff already in the 'use' cycle...
a very small, prolly insignificant gesture to the over-all trouble the planet is in...
, but driving my car even less than my former low miles, and riding, again, way more... !!
if at 70+ we're anxious to get out and spin a few hours away - can't think of a better way to age...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-02-21, 11:24 AM
anga

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I would probably just order the frame and wait on everything else, say till COVID ends.
Old 10-03-21, 07:55 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
OP gets the "Latest,. greatest" drivetrain and goes to disc brakes, which is probably a good idea with CF rims.
While the "latest" (of every product) is pointless, only the "greatest" would be justified, but only if the benefit applies to the owner.

In this case, the only benefit so far identified is the disc brake. Assuming the owner's regular route consists of many long steep descends, that may make a bit of sense.

For the OP, whose money is burning a hole in his pocket, I would strongly suggest instead to put the money towards a high end e-bike. That would upgrade the one thing he really benefits, the under powered "lawn mower engine"!

The last thing the OP needs is better brakes.

Last edited by atnyc; 10-03-21 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-04-21, 08:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I decided to order one from ICAN cycling .. and I have to say I'm very happy with it.

So, why am I not pulling the trigger?

Your restlessness is a symptom of something more serious. Why would you need another bike? What emotional need is it fulfilling, and would there be a healthier way to address this need?

Also, what are your financial goals? Are you currently "on plan" with regard to savings and investments? Do you have 6-12 months of cash reserves? Do you have dependents (like a spouse or children) with whom you've discussed this before coming here?

These would be my concerns about question. PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-04-21, 09:20 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Your restlessness is a symptom of something more serious. Why would you need another bike? What emotional need is it fulfilling, and would there be a healthier way to address this need?

Also, what are your financial goals? Are you currently "on plan" with regard to savings and investments? Do you have 6-12 months of cash reserves? Do you have dependents (like a spouse or children) with whom you've discussed this before coming here?

These would be my concerns about question. PG
Why, thank you, Dr. Phil! I'm touched at your concerns for my mental and emotional health, not to mention my financial well-being.
You have listed six bicycles you have owned or currently own. Do you have some trust issues with bikes? Do you have problems with maintaining a committed relationship with a bike? Are you financially capable of supporting all those bicycles?
Maybe I am just considering building another bike because I enjoyed building the A8 and learning about Di2. Could be the inquisitive nature in me. Besides, it keeps me busy. You know, idle hands are the devils workshop, and the devils workshop is the meth lab out in the shed that supports me financially. My 6-12 months of cash reserves are buried in old coffee cans in various places in the yard, next to the spouse and children.
Any more questions? I'll be happy to answer them for you. Not honestly, but with more total sarcasm, of course. Good grief.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-04-21, 10:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You have listed six bicycles you have owned or currently own. Are you financially capable of supporting all those bicycles?

Thank you for asking. I prefer to think about my arrangement more in the realm of "sister bikes", with whom I have ongoing intimate relations. They cooperate with the bike chores, as I decide. I try to pay attention to each, and I'm in a committed relationship, except when someone comes along with a better offer, then...well.

Downsizing for my imminent retirement move, so I have one more to sell (at least).
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-04-21, 10:32 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Downsizing for my imminent retirement move, so I have one more to sell (at least).
How much for the brunette?
Likes For Bald Paul: