Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I get aluminum rims for 79 Le Tour?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should I get aluminum rims for 79 Le Tour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-21, 09:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Of course he can cold-set the frame to 130 if he desires.
Old 10-08-21, 09:14 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
From the site listing history for the Le Tour models: https://bikehistory.org/bikes/letour/ for the 1979 Le Tour...

I was a bit surprised to see that Schwinn used chrome steel wheels on these bikes as it was an easy way to lighten the weight of the wheels and thus the whole bike by using aluminum rims...
I was kind of surprised at first, too. But note that they offered the Super Le Tour with aluminum rims starting in 1976. So they were able to sell aluminum rims as a premium option until about 1983 when they finally trickled down into the base model. Schwinn knew how to work a tiered product line!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-08-21, 09:18 AM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Oh shoot - one issue. I see that wheelset - https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=739 - has rims drilled for presta valves. I just got tires put on that I'm sure are schraeder valves. Is this a problem I can work around?
Old 10-08-21, 09:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by ciclista_pazza
Oh shoot - one issue. I see that wheelset - https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=739 - has rims drilled for presta valves. I just got tires put on that I'm sure are schraeder valves. Is this a problem I can work around?
The valves are part of the tubes, not the tires. You can either buy Presta tubes, or drill out the rims for Schrader valves.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 09:23 AM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The valves are part of the tubes, not the tires. You can either buy Presta tubes, or drill out the rims for Schrader valves.
Great - thanks! I actually just got puncture resistant tubes, so will have to do the drilling option. Is that drilling out the rims for Schrader valves something most bike shops can do?
Old 10-08-21, 09:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I was kind of surprised at first, too. But note that they offered the Super Le Tour with aluminum rims starting in 1976. So they were able to sell aluminum rims as a premium option until about 1983 when they finally trickled down into the base model. Schwinn knew how to work a tiered product line!
Yes, aluminum rims were a big selling point back then. Most brands did this. Sometimes it was difficult to convince someone the extra $20 was worth it (okay, don't really remember the $ difference).

We nominally were a Schwinn dealer in the late '70s, but we mostly sold Le Tour/Super Le Tour. It was a pretty good bike at the time, it wasn't really tired at all. Steel rims were still very common.
We did sell the occasional Varsity, which was definitely a tired product. And _very_ expensive, more than a Super Le Tour. $1000 in today's dollars.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-08-21, 09:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Yes, aluminum rims were a big selling point back then. Most brands did this. Sometimes it was difficult to convince someone the extra $20 was worth it (okay, don't really remember the $ difference).

We nominally were a Schwinn dealer in the late '70s, but we mostly sold Le Tour/Super Le Tour. It was a pretty good bike at the time, it wasn't really tired at all. Steel rims were still very common.
We did sell the occasional Varsity, which was definitely a tired product. And _very_ expensive, more than a Super Le Tour. $1000 in today's dollars.
I really did mean to type "tiered" and not "tired."
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 09:59 AM
ciclista_pazza

What about this poster's comment from a 2017 thread where they say (regarding putting aluminum wheels on a vintage bike):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch View Post
"Bike old enough to have steel wheels is likely not to have a hook bead, if clincher, so not compatible with hook bead tires which are 99.99% of the market in US."

"Worse, the bead tires will work, sort of, maybe, if you are lucky. But if you aren't, the pressure to keep the tire from pinch flatting will be above the pressure needed to keep the tire seated. There's about a revolution and a half between unseating and BANG."
(from this thread - https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...els-weigh.html)

Do I need to worry about what they are saying about my vintage bike not having a hook bead and this being an issue? Sorry the questions keep coming. Hopefully this is the last one.
Old 10-08-21, 10:06 AM
ciclista_pazza

Nevermind my question above. I think that's just about tires and probably not relevant. I think I'm probably all set. Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-08-21, 10:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Or buy a donor bike with straight alloy 27" rims and get a bunch of extra parts included.

​​​​​​https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...377536391.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-08-21, 10:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

What about this poster's comment from a 2017 thread where they say (regarding putting aluminum wheels on a vintage bike):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch View Post
"Bike old enough to have steel wheels is likely not to have a hook bead, if clincher, so not compatible with hook bead tires which are 99.99% of the market in US."

"Worse, the bead tires will work, sort of, maybe, if you are lucky. But if you aren't, the pressure to keep the tire from pinch flatting will be above the pressure needed to keep the tire seated. There's about a revolution and a half between unseating and BANG."
(from this thread - https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...els-weigh.html)

Do I need to worry about what they are saying about my vintage bike not having a hook bead and this being an issue? Sorry the questions keep coming. Hopefully this is the last one.
Your old steel rims probably don't have bead hooks, which is one reason "we" generally try to talk people into upgrading to new aluminum rims, which would have bead hooks. Unhooked rims can work fine as long as you're careful about tire pressure, but hooks give a margin of safety for keeping tires mounted.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 10:15 AM
ciclista_pazza

Your old steel rims probably don't have bead hooks, which is one reason "we" generally try to talk people into upgrading to new aluminum rims, which would have bead hooks. Unhooked rims can work fine as long as you're careful about tire pressure, but hooks give a margin of safety for keeping tires mounted.
Oh, I get it now. This has all been so helpful. Thanks!!
Likes For ciclista_pazza:
Old 10-08-21, 10:17 AM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by dedhed
Or buy a donor bike with straight alloy 27" rims and get a bunch of extra parts included.

​​​​​​https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...377536391.html
Wow - good idea. That would have been smart! I just bought the wheelset so guess that's that for now but good to know for next time. I'm really excited to use those aluminum wheels on the bike!
Old 10-08-21, 11:35 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
If you do any riding in wet conditions, aluminum rims will give you far better braking performance than steel rims. Going to aluminum rims was probably the best upgrade I did on my commuter bike.

27" rims are not abundant these days, but you may be able to find pre-built 27" wheels more easily, either new or used from a bike shop or coop. Failing that, you may be able to run 700C wheels simply by lowering your brake pads by 4mm to reach the rim. If your brake calipers won't allow that, there are long reach calipers that can do the job.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-08-21, 12:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I converted my '84 Raleigh from 27" to 700c. I found I didn't need long-reach brakes--105s offered me enough adjustment range (and I don't doubt they are better than the Tektro long-arms I bought, thinking I'd need them.) But ... if you choose to go this route you will probably want to open up the rear triangle 4 mm.

There is a process called "cold-setting" whereby you spread the dropouts gently and gradually until they stay at 130 mm (or whatever dimension you want.) It has to be done very carefully to maintain alignment. Check Sheldon Brown's site and various YouTuberies to find what you need.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-08-21, 02:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You do not need to take the wheels to a bike shop if you have a drill and a set of drill bits. Just select the bit that is a tad larger than the diameter of the Schrader valve body (0.31") so use a 5/16" drill bit. Just be sure to deburr the hole with a round file. I had a hard time finding a tube with a Schrader valve to measure because I haven't used anything but presta valves for a very long time. The reason is that I find it easier to pump up a high pressure tire with a hand pump with presta versus Schrader.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-08-21, 02:26 PM
Maelochs

I was going to advise him to invest in an new set of tubes instead of poking holes in his brand new rims .... less chance of making a catastrophic mistake.

A couple tubes is what $10 ... maybe $20 for the really thick ones? (I hope not.) One the other hand, if the drill slips ..... or the hole is off-center and cuts into the valve stem ....
Old 10-08-21, 02:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

^ Her.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 03:35 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Cool! I'm ok with sticking to 27" tires/wheels. So does what you're saying about my bike mean I can put this wheelset on - https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=739 - with no issues? The poster above said I need a 5, 6 or 7 speed for that wheelset to work. You said this Schwinn is 12-speed but also mentioned 6 speed freewheel. I don't know whether the requirements for that wheelset that it be 5, 6 or 7 speed is referring to the freewheel (6 speed) or the bike (12 speed). Is that something you or another poster can clarify? If so, I'm ready to buy that wheelset.

Update - nevermind - I see in the link for that wheelset that it is referring to the freewheel. Great. Looks like that will work. Thanks for everyone's feedback! This was all very educational for me too.
If y our frame has 126mm between the inside faces of the dropouts those alloy wheels will be a drop in fit. The 5,6 or 7 speed in the listing was for which freewheels could be used.

If you've bought the alloy wheelset then you don't need the gray Kool Stop brake pads.

Presta valve tubes are a lot easier to pump to 90 to 100 (or higher) PSI that are Schrader. If I wasn't familiar with working on bicycles I'd get THREE Presta valve tubes. The third one goes in the seatbag as a spare so that if you puncture you don't have to fiddle with trying to repair a tube on the side of the road on a hot or rainy day. Sometimes t he hole in the tube is very hard to find. Put a cotton ball in your repair kit and drag that cotton ball along the inside of the tire when you get a flat. the cotton will snag on anything sharp protruding into the inner carcass of the tire and it's easier than using your thumb.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-09-21, 01:54 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
No, I think they knew what I meant. Unfortunately, at the bike shop I bought the bike from, the guy said he'd never heard of the issue with steel tires being an issue with braking in the rain. That bothered me a lot since even I know that and I know next to nothing about bike mechanics! So I think he just didn't realize the importance of changing to aluminum.
My mid 1970’s Schwinn Varsity stopped just fine in the rain, snow, and every other kind of condition.
It’s not an issue unless you make it an issue.
Old 10-09-21, 06:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Great - thanks! I actually just got puncture resistant tubes, so will have to do the drilling option. Is that drilling out the rims for Schrader valves something most bike shops can do?
I just use a tapered hand reamer. Takes only a few seconds for each rim. You could probably buy a reamer at Harbor Freight or a hardware store for less than a bike shop would have to charge you to do the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hozan-tapered-reamer.jpg (57.3 KB, 27 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-09-21, 07:03 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
My mid 1970’s Schwinn Varsity stopped just fine in the rain, snow, and every other kind of condition.
It’s not an issue unless you make it an issue.
yeah .... coefficient of friction is only a thing if ... say ... you need to stop in a hurry.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-09-21, 07:42 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah .... coefficient of friction is only a thing if ... say ... you need to stop in a hurry.
My bad.
I guess your bike skills are such that you quite often have to jam on the brakes, so you can appreciate small differences in real world stopping power.
How did anyone survive before aluminum rims and disc brakes
Old 10-09-21, 08:20 AM
Maelochs

[QUOTE=downhillmaster;22263392] I guess your bike skills are such that you quite often have to jam on the brakes, so you can appreciate small differences in real world stopping power. Try urban commuting in a wet environment .... learn or die.
How did anyone survive before aluminum rims and disc brakes
I imagine the either rode more slowly or had more accidents or both.

I mean, why have brakes at all? The early bikes didn't have brakes? Oh, noes!! How did anyone survive with no brakes???!!! Definitely, you should take the brakes off your bike. I guess your bike skills are such that you can ride like the heroes of old, eh?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-09-21, 09:03 AM
downhillmaster

[QUOTE=Maelochs;22263447]
I guess your bike skills are such that you quite often have to jam on the brakes, so you can appreciate small differences in real world stopping power. Try urban commuting in a wet environment .... learn or die. I imagine the either rode more slowly or had more accidents or both.

I mean, why have brakes at all? The early bikes didn't have brakes? Oh, noes!! How did anyone survive with no brakes???!!! Definitely, you should take the brakes off your bike. I guess your bike skills are such that you can ride like the heroes of old, eh?
Uh oh, somebody is all worked up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.