Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Upgraded the Schwinn 684 today.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 07:20 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts

Well, I've had this listed locally for a few months since I got it back from my son. Lot's of people that wanted to "come see it", but no one ever showed up. So today after killing the knees moving wood and garden stuff I decided to got ahead and put some STI shifters on it. Originally I was going to stick to the stock Sakae stem and handlebars but then decided to go with some Soma Hwy Ones I had on hand. My thinking is if it still doesn't sell I use this one as my winter ride. I polished up the Sakae stem but it just could not pass over the tight curves on the Soma bars. So I grabbed a new Cinelli stem out of my parts bin. Finished it up with a nice Jagwire housing and cable kit. Oh, and grabbed a white Selle Italia Saddle out of a parts box too. I also went ahead and threw a new KMC chain on it.

As finished for now. I'll have to put some Look Keo's on this to ride it.

The Soma HWY One bars with new Sram cork tape and the new shifters

Changed in this saddle too.

The new setup

I don't remember if these are new or just like new.

As usual took me forever and a few mistakes to sort this out. Not to mention constantly losing the tools I was working with. Enough issues with my wandering mind to reconfirm that I am done trying to do things with the bikes. I won't get into all the issues but it just get's so frustrating to not being to stay focused enough to do something as simple as this.

Anyway, a few sorta surprises doing this. . Found the original white handlebar tape under the black tape on this.

And then I hadn't really noticed or considered the bosses for the original DT shifters. They are something a bit different too.

Orientation is different each side

Appears to be bonded into the frame

The adapter spacer for the original ST shifter.

So for now I think I'm done with this.

As a point of reference, this is how the bike looked when I picked it up years ago. I never got a fair shake on this one as my one son "stole" it from me for a few years.

Old 10-17-21, 07:22 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
This is how I had it set up when my son took off with it.

The paint looks better in these pics than it really is. The paint is the week part of this one.
Old 10-17-21, 08:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
tl;dr "A bunch of things fell through, so I guess I'll build up another killer bike."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-18-21, 05:42 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
I picked up a 564 locally that had been trashed as a winter commuter. Had my local powdercoat guy refinish it and got new graphics from Velocals:

the white tires are long gone.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 10-18-21, 07:48 AM
Econops

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That bike is gorgeous! This thread certainly isn't helping me sell my 594. I listed it on CL a few months ago and not a single person has asked about it. I'm tempted to change the stem out and keep it as my winter bike. It's a little small for me, but just big enough to work. I didn't plan on keeping it, but if nobody wants it... why not, right?

Old 10-19-21, 11:16 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
These remind me of my Klein, and so would seem to be good candidates for upgrading, perhaps to ten-speed IF the bike has a 7s Shimano cassette hub on it with the fixed 126mm frame spacing.

I recently found a pearl-white Schwinn 754 in unused condition, but that is the smallest size and that I thus can't ride. I put it under a tarp for Sunday night's rain, but should perhaps go out and take a picture(s) of it, maybe list it here or on CL I guess.
Old 10-19-21, 11:21 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
These remind me of my Klein, and so would seem to be good candidates for upgrading, perhaps to ten-speed IF the bike has a 7s Shimano cassette hub on it with the fixed 126mm frame spacing.
FWIW, Schwinn licensed Klein's patent to build these.

Likes For top506: