Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this Selle Anatomica saddle color

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 12:55 PM
Froyd Stellar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 5 Posts

I am looking for a new saddle in a color similar to what Brooks would call Honey. In particular, I've been looking at Selle Anatomica saddles, but currently they don't offer anything in Honey or ever classic brown. Their color choices in 2021 are black, "tool", and oxblood. I found the photo below of an older SA saddle in the color I like and I wanted to run some searches to see if I can find one NOS or lightly used...however, I don't know what Selle calls this color. Anyone remembers?

EDIT: Never mind about the attached picture, Bike Forum won't allow me to post it until I have 10 posts under my belt but it was an image of an X saddle (possibly X2) in a color very close to Brooks Honey.
Old 10-07-21, 01:02 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Look at their website.

There's only one color close to that, but I don't remember the name. Other than that, there's usually black, oxblood (deep red), white (titanico saddles, usually) and "tool leather" for the H series saddles. Tool has variations in browns from untanned to a very dark brown.
Old 10-07-21, 02:07 PM
Froyd Stellar

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Look at their website.

There's only one color close to that, but I don't remember the name. Other than that, there's usually black, oxblood (deep red), white (titanico saddles, usually) and "tool leather" for the H series saddles. Tool has variations in browns from untanned to a very dark brown.
Thanks, but the color I'm talking about is not in their 2021 assortment. It's an older color for which I don't know the name, but it was similar to Honey.
Old 10-07-21, 02:31 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

...Shoot, I see that now.

I went to go look at the saddle I have in that color, and SA called it "vintage". My 2 cents? These are frequently available on eBay, and seem to go for a 25% discount used. Both my X1 and X2 saddles were bought that way (with the X2 coming with the carbon rail upgrade and the saddle sauce).

These are amazingly comfortable for riding with or without a chamois. The slot is obvious if you're in loose fitting underwear and shorts though .
Old 10-07-21, 02:35 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
OP photo assist...
Old 10-07-21, 02:43 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
There is an Oxblood Brooks?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-07-21, 04:47 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
There is an Oxblood Brooks?

Mhm, and navy and olive too.
https://www.electricwheelsco.com/pro...leather-saddle
Old 10-08-21, 06:02 AM
Froyd Stellar

...Shoot, I see that now.

I went to go look at the saddle I have in that color, and SA called it "vintage". My 2 cents? These are frequently available on eBay, and seem to go for a 25% discount used. Both my X1 and X2 saddles were bought that way (with the X2 coming with the carbon rail upgrade and the saddle sauce).

These are amazingly comfortable for riding with or without a chamois. The slot is obvious if you're in loose fitting underwear and shorts though .
Yes, that's the one! VINTAGE... That will be a fun word to use in search engines. I can only imagine the multitude of irrelevant results that will come up!

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-21, 06:42 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by Froyd Stellar
Yes, that's the one! VINTAGE... That will be a fun word to use in search engines. I can only imagine the multitude of irrelevant results that will come up!

Thanks for the help!
Ebay will let you search on the common color name, assuming the seller added it correctly.
Old 10-10-21, 12:44 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I am looking for a new saddle in a color similar to what Brooks would call Honey. In particular, I've been looking at Selle Anatomica saddles, but currently they don't offer anything in Honey or ever classic brown. Their color choices in 2021 are black, "tool", and oxblood. I found the photo below of an older SA saddle in the color I like and I wanted to run some searches to see if I can find one NOS or lightly used...however, I don't know what Selle calls this color. Anyone remembers?

EDIT: Never mind about the attached picture, Bike Forum won't allow me to post it until I have 10 posts under my belt but it was an image of an X saddle (possibly X2) in a color very close to Brooks Honey.
I have both this saddle color and the bar tape that matches it. I finally found the bar tape bag and the color, when it was sold new, was called "Golden".
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 10-11-21, 08:45 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Yes, Selle AnaTomica changes things seemingly by whim sometimes. I have a few Brookses which I would describe as just natural leather. I think that may have been their name when I bought them. They are known to turn more golden as they age and are used - application of Proofide, exposure to the sun, compression of the surface due just riding, and exposure to perspiration because of, well, your sitting on it! I've always thought this color change is a good thing.

S-A now has the Tool leather and it had the same natural color that I recall from the Brooks naturals, and I have an H in that "finish," or whatever it really is. The Tool leather also darkens with time, and also looks great.

I know S-A used to have a wide range of colors, which they no longer seem to offer. I think they should just focus on black, dark brown, and natural. I know having unnecessary part numbers is a cost for a mass-production operation.
Old 10-21-21, 11:44 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

This popped up in my saved searches today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Selle-Anato...-127632-2357-0
Old 10-21-21, 07:01 PM
Froyd Stellar

This popped up in my saved searches today.
Thank you so much for the link! Unfortunately I was not patient enough and I found an H2 in the Vintage colorway I wanted and went for it. I weigh between 150 and 155, so the X2 would have been a better fit, but I read a review from an X2 rider who tried an H2 and did not experience a big loss in comfort. Let's hope!

Old 10-22-21, 06:48 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Thank you so much for the link! Unfortunately I was not patient enough and I found an H2 in the Vintage colorway I wanted and went for it. I weigh between 150 and 155, so the X2 would have been a better fit, but I read a review from an X2 rider who tried an H2 and did not experience a big loss in comfort. Let's hope!

SA used to recommend the H series over the X series for heavier use, like regular all-day riding. Congratulations on finding your saddle!