Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Schwinn

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Schwinn

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 08:15 AM
Bmdvpro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mystery Schwinn

I purchased this bike over 10 years ago and have never been able to fully determine the year this bike was made. I've done a fair amount of research, but due to the head badge being completely worn and discrepancies between info I can find online, whether in catalogs or forums, and on the bike itself I've never been able to identify it. I've since restored this bike twice and am once again curious to the model year because I'm looking to upgrade the drive train / cockpit this time and want to make sure to get the correct sized components. The only serial number I could find was vertically on the seat tube of: G6004174. At first I assumed that meant a 74 or 84, but neither of those years had red World Sports. Also, the Schwinn serial finder did not find any returns. By the look of the bike (at the time) I'd be willing to wager that the red was the OEM paint job and the decals were original. I wanted to tap the extensive knowledge of the people here and see if anyone could help shed light as to what year this bike is from. I can't post a photo due to forum rules, but I have some if needed. Thanks.
Old 10-20-21, 08:38 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
My guess is a contract-made from Taiwan. The serial number seems to fit that format. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html

1980 Schwinn World Sport catalog image

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 10-20-21 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-20-21, 09:41 AM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmdvpro
I purchased this bike over 10 years ago and have never been able to fully determine the year this bike was made. I've done a fair amount of research, but due to the head badge being completely worn and discrepancies between info I can find online, whether in catalogs or forums, and on the bike itself I've never been able to identify it. I've since restored this bike twice and am once again curious to the model year because I'm looking to upgrade the drive train / cockpit this time and want to make sure to get the correct sized components. The only serial number I could find was vertically on the seat tube of: G6004174. At first I assumed that meant a 74 or 84, but neither of those years had red World Sports. Also, the Schwinn serial finder did not find any returns. By the look of the bike (at the time) I'd be willing to wager that the red was the OEM paint job and the decals were original. I wanted to tap the extensive knowledge of the people here and see if anyone could help shed light as to what year this bike is from. I can't post a photo due to forum rules, but I have some if needed. Thanks.
Hello...Just guessing here without a picture but Giant made bikes for Schwinn with the prefix G, could it be an 86?

Old 10-20-21, 10:34 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Picture Assistance

... I can't post a photo due to forum rules, but I have some if needed. Thanks.
Old 10-20-21, 12:16 PM
Bmdvpro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think that's it! Thanks so much.
Old 10-20-21, 12:54 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That's not a Giant serial number format, unless the third character is an "oh", as opposed to a "zero". Typically, an "oh" and "zero" has two distinctive shapes. It could also represent a July 1986 manufacturing date for a Greensville Schwinn. Either way, it was built built around the same time in 1986 and late enough in the calendar year that it could be a 1987 model. Another thing to check, is for a country of origin label. A Giant product would be from Taiwan, while a Greensville product would be from the USA.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-20-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-20-21, 01:11 PM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
That's not a Giant serial number format, unless the third character is an "oh", as opposed to a "zero". Typically, an "oh" and "zero" has two distinctive shapes. It could also represent a July 1986 manufacturing date for a Greensville Schwinn. Either way, it was built built around the same time in 1986 and late enough in the calendar year that it could be a 1987 model. Another thing to check, is for a country of origin label. A Giant product would be from Taiwan, while a Greensville product would be from the USA.
Thanks for the correction T-Mar! I think we all helped ID the bike correctly
Old 10-23-21, 01:09 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
. . . The only serial number I could find was vertically on the seat tube of: G6004174.
Originally Posted by Santuri32
Hello...Just guessing here without a picture but Giant made bikes for Schwinn with the prefix G, could it be an 86?
You are correct @Santuri32. The serial number is a Giant format serial number.

This format and location of Giant serial number has been seen on Nishiki brand bicycles.

I have explained this format of serial number in this post:

https://www.bikeforums.net/22001756-post2376.html

The G is for Giant and the first digit 6 is for the year of frame manufacture. For the Nishiki models with this format of serial number all the bicycles that I have seen were 1987 model year.

Here is a link to another bicycle with this format of serial number from member @brysons:

https://www.bikeforums.net/14234098-post827.html
Old 10-23-21, 03:46 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 369 Posts
This seems like a perfect coincidence.
Last week I bought an '88 Tempo because I wanted a Greensville Schwinn. Had all the proper hints, right paint, 0348 stamp on a Chicago badge, but no "made in" marking.
When I went to the Asian Serial Number guide, the number K609444 seemed to point at Bridgestone. Can I assume that it could (and most likely) just be a similarity between the formats and it is Greenville?

Old 10-23-21, 03:59 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Last week I bought an '88 Tempo because I wanted a Greensville Schwinn. Had all the proper hints, right paint, 0348 stamp on a Chicago badge, but no "made in" marking.
When I went to the Asian Serial Number guide, the number K609444 seemed to point at Bridgestone. Can I assume that it could (and most likely) just be a similarity between the formats and it is Greenville?
Should be Greenville.

Old 10-23-21, 07:13 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
The Greensville format is similar to Bridgestone's and the two are easily mistaken. However, based on my current understanding of their format, that serial number should represent November 1986, which would make it a 1987 model. Yet, those are clearly 1988 decals and it has the New 105 headset upgrade, which was also 1988 model year.
Old 10-24-21, 01:12 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 369 Posts
I'm worried about the OP's bike being a Greenville.
World Sport isn't included in the '86 article, and "World" anything seemed to be an early tip off from Schwinn that the bike was imported.
I wonder if there is a style or position difference in the serial numbers?