Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do XT cassettes last longer?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-08-21, 04:59 PM
stratman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I run nine speed triple on a road bike. I'm keen to future proof my set up, so have bought spare derailleurs, shifters. What I haven't stocked up on is spare cassettes (or chains). There are still some XT M770 cassettes available. They are about double the price of available Sora (HG50?) cassettes. Will they last twice as long? Or are there any other reasons to pay the extra? My rear shifts are perfect at the moment, on a Sora cassette with M772 RD.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-21, 05:10 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by stratman
I run nine speed triple on a road bike. I'm keen to future proof my set up, so have bought spare derailleurs, shifters. What I haven't stocked up on is spare cassettes (or chains). There are still some XT M770 cassettes available. They are about double the price of available Sora (HG50?) cassettes. Will they last twice as long? Or are there any other reasons to pay the extra? My rear shifts are perfect at the moment, on a Sora cassette with M772 RD.
Thanks.
Performance and durability will be about the same. What you're paying for is lighter weight usually. Pricier Shimano cassettes will have cogs riveted to aluminum carriers and better finishing/plating requiring more complex manufacturing ($$$) but the teeth are much the same.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 10-11-21 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-08-21, 06:10 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
A quick Google search turned up dozens of listings for 9-speed cassettes from Shimano, SRAM and a couple of lesser known brands in a variety of quality levels from HG50 up to Ultegra. Even Amazon lists them so I wouldn't worry about future supply problems. For that matter, even 7 and 8-speed cassettes are still fairly easy to find.

As to 9-speed chains, if you have problems finding them, 10-speed chains will work just fine on a 9-speed cassette. I've used 10-speed chains on an 8-speed cassette and it worked perfectly.
Old 10-08-21, 06:55 PM
stratman

Originally Posted by HillRider
A quick Google search turned up dozens of listings for 9-speed cassettes from Shimano, SRAM and a couple of lesser known brands in a variety of quality levels from HG50 up to Ultegra. Even Amazon lists them so I wouldn't worry about future supply problems. For that matter, even 7 and 8-speed cassettes are still fairly easy to find.

As to 9-speed chains, if you have problems finding them, 10-speed chains will work just fine on a 9-speed cassette. I've used 10-speed chains on an 8-speed cassette and it worked perfectly.
Do you think an XT cassette will last twice as long as a Sora cassette?
Old 10-08-21, 07:12 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
That depends entirely on how you use and maintain it, but there's nothing inherently more durable about XT. They do claim that the pins behind the biggest cog can help prevent spoke damage in the event of an overshift.
Old 10-08-21, 07:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
I'm keen to future proof my set up, so have bought spare derailleurs, shifters. What I haven't stocked up on is spare cassettes (or chains).
This hoarding priority seems wrong. In order of importance: chain, cassette, derailleurs, then shifters.
Old 10-08-21, 07:39 PM
stratman

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This hoarding priority seems wrong. In order of importance: chain, cassette, derailleurs, then shifters.
Do you think an XT cassette will last longer than a Sora cassette?
Old 10-08-21, 07:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Some basic understandings are due here. The steels used for cogs are chosen for their manufacturing ease and cost before any wear rate. For any significantly longer wear the steel in a specific cassette will need to be hardened and I don't know of any claim of this from any brand. What I do hear a lot is about the coatings on the steel. Oxide/bluing type finishes on the low cost and various harder coatings on the better stuff. These coatings are still softer then the grit that a chain gets coated with in time. And that's the heart of the issue. The abrasives that are grit and grime will wear any coating or base steel given enough neglect or miles. Think about using sand paper on the various cogs and name one that won't be scratched by that. The better cog coatings will aid the chain's smoothness a tiny bit, reduce engagement friction slightly until the coating is worn through. BTW these coatings are only scant ten thousandths to a a few thousandths thick and tend to be brittle so they can break down and flake off off with stress.

I consider cogs, like chains, rings, pads, and bar tape to be consumables (and rims too but others spend so much for their wheels that they can't get past the investment aspects). Sometimes I get lower cost stuff for myself and sometimes I splurge and get the fancy and lighter weight expensive stuff. But My eyes are open to what I am expecting. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 10-08-21 at 07:59 PM. Reason: late evening keyboard challenges
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 10-08-21, 07:46 PM
stratman

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Some basic understandings are due here. The steels used for cogs are chosen for their manufacturing ease and cost before any wear rate. For any significantly longer wear the steel in a specific cassette will need to be hardened and I don't know of any claim of this from any brand. What I do hear a lot is about the coatings on the steel. Oxide/bluing type finishes on the low cost and various harder coatings on the better stuff. These coatings are still softer then the grit that a chain gets coated with in time. And that's the heart of the issue. The abrasives that are grit and grime will wear any coating or base steel given enough neglect or miles. Think about using sand paper on the various cogs and name one that won't be scratched by that. The better cog coatings will aid the chain's smoothness a tiny bit, reduce engagement friction slightly and until the coating is worn through BTW these coatings are only scant ten thousandths to a a few thousandths thick and tens to be brittle so they can break down and flake off off with stress.

I consider cogs, like chains, rings, pads, and bar tape to be consumables (and rims too but others spend so much for their wheels that they can't get past the investment aspects). Sometimes I get lower cost stuff for myself and sometimes I splurge and get the fancy and lighter weight expensive stuff. But My eyes are open to what I am expecting. Andy
Thank you for a useful reply.
Old 10-08-21, 08:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Given the same care and riding style, no. As above, the more expensive cassette will be lighter and prettier but not significantly more durable.
Old 10-08-21, 09:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Doubtful.

When I went 1X conversion on my hybrid bike, I decided to replace my 8 speed 11-32 Altus CS-HG31 cassette to get the slightly different 11-30 gearing, and paid a few more dollars for an Alivio CS-HG51 which has a shinier finish than an Acera CS-HG41.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 10-08-21 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-08-21, 10:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
No
Old 10-08-21, 10:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

No X 2
Old 10-08-21, 10:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

Thanks.
Don't forget spare chainrings. Triples have fallen from favor.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 10:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I don't know if this is true for 9 speed, but for some of the 11 and 12 speed cassettes, the largest cogs are aluminum, so they are likely to be shorter lived.
Old 10-08-21, 10:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts

No, they don't. However, they are lighter
Old 10-08-21, 10:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The coatings Andy mentioned aren’t really there for wear, for the most part. They are rust prevention, and gunk doesn’t stick as hard to glossy surfaces. So in that sense, yes, they help. They’re also prettier.

The best way to future proof your bike is… not to worry about that, it’s doomed. Premium 9 speed is a snapshot of 15-20 years ago.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-08-21 at 10:54 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-11-21, 10:16 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I don't know if this is true for 9 speed, but for some of the 11 and 12 speed cassettes, the largest cogs are aluminum, so they are likely to be shorter lived.
OTOH the large cogs are about the same size as the chainwheels which IME last longer than steel cassettes.