Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe tires - Big Ben Plus vs Big Apple

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21, 07:47 PM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

I'm leaning toward upgrading a couple pieces of my MTB instead of buying a new hybrid, and my search has taken me to Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tires and Schwalbe Big Apple tires. My current Maxxis tires are 29x2.2 and I'll be going down to 29x2.0.

I believe my Maxxis tires weigh 590g, the Big Apple tires look to weigh 740g, and the Big Ben Plus tires look to weigh 920g

So my main wants out of new tires are road grip (pavement 95% of riding), flat protection, smooth/comfy ride and little rolling resistance. I'm pretty much using my MTB as a cheap fitness hybrid with big tires (like the comfort and stability). A little extra speed would be nice but not necessary.

Do you guys think the Big Ben Plus or Big Apples would be better for what I'm looking for?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-21, 05:25 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Can't speak to the Big Apples as I haven't run them, but my GF and I run regular Big Bens (not the "Plus" version) for touring and the occasional day ride when we ride the touring bikes. Unless you're riding in really flat-prone areas(surfaces), I doubt you'll need the Plus versions of the BBs. My BBs have about 1000 miles on them so far riding mainly road and some rail-trail type surfaces & gravel. A few days in there riding in the rain. No issues. No flats. Good traction. As far as ride-quality..wonderful. Super easy rolling tire, cushy soft ride. The regular BBs come in at 795g (28x2/50-622). I think you'd be fine on the Big Apples too. We only went with the BBs due to the additional touring loads.
Old 10-20-21, 03:03 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I put a pair of Big Apples (26x2.35) on my wife's Electra Townie Go 7 and they are amazing tires. Going on 2 years of several days per week rides with no punctures or spinouts. She rides gravel roads and river bank trails with a heavy load (dog up front and full panniers in the back. )
Nothing but praise for these tires.
I also put the Marathon Plus on my Vado with same result. (700x47c / 28x1.75) 700c rims are also the same as 29er when you exceed ~2" width tires

These tires can be pressured high and still have a nice ride. Never tried the Big Ben's but they are all of the same caliber of tire.I think it really boils down to what size tire you want and what is available. I consider them all about the same.

Last edited by restlessswind; 10-20-21 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-20-21, 03:23 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Love Big Apples. Never tried Big Ben's or the BB Plus.
Old 10-20-21, 06:00 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Schwalbe 29x2 tires

If you poke around the internet/EBay you can find Marathon Supremes for less than $50 each. I love mine, fast, light and flat- proof(almost).
Old 10-21-21, 12:57 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
It’s been a couple years since I switched to lighter tires so my info may be dated. Can tell you I wore three sets of Big Apple down to the casing. Used them that much because they were good. Same size as you are thinking of. In all those miles just one flat. It was a short piece of wire which was likely trimmed brake cable from my own basement. Even then it occurred on a tire that was very very worn. Actual inflated width for a 700x50 on a 19mm internal rim was about 44.

You will notice the added weight. The ride is really good, best I’ve had from an inexpensive utility tire. The Marathon Supreme is a much better tire and it costs more. Beware of old Supremes with the immense thick wad of ‘Plus’ under the tread. Some of those are still around as dead stock and sell very cheap, which they should. Current Supreme is almost like a fat Schwalbe One. Theoretically a Supreme would be somewhat more flat vulnerable. In practice doubt it would flat at all. My skinny One has not.
Old 10-22-21, 05:50 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
I have a set of Big Apples on my Any-road bike. I really like them here in Cambodia. They are on 700c wheels and 22mm rims and measure right around 50mm.